FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
multiple autofill in Safari?
#51394 03/26/19 02:37 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

My wife and I share the same account in our computer. We use Safari's Autofill and find it very convenient, but, by default, it fills in my name instead of hers (yes, we have the same address). Is there any way to have it list both names as a choice? (She can change my name to hers when it has autofilled, but that can be a PITA.)

We don't want to set up a separate account for her because that, potentially, is more trouble than it's worth.

On a related topic, our Discover Card account (we both have our own cards) has the same number for both of us. Safari > Preferences > Autofill will allow me to add a card, but because it's the same number, only one entry will be available, either my name or my wife's. Is there a way to force it to accept both names with the same number?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: multiple autofill in Safari?
jchuzi #51397 03/26/19 05:14 PM

It is possible.
When the autofill with your name appears, manually edit it to your wife's name and password. Safari will ask if you want to save the changes; say "yes". The next time you go to log in to that site, the name/password text blocks should be empty (even if they are not, try the next step). Click in one and a pop-up menu appears with your two name options.

This method might also give you two logins for the Discover Card site.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #51398 03/26/19 06:24 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Thanks for that, Ira. That's not exactly what I wanted to do. I don't log into all sites that I visit, but I wanted a way to have Autofill give me the choice of using my wife's name or mine when I go into such a site.

I also don't need two logins for the Discover site. Instead, when I buy something and am asked to input credit card info, I want my wife's name as well as mine to be available when I autofill credit card data. That doesn't seem to work because our card numbers are the same.

As an aside, Discover is really on top of things. They are sending me new cards with different numbers after spotting a spurious (and, it turns out, fraudulent) charge today. This is a big nuisance, but I applaud them for their vigilance and service.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #51405 03/27/19 03:51 PM

Ahh, autofill once you have logged in to a site. tongue

I have found that on sites where I have the dual login option I describe above, the autofill information follows that of the specific login person. That may not help in your situation if you have not logged in.

I have noticed that autofill gives me choices in some situations, like name and address with or without phone number. It is probably getting the options from my card in Contacts. You might be able to create a contact card that mimics the two of you, but I can't quite envision the form at this time. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #51407 03/27/19 05:12 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Yes, Autofill uses the info in Contacts. I would need a way to specify my wife's contact page as well as mine.

Jon

jchuzi #51408 03/27/19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Yes, Autofill uses the info in Contacts. I would need a way to specify my wife's contact page as well as mine.

The only solution I can think of is using a third party Safari extension such as Text Templates For Safari to fill in the forms.

NOTE: I have not personally tested Text Templates For Safari so I offer no assurances that it would work the way it sounds in the App Store description. My wife and I resolved your problem by each of us having our own separate logon account. That is not always ideal either.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard