for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Epson Drivers
#5102 10/18/09 01:52 PM
OP Offline

The latest alert from Software Update tells me I should download and install Epson drivers. Before I do, I am wondering why to do it. The Epson printer we have is working fine with Snow Leopard; no problems. So, why download drivers? Just curious. Dave

Re: Epson Drivers
RichboroDave #5103 10/18/09 03:38 PM

It's quite possible you don't need this update as you may already have the latest driver(s) installed. User comments on Versiontracker's download page reflect this possibility.

In the KB article Mac OS X v10.6: Printer and scanner software accompanying the latest updaters Apple lists the driver versions included for various printer makes and models. It should be easy to compare this with what you've got. tongue

alternaut moderator
RichboroDave #5116 10/19/09 12:34 AM

I am under the impression that Software Update now looks for Print Drivers for the major Printers in Snow Leopard. One's printer can work and there can still be upgrades like in any program. I can't tell you if you should upgrade as there is always a risk involved, but why don't you go to the Epson site and see what the latest drivers are. On 10/10/2009 there was an update released, Apple Epson Printer Drivers - 2.1 Snow Leopard printer drivers.(This shows in both Version Tracker and MacUpdate). Once again I don't know if you should upgrade.
Mark

RichboroDave #5201 10/22/09 12:49 PM

I too have an Epson printer (Stylus Photo R340) that was working properly with 10.6.2 and yet the Apple SW Update indicated I needed the 2.1 update.

After making and verifying a backup, I installed the recommended updater. In my case the updater apparently installed OK, but I do not see any consequence from the updater; only now there are no indications that I need an update. Yet there are features such as printing CD labels that I do not use, so maybe things are changed in that regard. I dunno.

So I say, gopher it, but ONLY if you have a backup. As always there are reports from those who claim their printer is broken after the install, so indeed a bit of caution is required.

If you do install the updater, please post back of your success (or not).

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard