FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
icloud a bit haywire
#51095 02/13/19 07:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Suddenly, things (reside in icloud but I access on both laptop/ desktop) --some I edit on my latptop are not being reflected on desktop (spiritual word doc); and things I'm deleting in one folder on desktop (temp docs); are not being deleted on laptop version, - in fact the laptop version of that folder seems to place those back to the desktop versioni. Help! madness.

Usually works like a charm.

Have not changed anything recently.

Re: icloud a bit haywire
kevs #51098 02/14/19 02:33 AM

No answer, but I have some questions that may point to a solution:
  • In System Preferences > iCloud Drive > Options > Desktop & Documents Folders checked (✔) and in that same window is Optimize Mac Storage checked (✔) on on both your Macs?
  • Do both Macs typically have reliable internet access when you are using them?
  • Do you have adequate free storage space on both Macs? — on your iCloud Drive?
  • I hate to mention this but have you rebooted either or both of your Macs since this began?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51099 02/14/19 04:10 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, actually, I opened a case with Apple and the supervisor is getting engineers on this. So frustrated had to post... but let's see what they find.

Everything you asked is A ok. We archived icloud drive today, and they will dig in. Currently, have to turn off syncing on desktop, and can't trust what files are most current.

Never seen anything like it in 2 years using icloud drive. They have no easy solution quick fix to it; sync meltdowns.. Will report back!

bTW one of your specialties is happening in icloud drive: (that you have written about in the past) what call it in finder, there the file name column (D store? ), the width of finder section where the column name is? It's always shrinking back tight, wont stick, wont remember where it was set.

kevs #51130 02/20/19 04:48 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

New bad news with Apple, senior supervisors used be quality, smart, experienced, now all:

cocky, arrogant, ignorant.. don't get anything done. Real shock.

kevs #51131 02/20/19 08:11 PM

Certainly disappointing, but from my own experience training customer support engineers that attitude is often (generally?) the result of the supervisor's own sense of inadequacy. It appears in all organizations and is almost impossible to eliminate entirely. Was your problem...
  • Acknowledged?
  • Explained?
  • Solved?
  • denied?
If the answer to any of these was not to your satisfaction you have the right to ask that it be...
  1. Assigned to another supervisor (this can be tricky because another supervisor may be reluctant to make the first look bad so it needs to be handled delicately.)
  2. escalated to the next higher level (the supervisor you are working with is likely to resist passing a problem up to her/his boss so you might have to strongly insist.)
For the time being you might have to be satisfied with an acknowledgement of the problem because they honestly don't know how to fix it. In that case I would ask them to keep you apprised of the problem status and when it is fixed. But don't just let it drop. If one person is having a problem there may well be others who have not recognized it or simply has not reported it — yet.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51133 02/20/19 10:50 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Interesting Joe.
Well I learned 20 years ago, don't talk to front line Apple folks. Ask right away for senior lever supervisors. And for yo years they were mostly A level, Very impressive. This continued to about a month ago.

I got a guy Felipe, senior level, who knew nothing.

So I got another guy who was nice and knew a bit. Seemed smart, but as two weeks went on he passed issue to the 'engineers' and then never got back.

Today I got guy Shane, total cocky, arrogant guy had to hang up.

Then I got a guy today Steve who seem real good/ smart old style. He figured out the issue is probably ATT super mediocre upload times. (so I'm trying to contact now with ATT which is just as brutal-- you can never log into their site as they always say the user name or password is incorrect)

Then my old Apple tech guy called back and said the engineers finally got back to him , after 5 days waiting and need logs, and this will be a very time intensive process to deliver to them. ( need to get special software and get into the terminal) Told him I'm transferring case to someone new.

Deal is is you don't get someone terrific fast you really suffer.

But your insight are good.

Oh.. they all say there is not tier above senior reps, so no one to complain or escalate to with Apple

Last edited by kevs; 02/20/19 10:53 PM.
kevs #51145 02/22/19 03:48 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Update: Love to get opinion votes, Joe/ others...

1) rep one Apple, young guy, ok, not great, said engineers want to install a software that will check logs, see what's going on; and then get into terminal, complicated set up..

2) Newer rep, smarter, says upload issue is with my modem router, it's slow. Trying to get ATT over, but hard to reach.

3) Woke up last morning and some new paragraphs in a word documents I wrote on laptop previous night vanished. The document was replaced by an older copy. The text text has not come back.

4) Same night I rearranged a folder, trimmed de cluttered and trimmed 50 sub folders to 15, and combined some etc. Next morning it was all back, deleted folders reappeared. It was a mess. Will have to redo.

5) Also, it just occurred to me, and neither Apple rep offered idea: I just decided a week ago to switch from Crashplan to Backblaze for clouid backup. So this could be stressing upload speeds as well as ATT mediocre wifi.

Bottom line question: I'm thinking, just noticed that my laptop and Imac share well in house. Never really noticed this share feature. 95% of sharing is in house. 5% on laptop at cafes and travel trips. Maybe I'll just bail on icloud. Even if this is solved, if it could happen once (total meltdown -- work disappearing and being replaced by old versions. Deleted folders coming back) It could happen again. No?

Or I could keep trouble shooting, fix it all and enjoy icloud as I have been for 2-3 years.

I been loving icloud, but I'm leaning toward just keeping mostly everything on stable hardrives and just using icloud ala carte as needed,; maybe just keep the food recipes there so when I'm in market I can quickly access that type of stuff.

Votes/ opinions? Thanks.

kevs #51146 02/22/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
"....I'm leaning toward just keeping mostly everything on stable hardrives...".

That's what I do.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #51147 02/22/19 04:33 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ryck,
Have you used icloud drive?

kevs #51151 02/22/19 09:26 PM

Ryck, Have you used icloud drive?

Nope. I have my Calendars and Contacts synchronized through iCloud but that's it. I checked my free 5GB and see that I've used a whopping 10.2 MB.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #51156 02/23/19 02:41 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ryck, you have never used icloud for normal documents because of the fear of the issues I'm having?

kevs #51157 02/23/19 03:12 AM

I have never used iCloud because the idea of having my data someplace other than where I have complete control over its security makes me uneasy.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #51158 02/23/19 03:21 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ryck, ok I did not worry about that, but what about the stability of it? I trusted Apple, granted, Backblaze caused this, but Apple should have been smart enough to just delay or stall: but to lose or overwrite on version with older version is nuts agree? Or bring back from the dead things one has have deleted?

But it's ok with very non critical non confidential files/ folders no?

kevs #51161 02/23/19 02:42 PM

Ryck, ok I did not worry about that, but what about the stability of it?

I don’t know enough about iCloud to comment on its stability.

But it's ok with very non critical non confidential files/ folders no?

No. The idea of having to figure how to have iCloud store only non-critical files doesn’t make any sense to me. Why would I want extra copies (other than on my backup drives) of files that don’t really matter much anyway?

Last edited by ryck; 02/23/19 02:44 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #51162 02/23/19 02:51 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ryck: Food list items.. for shopping.. etc things you may want to have on the fly/ location...

It was great for me, until it wasn't.

kevs #51169 02/23/19 07:01 PM

Ryck: Food list items.. for shopping.. etc things you may want to have on the fly/ location...

Nope. I have a paper list attached to the fridge with a magnet and updated as things run out or go on sale....has never failed.

FYI, I don't carry any kind of iPhone. I have a Motorola Razr which is only turned on when I need to make a call or am expecting one. I don't need a phone that does all those other things like making pizzas or doing the laundry.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #51171 02/23/19 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
FYI, I don't carry any kind of iPhone. I have a Motorola Razr which is only turned on when I need to make a call or am expecting one. I don't need a phone that does all those other things like making pizzas or doing the laundry.

Your pattern is more and more the exception and not the rule. Neither of our "kids" (they are in their fifty's) as well as a rapidly growing number of friends our age only have cell phones.

We still have a land line is because we still have accounts linked to that number, but we are in the process of transferring all of our contacts to our cell phone numbers so we too can dump the landline. Of the 70 to 100+ landline calls we gt in an average week, well over 99% are robo-calls. It is our landline phone that is kept turned off and will likely remain so until, like our children and friends, we cut the cord altogether.

Many new developments in the area are pre-wiring the homes and apartments for internet (or providing area WiFi), but they are not wiring for land line phone service and the telco has no plans to provide landline phone service to the developments. There are rumors the telco has approached the city to abandon landline service in older areas where the cable plant needs to be replaced.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51174 02/23/19 11:49 PM

I go beyond ryck, and don't own a cell phone (other than an unconnected one that I use as a camera).

I pay $40/month for my Fios land line, and although my phone virtually never rings, I wouldn't be without it

I send and receive texts via email (My experience is that texting is what people mostly do these days.), which can be cumbersome, but not nearly as cumbersome as carrying even the smallest cell phone.

Beyond their having completely invaded and destroyed the sanctity of the workplace, I think my biggest peeve with cell phones is that you no longer get to talk to anyone in a household other than the specific person whose number you dialed, so partners, kids, etc. have become something of non-entities.

I concede that there certainly is some need for cell phone immediacy, but I think the immediacy has faaar overtaken the need, and I'll happily risk missing out on the need to avoid the immediacy.

(Verizon has discontinued copper wire service to parts of Brooklyn, but if there's a target "No Mas!" date, I haven't heard of it.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #51176 02/24/19 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Your pattern is more and more the exception and not the rule.

And I hope to be that exception always. I have a cell phone essentially because I sometimes need to make a call when away from home but there are no longer any phone booths. And, it represents a level of security in case I ever need to call 911.

So, since I am forced to have a cell phone, I do it as cheaply as possible....buy an inexpensive phone and keep it until forced to replace it (as inexpensively as possible). My monthly plan costs only $11.20. I have a landline phone as part of my low-cost internet package (my ISP is a telco) but don't have the level of crank calls that you get. In fact, it's now none because the telco provides a blocking service that is easy to use.

We are in our seventh and hopefully last home which is wired for everything so I'm not too worried about new home developments. Maybe my epitaph will be: "We wanted to warn him about the danger but couldn't get in touch." laugh

My kids are not different than yours (cellphones only) but I must admit....every time I hear them say how much they're spending on a new phone, I cringe.

Last edited by ryck; 02/24/19 12:30 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #51178 02/24/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Beyond their having completely invaded and destroyed the sanctity of the workplace, I think my biggest peeve with cell phones is that you no longer get to talk to anyone in a household other than the specific person whose number you dialed, so partners, kids, etc. have become something of non-entities.

Great point. And, of course, one landline phone serves everyone in the family rather than having the huge expense of a cell phone for each person.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #51179 02/24/19 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
...one landline phone serves everyone in the family....

That depends on how many daughters you've got. grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51181 02/24/19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
That depends on how many daughters you've got. grin

Ha ha ha. Excellent point.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard