FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Messages save history iphone
#50708 12/20/18 12:24 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm baffled, I have Messages save history when conversations are close on messages app desktop/ laptop, and I see months of a back and forth.

On iphone I have, keep messages forever (the closest to that I could find), and on iphone, and equivalent messages are truncated to just a few hellos.

Re: Messages save history iphone
kevs #50710 12/20/18 01:23 AM

How much free storage space do you have on your iPhone? (Settings > General > iPhone Storage)

How much storage is Messages using on your iPhone. (Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Messages)

In Settings > Apple ID, iCloud… > iCloud is Messages turned on or off?

On your Mac in Message > Preferences > General what is Keep messages set to?

On your Mac in Message > Preferences > iMessage > Settings is "enable Messages in iCloud checked (✔)?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50711 12/20/18 01:31 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe, 13gb remaining of 32gb good.

messages only taking 200mb.

Maybe..?, it's me? Maybe I did not have the setting forever on the iphone in the recent past, and now I do, while, forever was always set on the desktop? So then the desktop has the full history while iphone does not?

Bummer, because, I got one of those messages today on the iphone, "Hey Kevs how are you?"

I had no idea who it was (not in contacts anymore.. )

But when I got home there was a long history of messages so I then knew who it was.. Hence point of this post. It would be nice for them to mirror. Pity, you cannot tell your iphone to mirror the history of the dektop..?

kevs #50712 12/20/18 01:39 AM

I added more questions while you were responding. Check the other questions which cover iCloud synchronization.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50713 12/20/18 01:48 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

desktop is forever, and so is iphone, forever, that's why this is puzzling?

Does my explanation solve it? Maybe on the iphone is was not forever for a few months? (Yet the iphone cannot reference that past anymore whereas the desktop -- same message has a rich history of the same exact conversation?)

kevs #50715 12/20/18 02:07 AM

What about iCloud synchronization?

On your iPhone in Settings > Apple ID, iCloud… > iCloud is Messages turned on or off?

On your Mac in Message > Preferences > iMessage > Settings is "enable Messages in iCloud checked (✔)?

Unfortunately there is no Message app on iCloud.com so there is no way to check what messages are actually on iCloud to synch to your iPhone. frown

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50716 12/20/18 02:16 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOE, thanks, desktop/ laptop was not in preferences set to icloud, do I just changed that, and clicked sync now. So far after few mintues the message on my iphone that has long history on dektop but nothing on iphone sady has not changed. I wonder if it will.

But that was a good call. thanks.

(it's actually bringin stuff back from past that was delting off all device.. June, July etc. but good to have done...) Though weird in that the desktop and iphone have -- well now that i think about they have not been syncing.. The deleting of messages have not been dynamic now that i think about it -- wonder if this will improve on that.. hope so)

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard