Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Microsoft Office crashing in Mojave
artie505 #50693 12/16/18 11:44 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
It's both ironic and amusing that of the three pre-eminent repair utilities, only one is compatible with the first problem to have arisen in (I think) a few years that may actually require their sort of functionality.

How true. I've had Diskwarrior for years and it never found anything seriously wrong. I think I've only run it every couple of months to make me feel good (not yet with Mojave of course).

I'm about to run the combo update. If I fall silent you'll have to continue this discussion on your own!

jchuzi #50694 12/17/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
AFIK, only Disk Utility is capable of repairing Mojave volumes. Alsoft clearly states that Disk Warrior cannot do this, and DW won't let you even if you try. TechTool Pro gives a warning, on launch, that it is not fully compatible with Mojave. Both Alsoft and Micromat are planning on releasing versions of these utilities that can do it. Micromat, on its website, states that the new version of TTP will be available by the end of 2018. Alsoft does not give a timetable.

Check your information. It is not the OS version it is how the drive is formatted. TechTool Pro and Drive Genius will repair Mac OS Extended (HFS+) volumes on Mojave. The issue is only with APFS volumes or at least that is the case on my Mac running MacOS 10.14.3 Beta, DG 5.3.0., and TTP 10.1.2.

On the other hand while Disk Utility reports S.M.A.R.T. is not supported on my internal SSD formatted APFS, TTP does report at least a cursory S.M.A.R.T. report, just not the detailed version it reports for rotating rust drives.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50695 12/17/18 03:53 PM

Thanks for that correction about APFS volumes and Mojave.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
andycap #50730 12/21/18 08:10 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

A sort of a postscript:

Having tried all your welcome suggestions to rid my machine of of this errant Microsoft Word zero k file, I've returned it to the Incompatible Software folder where it's out of sight and not causing any harm (well maybe). I've applied the Combo update and all is otherwise well.

However Disk First Aid, invoked from any source, still fails and tells me there is "corruption" that needs to be repaired and I'm hoping that this is not a sign of impending hardware doom. Because I've used it for years, probably needlessly, I'm waiting for Diskwarrior to become APFS compliant and hoping it does so very soon. Lot of hope here.

cheers all

Andy

andycap #50731 12/21/18 09:13 PM

When you ran Disk Utility First Aid did you select the volume, the container, or the drive? I just ran a First Aid on a disk formatted APFS and although there was duplication of duplicated volume testing, additional things were checked at the Container level and it appears 1 check was unique to the disk level. Although no errors were reported at any level "postponed repairs" were reported as completed at the Container level.

Based on that I would suggest running First Aid at the container level if not at all three. It might make a difference.

As to Diskwarrior, Drive Genius, and TechTool Pro support of APFS, I am not holding my breath. APFS is a very different animal and Disk Utility > First Aid may, just may, have it covered pretty well and is not leaving a lot of room for the competition to improve upon. Besides that there are a lot of technologies in APFS that have yet to be made available in the GUI or implemented which make APFS a rapidly evolving target.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50733 12/21/18 11:23 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
When you ran Disk Utility First Aid did you select the volume, the container, or the drive?

I can't remember but I've just repeated First Aid at all three levels with the same failure result. The details are as follows

Running First Aid on “Container disk2”
NOTE: First Aid will temporarily lock the startup volume.
Verifying storage system
Using live mode.
Performing fsck_apfs -n -x -l /dev/disk1s2
Checking the container superblock.
Checking the fusion superblock.
Checking the EFI jumpstart record.
Checking the space manager.
Checking the space manager free queue trees.
Checking the object map.
Checking the Fusion data structures.
error: fusion_mid_tree: btn: invalid o_oid (0x2ec2b)
Fusion data structures are invalid.

The volume /dev/disk1s2 could not be verified completely.
Storage system check exit code is 8.
Operation successful.

Operation successful?? Blimey I can't imagine why with the error indicated! Googling shows that this and similar fusion drive errors are common but none of the discussions about them reveal a solution that gives me any confidence. I think I might get into a chat with Apple Support...

andycap #50734 12/22/18 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: andycap
<snip>...
error: fusion_mid_tree: btn: invalid o_oid (0x2ec2b)
Fusion data structures are invalid.[/b]
The volume /dev/disk1s2 could not be verified completely.
Storage system check exit code is 8.
Operation successful.

Operation successful?? Blimey I can't imagine why with the error indicated! Googling shows that this and similar fusion drive errors are common but none of the discussions about them reveal a solution that gives me any confidence. I think I might get into a chat with Apple Support...

I suppose that like the old apocryphal story where the doctor comes in to tell the family, "The operation was a complete success, unfortunately the patient died", "Operation successful" depends on your understanding of what the Operation is and what constitutes success. It took an extra year to make APFS compatible with fusion drives and it occurs to me First Aid might not have caught up completely.

Please report back what you get from Apple Tech Support.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50899 01/12/19 02:08 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Please report back what you get from Apple Tech Support.

Hello again. I've bit the bullet and am currently talking with Apple Tech Support (based in Brisbane) about the Disk First Aid failure. Initiated by a second issue just arisen regarding a Time machine failure ("TM could not create a local snapshot to back up from").

So far on his instructions I have Shut Down, removed all connections including power cable for 10 seconds, restarted from Recovery and zapped the PRAM (all to no avail). He has referred the issues to engineers and in the meantime I'm copying via Terminal my user folder (with appropriately adjusted permissions) to an external drive in preparation for a potential hard drive erase and reinstallation. Depending on what the engineers come up with - probably Monday - this may not be necessary but at least I have another copy independent of Time Machine and the clone.

I'll report further. It occurs to me that this is no longer about MS Office which I've got rid of so should I create another thread?

cheers Andy

joemikeb #50936 01/17/19 10:12 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

It took an extra year to make APFS compatible with fusion drives and it occurs to me First Aid might not have caught up completely.

I think you might be right. The engineers to whom Apple Support referred my First Aid issue say it has been reported quite a few times. Their primary concern was "why was I running First Aid?" The answer was I thought it reasonable to do so prior to performing a clone backup if I could not confidently continue to use Disk Warrior, which still seems to have some issues with APFS, to perform a preparatory routine disk check. Their question also seems reasonable but it looks like it's directed at establishing some other root smile cause for the FA failure report rather than acknowledging that FA itself may not be up to scratch yet!

As I would rather not clone a disk that may have invalid Fusion data structures, and this drive is otherwise operating normally, I'm going to put my head in the sand and rely on more laborious alternative essential file backup. At least until 10.14.3 arrives and see, if anything, what happens to Disk First Aid.

andycap #50937 01/17/19 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: andycap
As I would rather not clone a disk that may have invalid Fusion data structures, and this drive is otherwise operating normally, I'm going to put my head in the sand and rely on more laborious alternative essential file backup. At least until 10.14.3 arrives and see, if anything, what happens to Disk First Aid.

I am running MacOS 10.14.3 beta 4 and as far as I can tell there is no difference in FA, but then I don't have a fusion drive to test it on.

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard