An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ...
MacManiac #52972 11/25/19 06:59 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
I challenge you to provide the Moderators and Admin with a suitable, non-inflammatory, not necessarily "politically correct" alternative so that we can continue the conversation.

I would propose - "The thread formerly known as...Should 45?"

I really don't give a rat's patoot. But if you go that route, you might like to get (at least) the first two words of the title correct and use a proper grammatical stylesheet (for punctuation).

grelber #52977 11/25/19 04:12 PM

So put a cork in the rat's patoot that you don't give and give me a counter proposal that shows how YOU would do the rename.

Work with me here....I'm trying to defuse the inflammatory tone of the title WHILE NOT surrendering to becoming "politically correct" and losing the value of the thread....it ain't easy!

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #52978 11/25/19 05:17 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

So put a cork in the rat's patoot that you don't give and give me a counter proposal that shows how YOU would do the rename.

You're asking the wrong person. I wouldn't rename it (for reasons given earlier) and because I originally spent a fair bit of time and effort in constructing the title so that it wouldn't be 'offensive' or 'risky' (by any definition), even if risqué.
I'm sure that the assembled talent among the moderators and administrators can come up with what you and they construe as a reasonable solution couched in proper English.

grelber #52979 11/25/19 07:55 PM

Mon ami, you misunderstand my request.....help me out with the suggested additions, grammatically corrected, that you are requesting. I obviously don't understand to what you refer, or I would have made my original suggestion with your corrections included to start with.

Your opening post in this thread, with the article linked was perfect - your 2nd post, where you espoused additional handguns that would be suitable for the same titular treatment of our elected VP....THAT is where I should have expressed my concerns with the title. Instead, that is where I left this thread for 5 months.....my mistake.

If you could do me the honor of forgiving my tardiness, I really need your help to rectify my mistake from over a year ago. My posts to this thread from last April will clearly show that I am NOT a rabid Trump supporter....but they will also show that I am also NOT a rabid Never-Trump advocate.

So, please help...n'est-ce pas?

edited to fix a typo....

Last edited by MacManiac; 11/25/19 08:00 PM.

MacManiac #52983 11/25/19 11:57 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Mon ami, you misunderstand my request.....help me out with the suggested additions, grammatically corrected, that you are requesting. I obviously don't understand to what you refer, or I would have made my original suggestion with your corrections included to start with.

Oh puh-leeze: Where do you see "should" in the title?!

Your opening post in this thread, with the article linked was perfect - your 2nd post, where you espoused additional handguns that would be suitable for the same titular treatment of our elected VP....THAT is where I should have expressed my concerns with the title. Instead, that is where I left this thread for 5 months.....my mistake.

Anyone who has followed the gun control debate (even peripherally) over the past several decades knows that the AR-15 is NOT a handgun but a selective-fire longarm designed by Armalite and meant for military use and not generally available to the civilian population (although semiautomatic versions of same are).

If you go the route that you suggested, such title would properly read:
"The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ..."

I really don't appreciate having to punish myself for doing a job with which I heartedly disagree.

grelber #52984 11/26/19 01:17 AM

Thanks for calling my attention to the fact that I can't read.....[headslap]DUH! [/headslap]!

Of course it should have been "Maybe" -not- "Should".....

Your self torture to offer guidance is truly appreciated here....

Now my turn:

Quote:
The title premise could apply to 45' (45-prime) too. Even the 1873 Colt had 6 chambers, not to mention the 1911 Colt M1A1 semiauto with even more capacity. There's enough 'solution' for every 'deserving' body.

Not seeing any mention of a long-gun in your 2nd post to which I referred....just sayin'. blush FWIW, I have an AR15 civilian semi-auto long gun in my personal armory.

EDIT: now I have to admit I'm not reading properly AGAIN....I was seeing M1911A1 instead of what you were writing! I still remember my M1 thumb from initial qualification at the rifle range in boot camp...although the M1A1 didn't come into being until 1941.

I think that your corrected version of my alternative title offering is perfect....and still not quite politically correct, which suits just fine.

I'll propose "The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ..." to the Admin for her consideration and thank you!

Last edited by MacManiac; 11/26/19 01:50 AM.

MacManiac #52986 11/26/19 07:56 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Now my turn:
Quote:
The title premise could apply to 45' (45-prime) too. Even the 1873 Colt had 6 chambers, not to mention the 1911 Colt M1A1 semiauto with even more capacity. There's enough 'solution' for every 'deserving' body.

Not seeing any mention of a long-gun in your 2nd post to which I referred....just sayin'. blush FWIW, I have an AR15 civilian semi-auto long gun in my personal armory.

EDIT: now I have to admit I'm not reading properly AGAIN....I was seeing M1911A1 instead of what you were writing! I still remember my M1 thumb from initial qualification at the rifle range in boot camp...although the M1A1 didn't come into being until 1941.

Now I must admit to misremembering (even after "re-reading" that second post) and confounding AR-15 with 1911 Colt M1A1 semiauto. Mea culpa. Blame it on "purple rain". blush tongue

grelber #52987 11/26/19 08:17 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

President Trump Signs Federal Animal Cruelty Bill Into Law

Perhaps the only halfway decent thing the man has done ... and not just in his presidential term of office.

grelber #52990 11/26/19 05:15 PM

Quote:
Blame it on "purple rain". blush tongue

Personally, I blame it on the damned statins..... crazy

MacManiac #52992 11/26/19 09:19 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Quote:
Blame it on "purple rain". blush tongue

Personally, I blame it on the damned statins..... crazy

I wish I had the (dubious) "luxury" of such an excuse.
I'll just have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune ... ta-roo, ta-ree.

grelber #53130 12/17/19 11:50 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

The only reason that 45 is 45 (and hopefully not much longer) is because of the Electoral College which was established by the founders to make sure that hoi polloi didn't get too uppity, just to make it so that the rich and educated and politically powerful retained their power in the face of true democracy.

grelber #53140 12/18/19 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
The only reason that 45 is 45 (and hopefully not much longer) is because of the Electoral College which was established by the founders to make sure that hoi polloi didn't get too uppity, just to make it so that the rich and educated and politically powerful retained their power in the face of true democracy.

In defense of the electoral college consider this: between 70 and 80% of the population of the United States live within 50 miles of either the Atlantic or Pacific coast. Without the electoral college that would leave a 2,300 mile long swath of this country with little or no voice in electing the President.

It would save the candidates millions (billions?) of dollars in campaign funds as there would be no reason to campaign anywhere but on the two coasts. Arguably there would not even be a reason to have the presidential candidate's names on the ballot in say 35 of the 50 states.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53142 12/18/19 05:24 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
... Without the electoral college that would leave a 2,300 mile long swath of this country with little or no voice in electing the President.

Not true. In a real democracy every vote counts; this has nothing to do with distribution of population and/or whether sub-groups such as states are involved.

By definition — Democracy: a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

grelber #53143 12/18/19 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
... Without the electoral college that would leave a 2,300 mile long swath of this country with little or no voice in electing the President.

Not true. In a real democracy every vote counts; this has nothing to do with distribution of population and/or whether sub-groups such as states are involved.

By definition — Democracy: a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

Hmm. What if 51% of the voting population lives within 50 miles of the oceans, as Joemikeb has stated. Then for the only nationwide offices—president/vp—those few states are the only ones that matter.

As grebler says, there are other channels for democratic representation through elected representatives.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
grelber #53154 12/19/19 01:57 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Impeachment: When America moves its president to the spam folder.
— Courtesy of Trevor Noah of The Daily Show (2019-12-18)

Rah! Rah! Sis Boom Bah!

Ah luvs it! Reely bigly!

joemikeb #53156 12/19/19 02:52 PM

In a very short number of years, 70 Senators will be elected from states with about 35% of the total population. So 35% of the country will control the country through the US Senate. Is that democracy?

Douglas #53159 12/19/19 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Douglas
In a very short number of years, 70 Senators will be elected from states with about 35% of the total population. So 35% of the country will control the country through the US Senate. Is that democracy?

The United States has NEVER been a true democracy rather we are a very carefully crafted Federation striking an ingenious balance between individual and regional interests needs, and aspirations. Without that balance the United States of America, as we know it, would never have come into being and much of the continent would still be held in allegiance to the Queen of England and our biggest concern would be Brexit.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53187 12/21/19 03:01 PM

Exactly where is the balance when 35% of the population will control literally everything with 70 Senators?

Douglas #53192 12/21/19 04:46 PM

The House of Representatives represents the population at large. The Senate Represents regional interests but as shown by the current stand off between the House and Senate, the Senate most definitely does not control everything no matter what the Senate Majority Leader may think. The power of our system of government has always been the fact that neither house has control making compromise between individual and regional interests essential. The problem is compromise has disappeared from the political discourse. It is compromise that must be restored if the republic is to survive. If either individual or regional interests are allowed to dominate would inevitably result in tyranny and probable dissolution of the nation into smaller nation states.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53231 12/29/19 10:45 PM

At this point, a little humor is in order. I won't spoil the surprise by describing it. Get a load of this!

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #53245 12/31/19 10:06 PM

Similar products reflecting other world political figures (Sadam Hussein and Osama bin Laden) come to mind.....

MacManiac #53246 01/01/20 11:41 PM

Ah, but this instance presents us with an unique opportunity...to each buy a roll and send some soiled paper to the White House.

In fact, a national "Give Back To Trump Day" when millions of Americans would do it would be a neat (well, sorta) idea.

But it wouldn't make the least bit of an impression on him, because it wouldn't smell any different than it always smells where his head is.

Could even the most self-righteous of us find fault with that?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #53252 01/03/20 03:28 PM

If Trump can order the assignation of an Iranian General, why is it wrong for Trump's enemies to wish ill of him?

Douglas #53256 01/03/20 04:59 PM

Two wrongs make a right?

It is wrong because we would like to think we live in a world where the United States does not meddle in the affairs of a foreign country, that Congress and only Congress can declare acts of war, and that regardless of political preferences, the President of the United States should be respected.

That world is now an E-ticket ride in Fantasyland. tongue Does anyone else remember the A,B,C,D,E tickets at the original Disneyland? That's a semi-rhetorical question; don't want to hijack this thread.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #53259 01/03/20 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Two wrongs make a right?

Nope, but the worrying question is: "How many more wrongs are going to be committed by the cowardly President Bonespur....now that he's had a taste of killing without personal risk?" It becomes even more of a worry when he finds that he can do it in violation of American law, knowing the equally spineless Republican Senators will facilitate his itchy trigger finger.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard