for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Food for Thought When You Are At the Apple Store
#50375 11/02/18 07:50 PM
OP Offline

According to this 9to5 Mac article the new iPad Pro's Geekbench scores are equal to a 2.6 GHz i7 2018 MacBook Pro. Given the iPad Pro costs $1,650 less than the MacBook Pro ($1149 and $2799 respectfully), I suspect a lot of potential MacBook buyers are going to have second and third thoughts about what Apple product to purchase. Certainly the average home user would have to work really hard to justify buying the MacBook.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Food for Thought When You Are At the Apple Store
joemikeb #50380 11/03/18 07:15 AM

Fascinating and, indeed, food for thought, and what I think is that if iPad Pros replace laptops it will be at the hands of a generation that grew up in iOS rather than one that's had it thrust upon them.

I, for one, like being able to configure my MBP to work as I'd like it to work, rather than being stuck with something that works as Apple thinks it ought to work regardless of whether I like it.

I like being able to add functionality by installing apps without Apple's having put its stamp of approval on them...even if they're not up to Apple's standards of whatever.

In sum, I prefer my computer being the product of my whims, whimseys, and needs rather than me being an extension of its, i.e. Apple's, whims, whimseys, and demands.

And I"m willing to pay for it!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50382 11/03/18 08:02 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
In sum, I prefer my computer being the product of my whims, whimseys, and needs rather than me being an extension of its, i.e. Apple's, whims, whimseys, and demands.

Which is, of course, the original philosophy underlying the original Mac in 1984. People with the existing desktops were busy tearing their hair out by the roots and screaming in agony when a single wrong keystroke caused 3 or 4 hours of work to go 'poof' and disappear. Then, along comes the Mac whose basic tenet was that the user was in charge, not the computer.

Sometimes I think the folks currently running Apple should review the company files leading up to 1984.

And I"m willing to pay for it!

Well, at least something has remained the same since 1984. I recall my first Mac...small black and white screen, only a couple of pieces of software available, and it cost waaaay more than those 'other' machines. People thought I was nuts.

Last edited by ryck; 11/03/18 08:04 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #50394 11/03/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck

Which is, of course, the original philosophy underlying the original Mac in 1984. People with the existing desktops were busy tearing their hair out by the roots and screaming in agony when a single wrong keystroke caused 3 or 4 hours of work to go 'poof' and disappear. Then, along comes the Mac whose basic tenet was that the user was in charge, not the computer.

Well, not quite. The user interface of the 1984 Macs was somewhat revolutionary; mouse, graphical interface with buttons, etc. Easier to deal with, BUT the actual box was quite closed off to the user and most everything could not be modified beyond Apple's original designs. Of course, clever developers emerged (as they have with all operating systems) and now most everything is highly customizable.

Originally Posted By: ryck
Well, at least something has remained the same since 1984. I recall my first Mac...small black and white screen, only a couple of pieces of software available, and it cost waaaay more than those 'other' machines. People thought I was nuts.

I remember when I bought my first external hard drive for my Mac SE (c. 1986?). It was about the same size as say a Seagate 2 TB Desktop model of today, but it was 10 MB (not GB or TB!). It was blazingly fast (in those days) and increased the storage capacity immensely. At that time the double-sided 800 kb floppy (not really physically so) disk was queen. To now have 10 MB, well, mind boggling! Oh, and if I recall, the external drive cost somewhere around $400 in those days.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #50395 11/03/18 03:33 PM
OP Offline

If you really want to be in charge then why aren't you running Ubuntu on a home-brew PC? Not only do you get to choose and install anything and everything, you also have the "privilege" of downloading and modifying the OS and application source code and modifying it to your particular whims before compiling, linking, and debugging to get them to work. I've been there, done that, and have several worn out t-shirts in the rag bag. While I was working for Microsoft I switched from a PC to the Mac because I was tired of having to do do much work just to get an application to run or accessory to work.

Later I got in trouble with my colleagues at TI because I would take my iBook to work and use it instead of the company furnished PC. The problem wasn't that I was using a Mac, which was technically not permitted but my colleagues didn't care about that. It was because my little clamshell and the Apple software enabled me to be much more productive and the managers would hold my productivity up as the standard for my colleagues to meet.

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #50404 11/04/18 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
I remember when I bought my first external hard drive for my Mac SE (c. 1986?). It was about the same size as say a Seagate 2 TB Desktop model of today, but it was 10 MB (not GB or TB!). It was blazingly fast (in those days) and increased the storage capacity immensely. At that time the double-sided 800 kb floppy (not really physically so) disk was queen. To now have 10 MB, well, mind boggling! Oh, and if I recall, the external drive cost somewhere around $400 in those days.

A 2007 article I saw announcing the 40th anniversary of the invention of the floppy disk noted that the first commercially available floppy offered 100KB (NOT M, G, or T, but K) storage and cost $10,000 (ten thousand).

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50409 11/05/18 05:36 PM

A 2007 article I saw announcing the 40th anniversary of the invention of the floppy disk noted that the first commercially available floppy offered 100KB (NOT M, G, or T, but K) storage and cost $10,000 (ten thousand).

I wonder if that floppy was the size of a small pizza. grin

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #50410 11/05/18 10:21 PM
OP Offline

8½" in all likelihood, at least that was what I had on my Ohio Scientific microcomputer. That beat the cassette tape on my first IBM PC all hollow. My first hard drive was on a TI990 Minicomputer that supported 10 remote terminals. The drive had a capacity of 10 MB on two 24"(?) diameter platters and the cartridge weighed approximately 30 pounds. We later added two 50 MB drives (more platters and using both sides of each platter except the top and bottom ones) to the system. It was the biggest TI990 configuration in the division. My Apple Watch 4 has over 117 times as much storage as that TI990 had.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50411 11/06/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If you really want to be in charge then why aren't you running Ubuntu on a home-brew PC?

Probably because I have no idea what that is. If I was a contestant on Jeopardy and the answer was "Ubuntu" my response would be "What is a small village in Kenya?"

Last edited by ryck; 11/06/18 10:16 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #50412 11/06/18 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

8½" in all likelihood, at least that was what I had on my Ohio Scientific microcomputer.

Originally Posted By: Floppy disk - Wikipedia
8-inch floppy disk

8-inch floppy disk
The first floppy disk was 8 inches in diameter,[1] was protected by a flexible plastic jacket and was a read-only device used by IBM as a way of loading microcode.[24] Read/write floppy disks and their drives became available in 1972 but it was IBM's 1973 introduction of the 3740 data entry system[25] that began the establishment of floppy disks, called by IBM the "Diskette 1", as an industry standard for information interchange. Early microcomputers used for engineering, business, or word processing often used one or more 8-inch disk drives for removable storage; the CP/M operating system was developed for microcomputers with 8-inch drives.

The family of 8-inch disks and drives increased over time and later versions could store up to 1.2 MB;[26] many microcomputer applications did not need that much capacity on one disk, so a smaller size disk with lower-cost media and drives was feasible. The ​5 1⁄4-inch drive succeeded the 8-inch size in many applications, and developed to about the same storage capacity as the original 8-inch size, using higher-density media and recording techniques.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard