FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone else notice the chaos that is notes on iph
#50795 01/01/19 09:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Anyone else notice the chaos that is notes on iphone?

It adds decimals, commas, new numbers upon return.
How does one get the crazy off?

Just tested notes on desktop, it's not doing that there, just iphone.

It's an important app help. Thanks!

Re: Anyone else notice the chaos that is notes on iph
kevs #50809 01/02/19 04:43 PM

No, but try restarting your iPhone.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #50812 01/02/19 05:58 PM

I'm with Ira

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50818 01/02/19 09:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thaknks guys: Two of my favorite and smartest!

No, this is persistent on the iphone forever. You've never experienced it with notes on the iphone?

Even at the apple store a seasoned rep showed me the workaround of dismissing notes from making the next line number go larger by clicking return

Try this to see, just tested now, consistent 80% of time happen (not always dont ask me why)
Type 12345 space space, and after the second space, you will see it turn into 12,345. If you click return it will increment that number on the next like whether you like it or not. And it does other stuff later on different days: enters commas etc.
Whether you like it or not.

kevs #50823 01/02/19 11:20 PM

Both errors are builtin features of the MacOS/iOS editor. if you type
Code:
12345spacespace

Two things happen — and both are intentional.
  1. the space space is see as end of sentence which automatically becomes period space
  2. 12345 is recognized as a decimal number and the comma separator is automatically added.

The same thing happens in almost every application in both MacOS and iOS whether it is from Apple or any other developer. I suspect your attribution of this as a Notes fault is a not unreasonable mis-interpretation of circumstances.

On MacOS this actions can be prevented in System Preferences > Text and Uncheck "Add period after a double space" and in System Preferences > Advanced > Languages & Region set Numbers Separator to "None". NOTE: this will effect virtually all applications on the system, or at least all those that use the Apple editor API.

In iOS look in Settings > General Keyboards and turn off "." shortcut. I can't locate where to turn off the numeric separator at the moment but you might try disabling spell checking altogether. Hopefully I will eventually dig up the proper switch or someone else will chime in with it.

SUGGESTION:
As I am pushing 80 my fingers are not as limber as they used to be and at times are subject to being a bit shaky whether I want to admit it or not. That can sometimes present data entry issues on a screen as small as the one on my iPhone. So I have found dictation is a satisfactory substitute. Admittedly it took Siri and me a while to become accustomed to one another idiosyncrasies. In particular I had to learn not to allow my Texas drawl too much latitude when dictating and to make beginning and ending consonants harder rather than softer. But I can now dictate to my iPhone with a high level of confidence that Siri will accurately interpret what I say and write it down with more consistent spelling. I have also had to learn that when I am being long winded, to allow Siri the occasional pause to catch up. One final caveat: NEVER EVER hit send until you have carefully proofread every word. Mistakes are few but often spectacular!

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/02/19 11:36 PM. Reason: boo boo and I typed this myself :(

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50827 01/03/19 12:32 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe:

I just did some test:

1- This only seems to happen with notes on the iphone, not notes on laptop. Odd no?

2- I do not see this behavior elsewhere.. or at least I just tested in Word and Text Edit on leptop. It does not happen.

3- Siri.. I agree crazy. I don't know what promted the bit about dication, but I totally agree. I use it all the time, dication (Siri controls that?), I never use Siri, but I use dication, and wow, if you don't proofread, (and sometime I forget), very nasty things can go out...

In stystem pref, I don't know if I want to uncheck add period after double space. I think that's good for letter writing. This is something different. I'm typing a street address down on the fly — 23456 Jones St. and then Notes is making these addresses an arithmetic situation and then adding another number when I hit return! I just writing text and now I'm into math, without my permission.

kevs #50832 01/03/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
I just did some test:
1- This only seems to happen with notes on the iphone, not notes on laptop. Odd no?

No, not odd. An iPhone has a more restricted keyboard, so anything that assists in typing is supposedly welcome. Like the automatic period after a double space, or the comma as a numerical separator. On iPhones those two punctuation marks would normally require a shift to the numerical keyboard, which adds an extra step. On a "regular" keyboard, comma and period are just another direct type key.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #50835 01/03/19 09:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Ira, ah.. so intentional, not on notes laptop/ desktop.

Super annoying for me, as sometimes I see real estate addresses I want to notate and I'm writing 34567 Jones St. and I get 34.567
nuts.

Any preference to control?

kevs #50836 01/03/19 10:16 PM

In Settings > Keyboard turn Smart Punctuation and "." Shortcut off. Of course that will effect all apps in the iPhone.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50837 01/03/19 10:33 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I don't know where to see "." turn off?

All punctuation, not sure I want that off globally, even though I don't recall using it that much.

You would think Notes would have a preference controlling this madness no? You would think the developer of Notes, this would cross his mind?

joemikeb #50838 01/03/19 11:09 PM

Referring back to Ira's post, a while back I was bemoaning my iPhone 4 keyboard's tiny size and difficulty to work with, and you posted something along the lines of my being behind the times, which led me to believe that at least some more recent versions of iOS than my 7.1.2 include a FULL keyboard.

I guess I misunderstood your post?

(15 secs)

Last edited by artie505; 01/04/19 11:23 AM. Reason: Clarify

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #50844 01/04/19 04:02 PM

Apparently I got it too big a hurry and left out a sub-menu, "." appears in Settings > General > Keyboard.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #50845 01/04/19 04:39 PM

I found the post to which I was referring, and although I was correct about its topic, I was incorrect about joemike's response.

I'm surprised that there's apparently still no way to get a FULL keyboard on an iPhone screen. (If there's an app, I can't find it.)

(20 sec)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50848 01/04/19 10:04 PM

If you will settle for an iPad it does offer a full size keyboard in some apps, but which ones depends upon the API chosen by the app developer. The iPhone's keyboard in landscape mode is not a four row keyboard if that is what you mean, but it is larger and to me easier to use. Don't forget there are also left and right one handed keyboards for those with agile thumbs — the kids love them.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50851 01/05/19 07:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, but even a larger iPhone than my 4 is more than I care to carry around...forget about an an iPad, so landscape mode it is!

It's not as big a nuisance entering URLs in landscape mode as it is in portrait mode, so I'll survive. (I use the thing so infrequently that developing any sort of facility with its keyboard is pretty much out of the question.)

(Gateway time out)

artie505 #50853 01/05/19 03:15 PM

I would be happy if developers would use the keyboard with @ and . when asking for email address entry. It is available if they will use it.

(Gateway Timeout)

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard