of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#50274 - 10/19/18 11:27 AM Juvenile Magpie
grelber Offline

Loc: North of 49th ||
My thrill of the day, if not year. smile

This morning I went to the neighborhood public library and came across a juvenile magpie with spanking-new plumage foraging (without much luck) around the base of a tree. When I stopped and chatted with him, he was extremely calm and approached me expectantly, winking repeatedly. When I made low-pitched chucking sounds, he responded by coming closer — ca 2 feet — and making typical magpie food-begging chirps. Not receiving the expected reward, he went back to the base of the tree, 'muttering' to himself.

I have never had such an encounter with a magpie before. They are usually extremely wary and keep their distance and make defensive noises. I can only hope this behavior on Roscoe's part gets passed on genetically.

#50275 - 10/19/18 12:03 PM Re: Juvenile Magpie [Re: grelber]
ryck Offline

Loc: Okanagan Valley
Originally Posted By: grelber
Not receiving the expected reward, he went back to the base of the tree, 'muttering' to himself.

It would be interesting to hear a translation of what he muttered. I wonder if any of his words would need to be bleeped.

Edited by ryck (10/19/18 12:04 PM)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4
OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Canon MX710 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner
Time Machine on 320GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro
Carbon Copy Clone on 500GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro

#50282 - 10/20/18 12:09 AM Re: Juvenile Magpie [Re: ryck]
grelber Offline

Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: grelber
Not receiving the expected reward, he went back to the base of the tree, 'muttering' to himself.

It would be interesting to hear a translation of what he muttered. I wonder if any of his words would need to be bleeped.

Inasmuch as he was a juvenile, I suspect his 'muttering' was the equivalent of a human juvenile's muttering when expectations aren't met by an adult (who could have met them) ... which is exactly how I interpreted it.

Along those lines you might wish to check out Thomas Nagel's treatise on "What Is It Like to Be a Bat" [The Philosophical Review 1974; 83 (4): 435-450].

#50289 - 10/20/18 02:51 PM Re: Juvenile Magpie [Re: grelber]
joemikeb Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted By: Grelber
Inasmuch as he was a juvenile, I suspect his 'muttering' was the equivalent of a human juvenile's muttering when expectations aren't met by an adult (who could have met them) ... which is exactly how I interpreted it.

You mean something along the lines of, "I hope you are a new source of food that I won't have to work for." grin

#50293 - 10/21/18 03:18 AM Re: Juvenile Magpie [Re: joemikeb]
grelber Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: Grelber

You mean something along the lines of, "I hope you are a new source of food that I won't have to work for." grin

Más or menos ... probably with a tinge of "I'm cute and deserving and I'm not seeing anything worth wasting more time on."

Moderator:  alternaut, cyn