FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: URGENT - All Apple Mail folders have disappeared
joemikeb #50462 11/11/18 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
In ryck's case it is the local copy of the IMAP account's index that Mail is unable to "see". Whatever the glitch that is preventing its being seen it is fortunate that it has not been propagated to the clone.

But ryck posted...

Quote:
...I booted from my Super Duper backup, with ethernet disconnected to avoid the ISP’s system changing the Mail files on that drive. When I open Mail on the SD backup, all of my folders are there and I am able to read them, so it appears that “something” allowed them to be stored on my computer. (Emphasis added)

Unless I'm missing something, the contradiction remains unresolved.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50463 11/11/18 01:00 PM

I suspect the problem is an incomplete understanding of how IMAP works or inaccurate wording on someone's part. You might find this article from What is my IP or this Wikipedia article informative.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/11/18 01:05 PM. Reason: add URLs

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50464 11/11/18 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
...so it appears that “something” allowed them to be stored on my computer. (Emphasis added)

This is all I could find that might be ryck's "something"...

Originally Posted By: What is IMAP?
Main Advantages of IMAP

...it only downloads a message when you click on it.

E-mail protocols

IMAP supports both on-line and off-line modes of operation. E-mail clients using IMAP generally leave messages on the server until the user explicitly deletes them. .... Clients may store local copies of the messages, but these are considered to be a temporary cache.

What say you, ryck?

Afterthought: If so, why would the glitch that's preventing ryck from seeing his server-side messages prevent him from seeing the temporary cache on his own machine?

Last edited by artie505; 11/11/18 06:27 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50465 11/11/18 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Afterthought: If so, why would the glitch that's preventing ryck from seeing his server-side messages prevent him from seeing the temporary cache on his own machine?
Because the temporary cache is what Mail see's. It is a safe money bet that if ryck would delete his account that isn't "seeing" the temporary cache and then set the account up once again his mail would miraculously appear complete with all his undeleted past history and any new emails that have come in since this problems started.

I could be wrong, but since he can't see his email now there really isn't anything to lose.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50467 11/12/18 02:41 PM

..."Synchronize All Accounts"... from the Mailbox pull down menu????

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
artie505 #50489 11/16/18 11:13 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
What say you, ryck?

I’m back and I apologize to all for the continued silence. However, I’ve had several days where a confluence of several personal and Community Board issues have kept me from spending much time on anything except them. Then take 2-3 hours out of every day for getting Abby out….and well, tempus sure does fugit. Everyone’s efforts to assist are greatly appreciated.

In a nutshell, being so worried about losing so much mail, I kept my Super Duper drive turned off to prevent any chance of the ISP updating it. Whenever I got a chance, I did a bit of experimenting with some of Ira’s ideas (Post # 50441) and a couple of days ago I got all my mail back.

Wait for it… because this is really stupid and I am really embarrassed, but it appears to have been my fault, not the machine or software. When the two sidebars are showing (Current unread and unfiled mail in the right column, All mail in the left column), the left column has a heading “On My Mac” in which were all the missing pieces of mail.

“On My Mac” has a Show/Hide function which becomes visible when the cursor is over the spot. While experimenting a couple of days ago I discovered the Hide/Show function and clicked on Show and, poof, it’s all back. An accidental click on Hide must have got this thread rolling.

In all these years of owning Macs, I had no idea the Show/Hide option existed. As I said, I am really embarrassed and very sorry that so much energy and thinking went into solving an issue that wasn’t an issue.

However, all is not wasted….the dialogue has vastly improved my understanding of iMap and I now understand that it’s Apple Mail, not an ISP (whether POP or iMap) that allows me to save and maintain a catalogue of important mail records.

And now I shall take my bright red face and go back to bed.

Sigh.

Last edited by ryck; 11/16/18 11:16 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #50495 11/16/18 05:26 PM

So true: in Apple Mail those Show/Hide options are seen only on a rollover by the cursor. You might never see them if your cursor does not travel into that small part of the sidebar.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #50496 11/16/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
So true: in Apple Mail those Show/Hide options are seen only on a rollover by the cursor. You might never see them if your cursor does not travel into that small part of the sidebar.

And by bizarre coincidence, my cursor winds up in precisely the right spot so often that it amazes me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard