FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Never seen this before, suddenly today no files o
#50798 01/01/19 09:12 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Never seen this before, suddenly today no files or folders copies or moves to my icloud drive. It wont accept anything. Been trying to figure it out and stumped.

Re: Never seen this before, suddenly today no files o
kevs #50813 01/02/19 06:07 PM

When something like that occurs the first thing I do is check the system status System status. The second thing is to reboot the device, but sometimes the only thing I can do is play a game of Patience until some intermediate issue is cleared.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50819 01/02/19 09:46 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks. Wow, that is a cool link, never seen it, what is it exactly? It instantly scans your computer in real time and let's you know everything is Kosher on that list? (everything is green dots)-- Ah.. no tells you what going on on their end.. cool. Good link.

You agree, that when you icloud drive is up in your finder, you should be able to drag things in successfully? (just to make sure that is the behavior I used to/ correct)..

Just checked now again, 2-3 days, still rejects.

kevs #50825 01/02/19 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
You agree, that when you icloud drive is up in your finder, you should be able to drag things in successfully? (just to make sure that is the behavior I used to/ correct)..

I agree, In fact both my Desktop and Documents folders ARE on iCloud so dragging to and from iCloud is essential to operation.

Years ago there was an incident when iCloud (it wasn't Calle that then) was down for some users for several days, but that was a long time ago. If you cannot drag and drop through the MacOS Finder then something is wrong and a call or chat with Apple Tech support is in order. NOTE: If you have the Files app on your iPhone, see if you can drag and drop there.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50826 01/03/19 12:22 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe:
update:

new test:

I can drag a file (from desktop) into a pre-existing folder on icloud drive.
And I can create new folders on icloud drive of course.

But still cannot drag from desktop a file or a folder to the root area of the drive. This is still whacky correct?

I never have even tried to drag and drop anything from Files, on the phone as there is no desktop? How would I even test that then?
I do use files on iphone.

kevs #50830 01/03/19 03:54 PM

But still cannot drag from desktop a file or a folder to the root area of the drive. This is still whacky correct?

PROCEDURE
I just created a folder on my Desktop and dragged it to the iCloud Drive root successfully. In my test the only surprise was the drag and drop was treated as a MOVE, not a COPY. However, given my Desktop folder is a mirror of the same folder on iCloud that is a logical result.

I repeated the test but added a second computer to discount any effect of my Desktop being on the iCloud Drive. I created a test folder on computer 2 then using computer 1 dragged the test folder on computer 2 to the iCloud Drive icon in computer 1's Finder. The copy was successful.

THEREFORE on my MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.14.3 beta I can easily drop new folders and files on the iCloud root and I can create new folders there using ⇧⌘N as well.

IN OTHER WORDS I am unable to replicate your whacky situation and have no explanation for the difference.

Now I have to go delete a Bunch of test folders on my iCloud Drive tongue smile

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50833 01/03/19 08:32 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, yeah, that what I remember as normal. so I have have to open a tech case with Apple..

BTW, I usually access the drive from side bar and the top reads:
Users/kevs/Library/MobileDocuments/com~apple~CloudDocs

Not sure that is something you see too?

(I should probably also go on icloud.com and what log out and in?) or do that from also desktop from system prefs?

Last edited by kevs; 01/03/19 08:36 PM.
kevs #50834 01/03/19 09:10 PM

Sidebar Contents are controlled by Finder > Preferences > Sidebar plus items you manually add or delete via Drag and drop from the Finder. The order in which the headings appear can be changed by dragging the headings to your preferred order of appearance. What appears in my sidebar is:
  • iCloud
    • iCloud Drive
    • Documents
    • Desktop
  • Favorites
    • several folders and files I have dragged from Finder to the sidebar
    • My home folder
    • Downloads
    • AiDrop
    • Inbox (that is a function of DEVONThink
    • Dropbox
  • Locations
    • My computer
    • Several attached external drives and servers
    • Network
  • Tags

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50847 01/04/19 09:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe/ others, question, final idea, "rebooting the icloud"

When I uncheck cloud on desktop or laptop a scary note comes up:

If you turn off iCloud Drive, all documents stored in iCloud will be removed from this Mac.

Is this a good/ bad idea to try? Would everything return to normal after rechecking the box?

Last edited by kevs; 01/04/19 09:39 PM.
kevs #50849 01/04/19 10:19 PM

When I uncheck cloud on desktop or laptop a scary note comes up:

If you turn off iCloud Drive, all documents stored in iCloud will be removed from this Mac.

Is this a good/ bad idea to try? Would everything return to normal after rechecking the box?

Items synched with iCloud including Desktop and Documents folders will be repopulated. BUT: you should never attempt something like this unless you have a known good Time Machine and/or clone backup just in case. No one has ever been able to repeal Murphy's law or MacGillicuddy's corollary

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50850 01/05/19 01:08 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ok I'll pass doing this unless guided by an Apple tech.

I can't remember, but on one call with apple we turned off something with icloud and it was quick, maybe on iphone...

But then how do you "reboot" icloud?

PS Joe you are moderator now... what is the deal with fine tuned mac, connecting so slow? Is used to be instant like most forums but now need a full minute for a post to complete after clicking post.

Last edited by kevs; 01/05/19 01:11 AM.
kevs #50855 01/05/19 03:55 PM

ok I'll pass doing this unless guided by an Apple tech.

Your choice, but you would still want to have a current Time Machine backup or clone — just in case. The Apple techs have no magic mojo that would shortstop either Murphy's law or MacGillicuddy's corollary.

But then how do you "reboot" icloud?

I have no idea what that would be. Only Apple can reboot the thousands of iCloud servers in data centers around the world. Individual servers are rebooted, taken offline, upgraded, and added to the server array all the time but almost never noticed because the load is dynamically being adjusted and balanced among servers in the farm and between server farms around the country and world.

PS Joe you are moderator now... what is the deal with fine tuned mac, connecting so slow? Is used to be instant like most forums but now need a full minute for a post to complete after clicking post.

FTM was moved to a new server several months ago and we have been fighting the problem since. There is an on-going thread on the topic here. As far as I can tell the issue is only with new posts, and the posts are being made in a timely manner, but the updated thread screen is not getting to the poster in a timely manner. Gateway timeouts are all too frequent. Suffice it to say it is a work in process at this point.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard