for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
No incoming sound on Messages app in High Sierra
#51713 05/15/19 05:30 PM
OP Offline

I just upgraded to High Sierra a few weeks ago and noticed an issue with the Messages app I did not have with Sierra. I no longer get an incoming message sound if Messages is the frontmost app. If Messages is in the background, it does make the Note sound as it always has, as selected in Messages preferences.

This is annoying because I have an external monitor and keep the Messages window at the left portion of it. Since I can scroll pages in web browsers and other apps on my main monitor without them necessarily being the frontmost application at the time, sometimes Messages stays in front and I do not realize a new text has been sent because I get no audio cue that it has.

As I mentioned, this is a change in behavior from Sierra. I hope it is simply a corrupted preference of some kind and not a new design decision from the Mothership.

Re: No incoming sound on Messages app in High Sierra
Rick Deckard #51726 05/16/19 08:23 PM

I would be inclined to say this is normal, even though you experienced it differently before. It certainly is that way on an iOS device; if the app is foremost you are seeing it. Multiple monitors were not considered. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #51736 05/17/19 03:32 PM
OP Offline

That was my fear. I will have to check with someone who uses Messages and is running High Sierra.

Perhaps it is similar to Apple removing the startup chime. Apple has removed most of the color from windows in the Finder already, perhaps they are taking out those pesky, interruptive sounds as well.

Rick Deckard #51737 05/17/19 04:03 PM

I am running Mojave (10.14.6) not High Sierra, but I do not get a chime from incoming messages when Messages is in the foreground. The same is true in Messages in iOS 12.3. Given the code for the app in both cases is virtually identical, that is not surprising.

There are other messing apps in the App Store that may work differently, but most of those are tied to specific messaging system such as Verizon, Outlook, Facebook, etc. frown

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51740 05/18/19 05:18 AM
OP Offline

OK, thanks joemikeb. So it looks like it's an Apple design decision.

If it weren't for the fact that come Fall and the release of macOS 10.15 that Sierra won't be getting any more security updates, I'd probably stick with it for a long time.

I'm hoping to acquire the newest 27" iMac available before 10.15 ships so I can stay with Mojave and 32-bit app goodness for awhile longer. I have a few 32-bit apps that aren't likely to make the transition to 64-bit I still want to use, mainly DragThing. My favorite Mac app of all-time, I use it every day, many times a day, and there is no comparable replacement I've found.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard