After a 20 year absence, I've been taking a look at computer games again.

I created an account at Steam, though you can also run a Steam program on your computer. Why would I want to do that?

I have to wade through a lot of junk to find something that would interest me. A normal internet experience, in other words. Steam should have a preference that allows you to enter the specs of your computer, then give you lists of games based on those specs and on your likes and dislikes. I spent a lot of time omitting games and adding games to a wishlist, but when I add a game I still get the message "This doesn't look like something you would like" despite the fact that it is the very kind of game I would like. Which is to say, another recommendation tool that doesn't work. People worry about AI taking over the world?

If Steam's system recommendation says "GeForce GTX 760-class (Intel HD 5300)", I know I don't need that specific graphics card, but what do I need? How do I know which cards (my card) run which games?

It shouldn't apply to me in most cases. I was never really a gamer even as a kid. I sucked at arcade games. I grew up on Infocom text adventures. I also remember enjoying SimCity, SimFarm, Railroad Tycoon II, Caesar III, and Tropico. Games like Deus Ex, Age of Empires and Myth and Myth II were fun but I don't think they would be fun to me now. I avoid shooters and any game that has me pounding on the keyboard repeatedly or getting rsi from mouse clicking. I was more interested in brainwork, though I found games like Myst impossible. Civilization III was good, but too addicting.

Some of these old games are really cheap. But will they work on my Mac. Always a crap shoot. They games like that all over G.O.G., and you can read the reviews of people complaining about how the game is supposed to work but doesn't.

Other than that, I'm not sure where else there is to go for games. Those two sites have a lot of stuff, but it takes to so long to navigate them.

I have Windows 7 on my Mac. I wonder if I could run Windows games that way.