for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple "Wearables" Sales Surpass Mac Sales
#51033 01/29/19 09:49 PM
OP Offline

Wearable Category Surpasses Mac. I also noticed Mac sales have dropped from 10% of Apple Revenue to 9%, but I am not sure when that happened. In light of the fact sales of all computer brands are falling that is not too surprising, but I for one hate to see it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Apple "Wearables" Sales Surpass Mac Sales
joemikeb #51034 01/29/19 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Wearable Category Surpasses Mac. I also noticed Mac sales have dropped from 10% of Apple Revenue to 9%, but I am not sure when that happened. In light of the fact sales of all computer brands are falling that is not too surprising, but I for one hate to see it.

Not quite...YET: "Apple's "Wearables, Home, and Accessories" category, which used to be called the "Other" category, has surpassed the iPad in revenue and is closing in on the Mac lineup as well. (Emphasis added)"

Does that 9% represent a real drop in Mac sales or steady, even increasing, sales and a relative drop?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51035 01/30/19 12:19 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Does that 9% represent a real drop in Ma c sales or steady, even increasing, sales and a relative drop?
It represents a real drop in the percentage of corporate earnings and from the available numbers nothing else should er inferred. I have read elsewhere that Apple's share of the total computer market has increased slightly but the computer market is slowly but steadily shrinking.

The computer market is shrinking because of...
  • Global market saturation and
  • more and more consumers and businesses are using smart phones and tablets for tasks that have traditionally been the realm of computers. (For example: an increasing number of small businesses are using an iPad as their Cash Register and accounting system combined.)
Apple could be shipping the same or even fewer Macs and it would appear as an increase in overall market share.
Not quite...YET: "Apple's "Wearables, Home, and Accessories" category, which used to be called the "Other" category, has surpassed the iPad in revenue and is closing in on the Mac lineup as well.

Elsewhere on the same site they say "Wearables sales surpass Macs" I don't know if that is two different reports view, an editorial faux paux, or what. They are both at 9% of corporate earnings so any which is the highest is not highly significant.

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/30/19 12:24 AM. Reason: adde res[onse

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51048 02/02/19 11:25 PM

Wearable Category Surpasses Mac. I also noticed Mac sales have dropped from 10% of Apple Revenue to 9%.... (Emphasis added)

Does that 9% represent a real drop in Ma c sales or steady, even increasing, sales and a relative drop?
It represents a real drop in the percentage of corporate earnings and from the available numbers nothing else should er inferred. I have read elsewhere that Apple's share of the total computer market has increased slightly but the computer market is slowly but steadily shrinking. (Emphasis added)

Both Apple's quarterly revenue and Mac sales as a percentage of revenue having fallen - and that against the backdrop of price increases - doesn't bode well for Macs. frown

Important clarification: You're confusing revenue and earnings. The former is the top line of Apple's profit and loss statement; the latter is its bottom line.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51052 02/03/19 08:01 PM

Makes me feel old.

deniro #51053 02/03/19 11:04 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: deniro
Makes me feel old.

You are not alone in feeling that way! laugh

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard