for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: More Adventures in MacOS — this time in the Mojave
joemikeb #49560 07/23/18 03:21 PM

Is it possible to annotate the screen shot and what is the format of the image?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #49577 07/25/18 03:37 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Is it possible to annotate the screen shot

To reiterate a previous post in this thread...
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I had forgotten the Markup feature until I was preparing this post and realized how easy and convenient it is to access and use. It is easy enough that there is almost zero learning curve for someone with only a modicum of experience with graphics editing. There is nothing here that threatens Graphic Converter or Affinity Designer, but it could potentially replace Evernote's Skitch (which I use a lot) and several document signing apps that simply add an image of your signature to a document. All in all I think it will be very useful in the future. I did encounter a couple of minor glitches, but this is still a relatively early beta.
Markup currently has a few bugs, but it is still in beta. IMHO it is a great tool for annotating image and PDF files. (I just realized I don't know what formats Markup works in other than most image formats and PDF. I will get back to you on that after I conduct a few trials.)

Originally Posted By: Ira L
and what is the format of the image?

to reiterate another previous post
I still haven't found a convenient way to change Screenshot's image format other than that is Marcel Bresink's Tinkertool that is.
Using Tinkertool the following screenshot formats are available:
  • Optimized system default
  • PNG✔
  • PDF
  • TIFF✔
  • JPEG✔
  • JPEG2000↻
  • BMP↻
  • GIF↻
  • PSD
  • TGA
Screen recordings are MOV⚡️ format.

NOTE:
  • Formats marked ✔ can be annotated using Markup
  • Formats marked ↻ can be converted to PDF by Finder
  • Format marked ⚡️can be Trimmed by Finder
  • I suspect HEIF (High Efficiency Image File) format may also be available for both stills and screen recordings as it is on iOS, but Tinkertool is not yet updated and certified for Mojave and I don't know how to get to it.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/25/18 10:04 PM. Reason: ndicate formats supported by Markup, Trim, & PDF Conversion

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49579 07/25/18 10:42 PM

Golly gee, I'm expected to read, let alone remember, all previous posts in the thread? Picky, picky. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #49592 07/27/18 10:04 PM
OP Online

I just found out how to take a screenshot and save the image in HEIC (another name for HEIF)
  • Open Preview
  • Go to File > Take Screenshot
  • Select...
    • From Selection
    • From Window
    • From Entire Screen
  • Click on target
  • Go to File > Save... or File > Export
  • Select the desired format…
    • HEIC
    • JPEG
    • JPEG 2000
    • OpenEXR
    • PDF
    • PNG
    • TIFF
  • Click Save
Now that I know HEIF/HEIC is available that means it may be set as the default Screenshot format using Terminal and entering the command
Code:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type heic;killall SystemUIServer

NOTE: HEIF/HEIC is not Markup compatible 😢

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49613 07/31/18 07:34 PM

NOTE: HEIF/HEIC is not Markup compatible 😢

And what's more annoying... apple "depreciated" the saving of markup information. You can mark up a tiff, png, or pdf, but markups are saved in "flattened" format, burned into the image, and cannot be edited once you close the file.

I had a somewhat lengthy call with apple on this issue and it came down to "that part of markup support has been removed from preview".

frown

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #49614 08/01/18 01:33 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I had a somewhat lengthy call with apple on this issue and it came down to "that part of markup support has been removed from preview".

Hopefully that would is one of those “features” that gets dropped in a reshuffle of functions and then r appears in a later update or upgrade. At least we can hope and in the meantime be sure to request it via Feedback.

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #49615 08/01/18 09:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
And what's more annoying... apple "depreciated" the saving of markup information. You can mark up a tiff, png, or pdf, but markups are saved in "flattened" format, burned into the image, and cannot be edited once you close the file.

Huh? I wasn't aware that you could ever save markup info, and it's functionality that I'd have made much use of. (I did a pretty good job of cruising Preview's menu bar options and never saw it.)

When did it disappear from Preview, and how was it accessed?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #49911 09/06/18 10:17 PM
OP Online

DARK MODE

I just noticed that each beta update it seems there are additional Apple apps that support Dark Mode. Finder and Safari are the most noticeable in beta 4.

I'm in Mojave beta 10 and I am struck how dark mode has improved beta by beta. Apple has obviously spent a lot of development time improving the dark mode display. The light/dark contrast is much greater and to my eyes the crispness of the characters has dramatically improved on both the 13" Retina display and 27" Thunderbolt display. Even if you are allergic to anything new, IMO you owe it to yourself to give Dark Mode a try.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49931 09/10/18 06:05 PM

Joe: Do you have any comments about the content of Mojave’s New Security and Privacy Protections Face Usability Challenges

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #49933 09/10/18 10:19 PM
OP Online

I occasionally run into these file level security features, and it has occurred to me that some users may find them very annoying, but...
  • This came up elsewhere late last week and as I looked at the risks and potentiall solutions, I came to the conclusion this is a reasonable and proportional response to the threat on Apple's part. It may be occasionally annoying, but it would be a lot more annoying and potentially damaging to find my private data for sale all over the internet.
  • The internet is an increasingly hostile environment and too often even the "good guys" are obtaining and misusing our personal data for their own quasi-licit or outgight ilicit gain. It takes security measures such as these to stay safe — or getting off the internet altogether and I am no about to go there.
  • At the present time I do not have any apps that have requested any special access privileges. Whether this is because of my predilection for App Store offerings and their sandboxing I don't know, but I did delete a top selling App Store advertising blocker this weekend after a researcher revealed it was illicitly capturing and phoning home user browsing data.
In short I am already putting up with ever more secure passwords, two factor authentication, VPNs, and TSA check, so this is only one more security annoyance in modern life.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49934 09/11/18 10:08 AM

but I did delete a top selling App Store advertising blocker this weekend after a researcher revealed it was illicitly capturing and phoning home user browsing data.
Which app was that?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #49935 09/11/18 01:26 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
but I did delete a top selling App Store advertising blocker this weekend after a researcher revealed it was illicitly capturing and phoning home user browsing data.
Which app was that?

Adware Doctor

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49937 09/11/18 02:39 PM

Interesting: Your link leads to a page that says "Mac Rumors - Page Not Found". I wonder if Mac Rumors pulled it deliberately?

Jon

jchuzi #49938 09/11/18 02:51 PM
OP Online

When I looked at that page earlier this morning there was an addition indicating Apple had pulled another App from the same developer — now it is gone altogether. ❓❓❓

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49940 09/11/18 05:59 PM

Which app was that?

Adware Doctor

All well and good, but why wouldn't you use uBlock Origin?
From the blurb for same:
An efficient blocker: easy on memory and CPU footprint, and yet can load and enforce thousands more filters than other popular blockers out there.
Illustrated overview of its efficiency: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

grelber #49941 09/11/18 09:29 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: grelber
All well and good, but why wouldn't you use uBlock Origin?
From the blurb for same:
An efficient blocker: easy on memory and CPU footprint, and yet can load and enforce thousands more filters than other popular blockers out there.
Illustrated overview of its efficiency: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

There are 40+ competitors in line ahead of it, all with similar claims of glory. Frankly I don't have either the time or money to spend purchasing and testing each and every one of them.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49968 09/15/18 08:16 PM

Another improvement to Safari, coming up in Mojave: How Apple's Safari Browser Will Try to Thwart Data Tracking

Jon

jchuzi #49983 09/18/18 02:27 PM

Another improvement to Safari, coming up in Mojave: How Apple's Safari Browser Will Try to Thwart Data Tracking

Take that, FireFox. Oh, oh....gotta run. I see Grelber coming up the road. grin

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #49984 09/18/18 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck

Take that, FireFox. Oh, oh....gotta run. I see Grelber coming up the road. grin

No need ... although I thought about it 3 days ago.
Firefox has more than effectively dealt with the issue(s).
Safari's just a johnny-come-lately ... and there's no indication that its improvements will be as good as those Firefox has already attained.
So ... meh.

grelber #50444 11/08/18 12:38 AM
OP Online

HOORAY!

It has taken a good while but I just ran the latest version of Etrecheck and for the first time in over a year, I have no 32 bit apps remaining on my system! Some old standbys have been replaced by essentially brand-new apps from the same developer and have required some learning and some adjustment to my workflow, some I had given up on suddenly reappeared on the App Store in 64 bit format, some I really didn't use and were deleted as excess baggage, and in one case I found a far better app from a different developer to replace it.

The number of "unsigned" apps is greatly reduced as well and those remaining are reported as "identical versions were found on the whitelist and are probably okay."

In spite of the unending stream of betas my system is probably cleaner and more stable than it or its predecessors have been in years.

Techtool Pro 10 still reports
Originally Posted By: TTP 10
TechTool Pro 10 (version 10.1.1) is not fully compatible with macOS 10.14.2
and has little to do with SSDs and even less to do with APFS although it will provide S.M.A.R.T. values for the SSD on my MacBook Pro which Disk Utility will not. It will perform volume or partition repairs but no optimization of any kind.

Drive Genius 5.3.0 will do a "physical check" of SSDs but other than that its volume repair and rebuild for some drives (I haven't figured out whether the stopper is SSD or APFS) and there are no volume optimization functions remaining.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50445 11/08/18 06:13 AM

... It has taken a good while but I just ran the latest version of Etrecheck and for the first time in over a year, I have no 32 bit apps remaining on my system!

Hãh?! EtreCheck has been 64-bit for over a year. The version I'm using (3.4.6) was installed 13 months ago; it also has the option of being openable in 32-bit mode.

grelber #50446 11/08/18 07:39 AM

Part of EtreCheck's functionality is scanning for ANY 32 bit apps on your Mac.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #50447 11/08/18 01:14 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: grelber
Hãh?! EtreCheck has been 64-bit for over a year. The version I'm using (3.4.6) was installed 13 months ago; it also has the option of being openable in 32-bit mode.

You would not recognize today's Etrecheck and as Artie pointed out I wasn't worried about Etrecheck being 64 bit it was a variety of other apps and portions of apps that Etrecheck was reporting as being 32 bit.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50452 11/09/18 03:16 PM

I tried to download EtreCheck 5 from etresoft.com and etrecheck.com. No longer any way to do so apparently. App Store is not available to me (as I have repeatedly noted).
And I won't download an app from a third party (such as macupdate.com or insmac.org unless I can be assured that such would be safe and unaccompanied by additional 'stuff').
'Twould appear that I'm stuck with versions 3 and 4 for the duration.
Any ideas?

grelber #50453 11/09/18 04:10 PM

For what it's worth, I just d/l'ed EtreCheck from MacUpdate, it was a safe d/l with no "additional stuff" accompanying it, and there's no need to worry about the "leaving MU" pop-up.

(There was a splash a few years ago abut MU "encumbering" d/l's, but while I may have experienced it once way back when, it was a unique experience, and I d/l from MU frequently. I'm not even certain that they're still doing it, but as I recall, the encumbrance was clearly marked as an option the last time I saw it.)

Last edited by artie505; 11/09/18 05:17 PM. Reason: Expand

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard