An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#50448 - 11/08/18 12:57 PM Posting Still Glacially Slow
Ira L Offline

Loc: California
Just checking to see if this is a new permanent condition because of the new hosting servers, or if it can be corrected.

Some of my posts actually time out—"Server Not Responding"—but still seem to get posted. Others just take a looooong time.

#50449 - 11/08/18 02:02 PM Re: Posting Still Glacially Slow [Re: Ira L]
artie505 Online

Ha! I searched to see if tacit has been MIA because he's been caught up in a publisher's deadline, and I found BLACK IRON by Franklin Veaux , Eve Rickert | Kirkus Reviews. (Publish date 10-26...review posted on 11-5) Congrats to tacit and Eve! cool

Hopefully he'll have some time to deal with this problem now.

I'm experiencing delays similar to yours, plus "Gateway" time outs.

Aaargh!

#50454 - 11/09/18 08:43 AM Re: Posting Still Glacially Slow [Re: artie505]
Ira L Offline

Hmm.

Real Life vs. FineTunedMac Uploads

We all know where the real priority lies. grin

#50503 - 11/17/18 09:28 AM Re: Posting Still Glacially Slow [Re: Ira L]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
My experience would seem to indicate there is no undue delay in the actual posting. The delay is in the singular instance of refreshing the screen after a new post.

I have experimented with two FTM sessions in different tabs viewing the same thread. Make a post in one tab and it goes into the interminable hang, but if I refresh the display in the second tab — after a reasonable delay — the new post is there. Eventually the first tab will reload or the connection time out, but the post had already been completed. This does not happen when editing an existing post. Occasionally I run into another related issue where a new post hangs and after a long delay I backspace to the previous screen and click SUBMIT only to be told the post has already been made.

#50516 - 11/19/18 09:36 AM Re: Posting Still Glacially Slow [Re: joemikeb]
Ira L Offline

I concur that the postings always seem to happen. So a screen refresh is the culprit? What's the root of that problem? I'm reluctant to say it's on the users' end (ISP?) since personally, the problem did not exist prior to the FTM hosting change.

#50517 - 11/19/18 01:37 PM Re: Posting Still Glacially Slow [Re: Ira L]
artie505 Online

I've never lost a post, and the current problem seems to be similar to the one we experienced some time ago in that despite how long it takes for a post to appear, the page shows "Generated in n seconds....", n being less than 2.

#50518 - 11/19/18 04:44 PM Re: Posting Still Glacially Slow [Re: Ira L]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted By: Ira L
I concur that the postings always seem to happen. So a screen refresh is the culprit? What's the root of that problem? I'm reluctant to say it's on the users' end (ISP?) since personally, the problem did not exist prior to the FTM hosting change.

FWIW my personal guess is the problem is in the database server. Either a delay in acknowledging the database update or sending the new record back to UBB Threads for display. But it could be on UBB Threads end or it could be a compatibility issue between UBB Threads 7.5.8 and the database server software.

There are too many people, networks, browsers, and browser versions affected for the problem to be local to the user's computers. It has to be something to do with the hosting site — which would include their servers.

Moderator:  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh