An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#51103 - 02/15/19 03:03 PM Trump's tax reform - Just another con
ryck Offline

Loc: Okanagan Valley
It's too bad that most of Trump's base don't or can't read, this might open their eyes.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4
OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Canon MX710 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner
Time Machine on 320GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro
Carbon Copy Clone on 500GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro

#51105 - 02/16/19 03:13 AM Re: Trump's tax reform - Just another con [Re: ryck]
jchuzi Online

Loc: New York State
There are, at least, some wealthy people with a conscience. They’re Rich and They’re Mad About Taxes (Too Low!)

OS 10.14.5, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

#51106 - 02/16/19 07:18 AM Re: Trump's tax reform - Just another con [Re: ryck]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
What is really hidden in Trump's tax reform is an increase in taxes paid by the middle class so the tx rate on the wealthy can be reduced. December sales were the lowest in years and with the middle class not receiving tax refunds or worse ending up owing taxes no tax refund speeding bump can be expected. The economic outlook for 2019 is ⤵︎

In the meantime after declaring his non-emergency emergency the Trumpster boarded his private airliner to go play Golf at Mara Lago. (Since he took his private jet and left the vast communications network on Air Force One behind does that mean he doesn't want to know what is going on in the country during a National Emergency?)

#51107 - 02/16/19 07:55 AM Re: Trump's tax reform - Just another con [Re: joemikeb]
grelber Offline

Loc: North of 49th ||
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
What is really hidden in Trump's tax reform is an increase in taxes paid by the middle class so the [tax] rate on the wealthy can be reduced. December sales were the lowest in years and with the middle class not receiving tax refunds or worse ending up owing taxes no tax refund [speed] bump can be expected. The economic outlook for 2019 is ⤵︎ .

Be that all as it may + many other inequities in tax treatment, what most seem to miss is that lowered tax rates also mean lower withholding rates — which means that affected tax payers see a "refund" up front and may indeed wind up with a lower post-filing refund (and possibly a tax liability).
Frankly, I would like the government qua tax man to have the use of my money for a shorter rather than longer period, especially if a refund is in the works — ie, I want my money to work for me rather than the government.

#51108 - 02/16/19 09:05 AM Re: Trump's tax reform - Just another con [Re: grelber]
artie505 Online

Originally Posted By: grelber
Frankly, I would like the government qua tax man to have the use of my money for a shorter rather than longer period, especially if a refund is in the works — ie, I want my money to work for me rather than the government.

I wonder how many people voted Trump's way in the mid-terms because of their bigger paychecks (Think Carter-Reagan debate.) without realizing that they'd been conned defrauded, because at least part of the increase was their own money?

I don't know when the Treasury began financing itself with EXCESSIVE, INTEREST FREE withholding, but some of the refunds I've seen have been obscene...just another way to shift the burden to those who can least afford to bear it.

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderator:  alternaut, cyn