FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Glove recommendation
#51026 01/29/19 05:05 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Another year of trying to find a pair of gloves that will keep my hands warm.

Tonight's low predicted to be 18 below (F), which is as cold as I can recall it getting around here. We usually sink below zero a few days every winter, though not to this extreme. I remember one rare day in the 1990s when the wind chill was 40 degrees below. That was the only time my Toyota wouldn't start. I didn't have a garage, and my car always sat out.

Remarkable thing is, we had a green Christmas. Yesterday was the first time all winter that I had to use the snowblower.

So if anyone has found a pair they like, fire away. I looked last year and came up with nothing. I need something waterproof and windproof. Last year I grudgingly concluded that I probably can't stay under $100, but I'm not going over $200 unless I have to. As usual, I have done a ton of research on the internet. I've always had trouble with cold hands. Someone suggested I might have Raynaud's syndrome, but I don't think so. Your hands noticeably change color with that (yellow, for example) and mine don't.

I have a $70 pair of Manzella's that are still wet from yesterday. I hope to take them back to the local ski shop where I bought them because they are supposed to be waterproof. They're not bad gloves—if you live in San Francisco.

I know mittens will keep my hands warmer than gloves, but I dislike the lack of dexterity. I haven't worn mittens since I was a kid.

Re: Glove recommendation
deniro #51030 01/29/19 08:13 PM

Here in Texas I have little use for winter gloves, but you might check the offerings at Duluth Trading. They have several offerings targeted for the construction and trades industries even in Alaska. They are not pretty, but functional and well made.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
deniro #51045 02/02/19 11:48 AM

I'm really skinny...zero fat on my hands, and I just came back from a 30 minute, 18-20º with light wind NYC walk, so I've got a pretty good perspective on my gloves.

I wear a pair of Manzellas (Primaloft filled, and there's a label that says "Outlast", but I"ve got no idea what it's about) that cost me $80 (in a high-end store), probably 15 years ago, lined with a pair of lightweight (but heavier than liners), Polartec Marmots, and I didn't have to put my hands in my pockets, which is remarkable for me!

I think there's a basic problem with/misunderstanding about "performance" type gloves which is that that if you're not "performing", i.e. continuously generating new body heat to replace the heat you're continuously losing regardless of how well insulated they are, they don't do a heck of a good job.

Although these biker gloves sound good, I think they require a motorcycle's electrical system to power them, but I've seen some that are powered by "D" cells attached to their cuffs, which I imagine might be extremely useful from a biker perspective tongue , but might burn an awful lot of batteries if you're outdoors a lot.

Why don't you call RevZilla support? Odds are that they'll be able to help you out.

I was very unhappy with mittens the one time I tried them.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
deniro #51046 02/02/19 05:53 PM

Since you seem to live in a moderately northern clime, you should be able to find something suitable without having to take out a second mortgage.
I've lived for over 40 years in a region where winter temps are generally below 0°F. I run (= slog = slow jog) outdoors down to ca -20°C/-4°F, sometimes colder as long as the wind chill isn't too grim.
The only gloves I've ever used over the years — and I've used a wide assortment — I've bought at Walmart (which at the moment is clearing winter stock) and have never paid more than $10 CDN for same: usually something like a nylon or polyester vinyl shell + cotton on polyester lining + Thinsulate® interlining. They more than suffice to ward off the cold.

grelber #51047 02/02/19 06:10 PM

I'm not a jogger, but I know that jogging generates body heat, and, judging from the way I see joggers dressed, even in the dead of winter, plenty of it.

I think this comes down to personal circumstances.

For instance, when I was researching my Canada Goose jacket I read any number of reviews whose writers said they were comfortable at 20º with no more than a T-shirt under the jacket, whereas I'd be in the back of an ambulance in less than 15 minutes under those circumstances.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51051 02/03/19 07:59 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes, I do live in a northern clime not far from a great lake. 20 below last week. Not much snow, but record cold. We usually don't drop to that extreme. Schools closed. No mail. No snow plows. Few people went out. Too cold for a Westie. That's cold.

I've seen those battery powered gloves and various heatpack devices. Not for me. I'm starting to worry about landfills, and one more disposable thing is a nuisance. I tried battery powered socks once. Too hot.

I've seen people suggest the two layer path: a liner glove, then maybe a mitten over it.

In gloves the winning combination appears to be Gore-tex shell with Thinsulate lining.

Last edited by deniro; 02/03/19 07:59 PM.
deniro #51054 02/03/19 11:10 PM

I've got a pair of these guys.

The original ad I saw said that they had been designed for the Army, and that rather than generating real heat they operate at only body temperature.

I wore them a couple of times, and they did a respectable job, but they were a nuisance to work with, and they burned 4 AA batteries in about two hours.

They've sat in a drawer for the past bunch of years waiting 'til I'm next inspired to take a walk when it's down around 10º.

GORE-TEX is a good product, but Thinsulate has never made enough of a difference to make me feel like it was a good purchase, so I'll stick with my two layers unless there's a miracle product out there to which someone can direct me.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard