Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Prefer the old white keyboards -like G5 came with
#50947 01/18/19 09:45 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

prefer the old white keyboards (like G5 came with)

I had a source for new ones, but they closed.

I found a guy on ebay who sells refurbished, and asked him if they work on new imacs and he said, he does not think so, but I can return it within 30 days.. (what kind of lame response is that?)

The 'new' old ones I would buy work fine on my new 27" imac, but I thought I would ask this ebay guy anyway.

Anyone else know, and like old white keyboards?

Re: Prefer the old white keyboards -like G5 came with
kevs #50951 01/18/19 11:27 PM

I'm using the old white keyboard (plastic keys) with my 2014 iMac; no problems.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #50956 01/19/19 01:49 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon, cool. Don't you find they are way better than today's keyboards?

Only thing: I had a place for last 10 years that sold brand new ones for $50. They gone now. Only places I can find are shady places on ebay.. refurbished etc..

Do you have a recommendation?

kevs #50958 01/19/19 12:06 PM

I like the old keyboard better also. I have a new wired one with the metal chiclet keys but I prefer the feel of the old one. Unfortunately, I don't know of any sources for the old one.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #50964 01/19/19 09:53 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon, ok, I think it's worth it to risk with refurbished. Yes, metal chicletet, good phrase, cant' stand them, though I could adjust I suppose.

I found this, new and even cheaper than some of the refurbished/ used, but my hunch is it's not 1/2 as good as the old white Apples, your opinion?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBTZYLN/ref...44-c1f675b879f4

kevs #50965 01/19/19 10:41 PM

I have no experience with keyboards other than Apple. Still, the Macally looks good and the price is cheap enough to take chance. Personally, I would give it a try.

My 2¢.

Jon

kevs #50973 01/20/19 07:55 PM

Couldn't agree more! I like a keyboard that feels more like a ELECTRIC TYPEWRITER. Remember those?

I found a keyboard in 2010 which is pretty close to the feel of the old Mac ones.

https://www.daskeyboard.com

The one I have is most like their current "Model 4 Ultimate" . . . no characters printed on the keys. It has that old "clickety-clack" sound, too. And because there are no markings to cheat with, no one touches my computer. grin

MG2009 #50974 01/20/19 11:07 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

MG, that one is 4x price of even old Apples, you have certain need for it... But why not try used old Apple from Ebay, old g4, g5 white, used/ or refurbished? What think of Mcnally?

kevs #50982 01/22/19 03:01 AM

Price wasn't the main thing for me.

I like that the keys have NO markings on them. Did Apple produce a keyboard with unmarked keys? I still have the keyboard that came with the G5 computer in 2006, but the keys are labelled.

MG2009 #50985 01/22/19 01:51 PM

I have seen blank keycaps for sale to schools for teaching typing/keyboarding skills as well as stickers to cover the letters on the keys, but I don't recall ever seeing keyboards sold with blank keys.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50986 01/22/19 04:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Zero interest in that keyboard, don't even get it..

but Joe, your opinion on the old G4 G5 white keyboards vs today's?

kevs #50987 01/22/19 05:51 PM

I learned a long time ago that keyboards and keyboard preferences are highly individualistic and what might be a great keyboard for one person can be an anathema to another. I have also learned that keyboard styles are a bit of an acquired taste and a particular key touch that you didn't like at first can grow on you to become your new favorite, but that can take several months to happen.

I got the previously mentioned Matias keyboard on the promise that it had a touch similar to the often lamented IBM keyboard. Similar touch maybe, but either memory and reality were not the same or my tastes have changed because I was almost glad when it began throwing errors as it gave me an excuse to get a new keyboard.

The point is I really like my Apple Extended Magic keyboard and I have quit looking back to "great keyboards of the past" at least in part because my memories of keyboards past is perhaps surrounded in a rosy glow.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50988 01/22/19 06:07 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks, you are using the current chicklet new Macs? You don't feel it's too flat and odd feeling, as opposed to old white one that had old "normal" tactile feel? I've typed on the flat chiclet, I don't like them, but you think that after a few months it would feel as comfortable as old whites?

I think the main thing is they don't get dirty, whereas the whites get dust and collect dirt underneath.. but feel of them so odd.

kevs #50989 01/22/19 06:23 PM

I am using the current chicklet keyboard. Yes white does get dirty looking, but that is what keyboard cleaning swabs are for. The black keys or keyboards get just as dirty you just don't see it. Yes, as I said before, I wish there was more tilt but I have become accustomed to is being so flat (there are stands available and one would be easy enough to fabricate if it really bothered me that much, but hasn't been worth the cost or effort. The "Magic" keyboards have not had the problems that recent MacBook Pro keyboards have suffered from and in fact have a bit longer key travel. (I can vouch for that as I am using a "Magic" keyboard paired with a MacBook Pro so both are immediately at hand.)

CAVEAT:

This is MY experience and I make no assertion yours WILL be the same. I am hypothesizing yours MAY be similar. This is a situation where taste/preferences/choices are highly individualistic.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50990 01/22/19 08:04 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, absolutely, don't worry, I would never write back, hey I got this, and I don't like it, ughhh!

But you were happy and accustomed to the old white, non chicklets and like others found the chicklets annoying, and after months find them fine now?
(is that accurate? not sure.. taking liberties)

What call non chicklets..? White style old ones.

Interesting, "maybe' I will go with modern chicklets. Lot easier to replace, than old whites- I had this great supplier for years for brand new $50 G5 keyboards, brand new, I would buy 2 at a time, now closed. So it's now used or refurbished, and who knows if they are good.

Your opinion on buy those used old whites on ebay etc?

Your Opinon on: this faux version.. seem ok, but my guess is that it's not same feel:

As far as chicklet, If I adjust and go that route, I will get the long keyboard, this is good no? seems to be real Apple.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Aluminu...AiABEgIinfD_BwE

I still prefer wired.

This Matias seems to be a perfect Apple clone, but then why but it if you can still get the real Apple at Walmart?
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Matias/F...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

kevs #50991 01/22/19 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe, absolutely, don't worry, I would never write back, hey I got this, and I don't like it, ughhh!

I just don't want to claim myself as the "universal user" in an area that is so idiosyncratic. wink

But you were happy and accustomed to the old white, non chicklets and like others found the chicklets annoying, and after months find them fine now?
(is that accurate? not sure.. taking liberties)

What call non chicklets..? White style old ones.

Correct on both.

Your opinion on buy those used old whites on ebay etc?

I can't speak to those directly as I have never purchased or used any of them. However, I do know that a lot of the used equipment for sale on Ebay comes from corporations and large offices and have seen a LOT of use. I did work for a short while with a company that "saved money" by buying used computer equipment. Which we hauled to the trash after two weeks.

Your Opinon on: this faux version.. seem ok, but my guess is that it's not same feel:

I have no basis for comparison other than a price of A$30 in a very competitive market where good keyboards typically $70 to $100 or more. However, at the price it might be worth a try as it is cheap enough that you could discard it without feeling bad. But I don't know what your financial pain threshold is.

As far as chicklet, If I adjust and go that route, I will get the long keyboard, this is good no? seems to be real Apple.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Aluminu...AiABEgIinfD_BwE

I still prefer wired.

My desk is crowded enough without the wires and the current generation of bluetooth is far superior to the previous iterations but there again that is personal choice. That is a genuine Apple keyboard. I would say current generation, but Apple no longer builds (or at least sells in the United States) wired keyboard having gone over entirely to Magic (Bluetooth) keyboards and trackpads.

This Matias seems to be a perfect Apple clone, but then why but it if you can still get the real Apple at Walmart?
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Matias/F...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

I would not. (The Matias keyboard I had claimed an IBM keyboard touch.)

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/22/19 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling error

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50992 01/22/19 10:43 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, funny just realized, reading your response, did not remember— The only reason I prefer wired is because those old white one are only wired!

If I do bail on them and go, with modern chicklet, then yeah, no need. (My logictech mouse with 6 buttons is still a wired version though. Should see if they make that one wireless too...) Don't like the Apple mouse with just right/ left click only.

ON subject of wireless, yeah,does that ever glitch up?
The technology has improved on that..? Have not been following it..

Did not understand this "I would not. (The Matias keyboard I had claimed an IBM keyboard touch.)"... You are saying don't bother with Matias.. an IBM..? did not get that..

If you have any other full keyboard recommendations let me know. Actually, I'll start searching for the wireless version of the Apple long one... if that exist...

Thanks for the tips on old whites.. yeah, I'm done. I was able to replace them brand new up to a year ago. The used versions as you say are not worth it.

kevs #50993 01/23/19 02:04 AM

If I do bail on them and go, with modern chicklet, then yeah, no need. (My logictech mouse with 6 buttons is still a wired version though. Should see if they make that one wireless too...) Don't like the Apple mouse with just right/ left click only.

I gave up on any mouse or trackball a few years ag and have happily used either a trackpad and for detailed drawing the Apple Pen on my iPad linked to the Mac ever since. I give the trackpad credit for reducing any tendencies toward another round of carpal-tunnel syndrome. My hand and especially my wrist do not move nearly as much which reduces stress. Admittedly the trackpad did take more than a little getting used to, but now I can't imagine going back to either a mouse or trackball.

ON subject of wireless, yeah,does that ever glitch up?
The technology has improved on that..? Have not been following it..

The only glitch I have encountered has been with a device that still uses the older Bluetooth standard. When the computer/device and attached device are both using the new bluetooth standard I have not had a glitch. (Knock on wood)

Did not understand this "I would not. (The Matias keyboard I had claimed an IBM keyboard touch.)"... You are saying don't bother with Matias.. an IBM..? did not get that..

Sorry I wasn't clear, I started re-word that sentence, sorry is wasn't clear. I meant that I would not get the Matias keyboard if it were a clone of the Apple Keyboard. I bought the Matias keyboard because it claimed to at least have the touch of the old IBM keyboard not because it was an Apple clone.

If you have any other full keyboard recommendations let me know. Actually, I'll start searching for the wireless version of the Apple long one... if that exist…

The keyboard I am using is a wireless version of the Apple Extended keyboard and is currently available from Apple and authorized Apple distributors.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50994 01/23/19 02:49 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Wow, next time I'm in Apple store with look at the trackpad again. I tested in just once year ago and quickly and dismissed it. Too non intuitive. I have a Wacom table for years for Photoshop and it's great in there, but I hate it outside PS. (I know others are ok with it 24/ 7) What is the best things about the trackpad?

What is the new blootooth standard called? My 2 year old 27" imac should probably be ok. I suppose my 5 years old Macbook air then wont.

Matias, ok coincidence, I was just posting an option for the old white one, had no idea you even had ever heard of Matias!

"The keyboard I am using is a wireless version of the Apple Extended keyboard"

Extended you mean with numeric Keyboard?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ052LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-us-english-silver

Anyway, great info. I'm going to use up my final two old white ones up-- they last a couple of years and are new --on 27" and macbook air w/ display-- and then finally enter the new world with magic extended and investigate finally wireless mouses or who knows...I'll hear your answer on trackpad. Thanks.

Last edited by kevs; 01/23/19 02:51 AM.
kevs #50996 01/23/19 01:40 PM

Yes the Apple Extended keyboard has a numeric keypad, separate navigation keys (up, down, left right, page up, page down home, end, fn, forward delete, and 19 — coping 'em 19" function keys.

As to what I like about the trackpad:
  • Gestures: there are eleven different gestures some identical to those used on the iPhone and iPad and others unique to MacOS that I use many times each day if not each hour including swiping between full screen apps, mission control, and App Exposé. Each with a single unique gesture
  • With the trackpad the heel of my hand remains firmly fixed on the desktop and all that movement is in the fingertips. This virtually eliminates any carpal-tunnel stress.
  • the trackpad does not move on the desk so no mouse pad is needed
  • the trackpad software in MacOS allows you to customize the touch to a degree not possiblewith either a mouse or trackball
  • Since the trackpad itself never moves my hand automatically moves to the correct place to use it without even a glance. More than once the trackpad has gotten displaced and the cursor won't move because I am gesturing on the actual desktop, not the trackpad. laugh
  • FWIW I much prefer my magic trackpad location to the right of the magic keyoard to the MacBook Pro's trackpad location at the bottom center of the MacBook keyboard.
  • Inherently the trackpad offers far more ability and functionality than a mouse or trackball is reasonably capable of.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50999 01/23/19 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I learned a long time ago that keyboards and keyboard preferences are highly individualistic and what might be a great keyboard for one person can be an anathema to another.

And then there are those of us who get by with forefingers only and don't worry about angles, sounds, et cetera. The keys could be mounted on a cardboard box and it'd be fine. Peck, peck, peck.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #51000 01/23/19 07:52 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, with notate that info!
I'm still early for the trackpad.. but taking notes...

kevs #51003 01/23/19 11:17 PM

Re: " . . . don't even get it . . . "

A Google search will explain it to you in detail.

Simply put: One is FORCED to learn to type without looking at the keyboard. Looking down interrupts the flow and, therefore, slows down the typing. Conversely, not having to look at the keys' letters/numbers maintains the speed because one just keeps his/her eyes on the monitor while typing.

MG2009 #51004 01/23/19 11:30 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

sorry MG did not understand a word. Was there a link you forgot to post?

Final Joe, if you know, if not, I'll find out... the name of the new Bluetooth standard for the new magic keyboards, and do you think it could work great with a 2012 macbook air/ and 2017 27"

kevs #51005 01/24/19 02:07 AM

Assuming your 2017 27" is an iMac then it has Bluetooth 4.2, your 2012 MacBook Air has Bluetooth 4.0, and the Magoc keyboard according to Apple has bluetooth with no specified version that I could find. Because of its low power consumption I would be inclined to believe it is Bluetooth 4.2. My experience is with Bluetooth 4.2 and it is excellent.

The latest Apple PowerBook Pros have Bluetooth 5, but the current iMacs are still using Bluetooth 4.2.

This Wikipedia article will explain the differences in the various versions. But assuming Bluetooth 4.0 or later, you should not have any problems.

— Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard