Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
video film
#50323 10/24/18 02:22 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.12.6

I recently downloaded 9 short travel clips which merged into 1 avi clip. It is 3Mb.

It plays ok on my computer but not on my blu-ray. There is 5 other items on this thumb drive which do play ok.

I have downloaded many films and not had this happen before. Is there a way of rectifying this problem.

I have iSkysoft imedia converter deluxe if that could help.

jay bass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: video film
jaybass #50324 10/24/18 04:28 PM

What are the formats of the 5 other items that play on your Blu-ray?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #50325 10/24/18 08:21 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira,

There is actually about 10 videos, 2 folders. most of them are MKVs and MP4s

The one I'm referring to was a MKV but I had to change it because it was over 6Gb.

An MP4 was too big also but AVI is ok for size. I'm wondering if I could split it and use MP4, maybe that would then be ok...?

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Ira L #50328 10/25/18 03:17 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira,

Today I thought I would convert that AVI to an MP4 and presto, it plays on the Blu-ray.

I don't know why that would make a difference, perhaps you do and if so, please tell me.

jaybass

jaybass #50329 10/25/18 04:16 PM

I'm not familiar enough with Blu-ray players to know, but the fact that it played when changed to a different format may indicate Blu-rays recognize only certain formats. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
jaybass #50332 10/25/18 07:49 PM

You may find something helpful here.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jaybass #50333 10/26/18 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: jaybass
Today I thought I would convert that AVI to an MP4 and presto, it plays on the Blu-ray. I don't know why that would make a difference, perhaps you do and if so, please tell me.

You haven’t disclosed the make and model of this set top player. These extra features (file playback) are not standardized at all, and will be different from one model to the next. Only the manual can tell you what will work and what won’t work. Only authored Blu-ray Video disc and authored DVD-Video disc playback are mandatory for these players; other features are optional for whatever the manufacturers thought would help sales at the time of introduction of that model.

Urquhart #50334 10/26/18 05:50 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Urquhart,

I have a Sony Blu-ray player. Model: BDP-S370BX37. It plays videos, music & photos.

To be honest, I haven't read the manual in detail, just enough to play DVDs and thumb drives.

jaybass

jaybass #50336 10/27/18 09:01 AM

If you care to know --
  • That model wants USB drives formatted as “FAT-compatible and not partitioned”. I take that to mean FAT32, which indeed puts a file size limit of 4 GB. (p33)
  • It can play .avi (if it contains DivX video), .mkv or .mp4 (if it contains MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)), among other formats. (p32)
  • There may be extra limitations that are not detailed (“Some files may not play depending on the file format, file encoding, recording condition, or DLNA server condition.”) (p33)
  • Edited files can create incompatibilities. (p33)

Urquhart #50337 10/27/18 01:50 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Urquhart,

Thanks for the info and listing the page numbers. As you say, FAT32 has a 4Gb file

limit. I'm told that all USB drives are formatted as FAT32. The 8 drives that I have

are FAT32. I have book marked the manual from your reply...much easier to read.

Thank you, jaybass

jaybass #50365 10/28/18 09:15 PM

An additional factor must also be included when dealing with "burned" discs — COMPATIBILITY. Commercial discs are mechanically stamped creating physical pits on the disc surface that reflect or don't reflect a "read laser" while "burned" discs rely on chemical dyes that change color when exposed to a "write laser" and then reflect or don't reflect the "Reade laser". The mechanically stamped discs are highly reliable with virtually any drive but burned discs are subject to a number of variables including:
  • The specific chemical composition of the dyes used in the disc
  • The specific frequency of the "write" laser and that can change with age and use
  • The specific frequency of the "read" laser and like the "write" laser that too can change with use
  • The quality of the reflective layer of the drive which can oxidize with age and thus becomes less reflective
As a result whether a given burned disc will play properly on a given player is a bit of a crap shoot. I know of innumerable cases where a given burned disc would play properly on one player but not another. Changing disc brands (or even models within a brand) might create a disc that would play on both players or it could reverse which player the new disc would play on or in one case the new disc would not play on either player.

I don't know the specific statistics today but at one time the odds that a given burned disc would play on 4 out of 5 players on the average. Those odds were for regular CDs and DVDs but the only difference between them and BlueRay is BlueRay uses a much higher frequency (ie. shorter wavelength) laser in order to pack more data into the same physical space and that can only increase the odds of not working. The better (generally read better as more expensive) the burner and the better the player and the better the blank media the better the odds. (This is only one of the many reasons behind the move from optical media to solid state and data streaming.)

Originally Posted By: jaybass
I'm told that all USB drives are formatted as FAT32. The 8 drives that I have

are FAT32

USB is a drive interface independent of the storage media. For example I have Hard Drives, Solid State Drives, SD cards, Thumb Drives, and CD/DVD drives that have USB interface to my computer. I believe you are using USB to refer to a "USB Flash Drive" (a.k.a. Thumb Drive). FAT32 formatting is commonly used for smaller USB Flash Drives (less than 32 GiB), but for higher capacity Flash drives ExFAT format is more commonly used. ExFAT is specifically optimized for use with Flash Drives and XD Cards, has no realistic limit on the number of files and file sizes, and is compatible with both Windows and MacOS. It is the default file system for all SDXC Cards. Apple's Disk Utility is capable of formatting a USB Flash Drive as ExFAT and MacOS can read and write to ExFAT drives.

USB Flash Dives, SD cards, and SDXC Cards may be formatted any format you choose. I have Flash drives and SD cards formatted FAT, ExFAT, MacOS Extended, and APFS. (APFS works quit well on a Flash Drive if you are only dealing with Macs running Sierra or later.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard