FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Waterfox, a new browser
#51766 05/22/19 06:25 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

I haven't tried Waterfox but it looks interesting.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Waterfox, a new browser
jchuzi #51767 05/22/19 07:37 PM

It does indeed. But one should probably err on the side of caution and see where it where it's been and where it goes before committing to it on any level.

Having said that, you might want to take a gander under the (Community) Support page at waterfox.net. There would seem to be a fair whack of bugs and dissatisfaction with performance.
I'm not sure a cuppa joe [see Donate page] is in the offing quite yet.

grelber #51768 05/23/19 03:35 PM

I am using waterfox 68.0a1 to reply to your post, and yes I bought the developer a cup of coffee if for nothing else than a good effort. My impression so far is...
  • The "look and feel" are closer to Firefox than to Safari, Chrome, Opera.
  • At this point (an alpha version that will be the mainstream going forward) it is not particularly add-on or feature rich -- but I expect that to change.
  • The UI is clean and distraction free
  • Performance "feels" relatively fast, but I have not done any head to head comparison with either Safari or Firefox.
  • Waterfox has a lot of room to grow, and it you don't like the way something works the source code is downloadable so you could modify it to your heart's content.
  • Although the NPAPI plug-ins plug in only one or two actually work at this point.
  • Waterfox is a work in process, but even at this stage it is quite usable and worthy of consideration
  • IMHO the developer has already earned his cup of Starbucks and I for one am willing to encourage him to continue to develop Waterfox and I will use it probably more than I use Firefox (which isn't all that much).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51769 05/24/19 06:13 PM

Pretty buggy.

Just tried to use the option to IMPORT bookmarks from HTML file. Got the spinning wheel of death and Waterfox not responding message. Frozen.

Had to restart the computer.

Approach with caution. If something as basic as importing a HTML file causes the computer to freeze . . .

MG2009 #51770 05/24/19 06:53 PM

For what it’s worth version 56 successfully imported my settings from safari technology preview. The version 65 alpha didn’t even offer the option to import settings from another browser.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51771 05/24/19 11:32 PM

I downloaded the app directly from the WATERFOX website - which, I presume, would automatically provide the latest (updated) version by default.

To Import Bookmarks: In the toolbar, select BOOKMARKS. Then, show all bookmarks. Then, the "star" icon/tab which gives the option to import HTML . . .

. . . but it doesn't work (after three attempts, three freezes, and three re-starts).

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard