for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reordering Devices in Finder window sidebar oddity
#51747 05/20/19 11:39 PM
OP Offline

Since upgrading to High Sierra recently I've run into several bugs, but this one has been the most annoying. I will use the report format suggested by joemikeb to explain:

PRODUCT:
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, specifically the Finder

SUMMARY OF PROBLEM:
Reordering of items under Devices in the sidebar of Finder windows gives unexpected and undesired results, including duplicated names.

REPRODUCEABILITY
Always reproducible, rebooting fixes it, quitting and relaunching the Finder does not.

DETAILED STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Reorder the icons of mounted hard drives/partitions up or down in the Devices list. It helps to have at least 4 items showing for the problem to be evident.

EXPECTED RESULTS:
Items should retain their accurate names and positions no matter where they are moved in the list.

ACTUAL RESULTS:
As I move the icons up or down, the icons will be renamed to be a duplicate of another item already listed, and/or icons will move back to their original locations. For example, if I start with this and try to move Macintosh HD down to put it under Backup One:

Macintosh HD
Backup One
Backup Two
Backup Three

I may end up with this:

Backup One
Macintosh HD
Backup Three
Macintosh HD

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
On my system, I noticed the problem only occurs with my startup drive and the two clone backup drives I have (a nightly and a weekly) of the startup drive that were created with SuperDuper. Moving around the other icons I have (another partition and my Time Machine backup) do not cause the problem to occur.

PRODUCT VERSION:
Finder 10.13.6

CONFIGURATION:
Mid-2011 21.5-inch iMac (macOS High Sierra 10.13.6)

Re: Reordering Devices in Finder window sidebar oddity
Rick Deckard #51748 05/21/19 04:07 PM

FWIW I cannot reproduce your error in Mojave (MacOS 10.14.6 beta). Since it is highly unlikely that High Sierra will be upgraded, the solution to your problem would appear to be upgrading to Mojave.

By-the-way, thanks for using the template. It really makes it easier to understand and reproduce the issue.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51749 05/21/19 05:31 PM
OP Offline

I probably would upgrade to Mojave, except my Mid-2011 iMac will not install it. High Sierra is the end of the road for this machine, and I have no desire to perform any hacks to get Mojave to run.

It's also possible this anomaly would transfer to Mojave anyway, since I forgot to mention I'd asked about this problem on another forum, and the fellow who responded also could not reproduce the issue.

So, it's something particular to my system or some odd bug in the way the Finder deals with attached clone volumes. Were any of the volumes you tried to move around clones of your boot drive? If so, were they cloned with SuperDuper?

I will write to the developer of SuperDuper and see if he's experienced anything similar.

Rick Deckard #51752 05/21/19 09:11 PM

At least one of the volumes was cloned with SuperDuper.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard