FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Preview Preferences
#51739 05/18/19 04:44 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Does anyone know a way to set the Preferences in the Preview app so that files automatically will open in FULLSCREEN mode when launched?

(Currently, I get a random-sized window when a .pdf is opened and then I have to re-size to get fullscreen.)

Many thanks,
MG2009
Re: Preview Preferences
MG2009 #51741 05/18/19 05:36 AM

command-control-F is the only option of which I"m aware.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51742 05/18/19 11:05 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

I realize that . . . but I am looking for a way to AVOID the need for the "second" step. Ideally, just have the file open in FULLSCREEN MODE when I click on the file's icon.

smile

MG2009 #51743 05/18/19 11:49 PM

I was saying "No" by making sure you're aware of the command as an alternative to mousing to the little dot and clicking, which I consider way more cumbersome.

I found How to Make Apps Open in Full Screen Mode on Mac Automatically, but I can't get it to work (in Mojave), nor am I certain it's your solution if you can.

Last edited by artie505; 05/19/19 09:20 AM. Reason: Clarify

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51744 05/19/19 11:57 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for trying . . . BUT . . .

Re: AND, you must have disabled the “Close Windows when quitting apps” feature in Mac OS system settings

I used to have this disabled. However, the next time the app is launched - in my case, PREVIEW - it automatically opens the last document which was used in that app AS WELL AS the new one selected to open. Most annoying. The only way to avoid that, as far as I know, is to select "Close Windows When Quitting Apps" so that only the desired file opens the next time the app is launched.

Oh, well, one can't have everything, I suppose.

tongue

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #51745 05/20/19 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
I used to have this disabled. However, the next time the app is launched - in my case, PREVIEW - it automatically opens the last document which was used in that app AS WELL AS the new one selected to open. Most annoying. The only way to avoid that, as far as I know, is to select "Close Windows When Quitting Apps" so that only the desired file opens the next time the app is launched.

There is another way: close the open window (⌘W) or close the open document (⇧⌘W) before you quit Preview or shut down your computer. This has the added advantage of freeing up RAM for use by other apps.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51746 05/20/19 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: MG2009

There is another way: close the open window (⌘W) or close the open document (⇧⌘W) before you quit Preview or shut down your computer. This has the added advantage of freeing up RAM for use by other apps.

Which simply changes the extra opening step that MG2009 wants to avoid to an extra closing step. tongue

I don't recall ever running across a 3rd party app that watches for app "x" to be opened and opens it in full screen mode, but maybe there's one out there.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard