for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Removing Cookies
joemikeb #50262 10/18/18 04:43 PM

I would like to get my sister a new small TV that is not a smart TV while they are still available. Some retail sites give the option in the search prefs to check or uncheck Smart TV capability. After I saw what Samsung is capable of with my own TV, I advise everyone to avoid Smart TVs or Smart anything, and of course I am ignored.

deniro #50264 10/18/18 08:03 PM
OP Offline

I've thought about using Cookie because of Artie, but if the whitelisted items are also deleted, I am not interested. It causes problems and many more steps to log into my bank account when the bank's cookies are deleted. Darn!

Originally Posted By: deniro
I started using Cookie a couple months ago because it was cheap and because the tech industry has become increasingly intrusive. I bought Radio Silence for the same reason. These are tools are would not have used in the past.

I haven't payed close attention to either one yet. Cookie deletes even the sites I've whitelisted. So I have to tweak it somehow. A manual would help, but of course there isn't one.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

deniro #50267 10/19/18 08:07 AM

Cookie deletes even the sites I've whitelisted. (Emphasis added)

That sounds like where you're going wrong: You can't whitelist an entire website, only individual cookies.

To whitelist an individual cookie, you control-click on it, and then click on "Add to Whitelist"; to save all cookies from, i.e. whitelist, an entire site you check its "Favorite" box. (The three items in my Cookie pane that show only one cookie and have their "Favorite" boxes UNchecked are my whitelisted items.)

Hope this helps.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #50268 10/19/18 08:17 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I've thought about using Cookie because of Artie, but if the whitelisted items are also deleted, I am not interested.

Whitelisted items are NOT deleted, Rita; see my response to deniro.

I've used Cookie (literally) from day one, and although it's gone over a few bumps in the road and hit a few potholes along the way, it works fine, as I"m sure ryck will attest to.

(joemike has at least tested Cookie alongside Cookie Stumbler, but he's never weighed in with an opinion.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50269 10/19/18 04:01 PM

I mis-spoke. Everyone should download Cookie and see if they like it. It's cheap. I need to learn more about it, because I must be doing something wrong. It's more than set it and forget it. Maybe others can try it and we can evaluate it in another thread.

At the beginning, the program asked me to check off bookmarked sites that I use often. I call these the whitelist. These are the sites whose cookies I want to keep because I don't want to re-enter my passwords every time I turn on my computer. So far, I'm having to re-enter some of the ones I thought were being kept.

There are different kinds of cookies. Take Google as an example. There are many Google cookies, but only one of them is for your Gmail password. That's the one you want to keep. There's a tutorial at the Cookie site that explains this. You have to go into the Google cookie list and pick the particular one you want to keep.

It's not obvious. It's not self-evident or self-explanation. A manual would help. I have a program in Windows 7 where I'm trying to do the same thing.

Last edited by deniro; 10/19/18 04:05 PM.
artie505 #50270 10/19/18 04:07 PM

I've thought about using Cookie because of Artie, but if the whitelisted items are also deleted, I am not interested.

Originally Posted By: artie505
....to save all cookies from, i.e. whitelist, an entire site you check its "Favorite" box.

I've used Cookie (literally) from day one, and although it's gone over a few bumps in the road and hit a few potholes along the way, it works fine, as I"m sure ryck will attest to.

Of course, and I will add that Cookie is one of my most useful applications. I keep the Cookie window open on my desktop where I can see the list of “Favorites” and any new cookies that are added by other sites as I browse.

I can get rid of the new cookies immediately by clicking on “Remove Non-Favorites” at the bottom of the Cookie window, or I can let Cookie get rid of them all in one shot when I close the browser.

Additionally I can monitor the sites that add tracking cookies. Sometimes even a “Favorite” will add a tracking cookie but I may not want that favorite site to track my movements. By clicking on “Remove Tracking Cookies” I get rid of tracking cookies placed by Favorites without deleting any Favorite site from my list.

Last edited by ryck; 10/19/18 04:15 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
deniro #50271 10/19/18 04:31 PM

At the beginning, the program asked me to check off bookmarked sites that I use often. I call these the whitelist. These are the sites whose cookies I want to keep because I don't want re-enter my passwords every time I turn on my computer. So far, I'm having to re-enter some of the ones I thought were being kept.

There are different kinds of cookies. Take Google as an example. There are many Google cookies, but only one of them is for your Gmail password. That's the one you want to keep. There's a tutorial at the Cookie site that explains this.

The sites you call your whitelist are your Favorites. (Your whitelist is accessed by command-O, but it's a bit quirky about appearing.)

The ones that disappear may be session cookies which are automatically cleared by Safari when it's quit, and to which Cookie has no access to either save or delete. (Here's a test: Disable Cookie's timer [if you use it] and visit one of those sites; if its cookies appear in your Cookie pane, checked as favorites, and disappear later there's a problem, but if they don't appear at all, they're session cookies.)

Whitelisting is for cookies like your Gmail password cookie when it's the only Google cookie you want to save.

What I do is take a screenshot of my cookie pane before performing an action whose cookie I want to save and and whitelisting whatever's new afterwards. (Note that you must disable Cookie's timer [if you use it] while you're engaged in the process or it will infuriatingly clear the ones with which you're working while you're trying to work with them.)

artie505 #50272 10/19/18 05:16 PM
OP Offline

It's seems too complicated to me since I need to keep about 3 or 4 cookies. If I were to get rid of all of them it would be so much easier. I used it last night and it showed my favorites which included my bank. I could not log into my bank at all on this computer. I logged in on my old MacBook pro to make sure it wasn't the bank site. It wasn't. I tossed the Cookie and now I can get into my bank.

Also when it showed me my favorites list it included FinetunedMac. I was able to check the box next to it but for some reason the words FinetunedMac were grayed out. None of the others were. I may or may not try again. I don't feel like dealing with it at the moment.

I must say that it did get rid of those pesky cookies that kept repopulating m y computer. They came back this morning but I could get rid of them without them returning. Weird since I don't have Cookie anymore.

Whitelisted items are NOT deleted, Rita; see my response to deniro.

(joemike has at least tested Cookie alongside Cookie Stumbler, but he's never weighed in with an opinion.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50283 10/20/18 09:22 AM

It's seems too complicated to me since I need to keep about 3 or 4 cookies. If I were to get rid of all of them it would be so much easier. I used it last night and it showed my favorites which included my bank. I could not log into my bank at all on this computer. I logged in on my old MacBook pro to make sure it wasn't the bank site. It wasn't. I tossed the Cookie and now I can get into my bank.

Cookie doesn't do anything that could affect your login unless you tell it to.

Also when it showed me my favorites list it included FinetunedMac. I was able to check the box next to it but for some reason the words FinetunedMac were grayed out.

That computes. Once you check a site as a Favorite it remains as a place holder even if you inadvertently delete its cookies, and your FTM cookies periodically disappear until your next login, so that's probably why it was greyed out.

I must say that it did get rid of those pesky cookies that kept repopulating m y computer. They came back this morning but I could get rid of them without them returning. Weird since I don't have Cookie anymore.

Something doesn't sound right there.

artie505 #50286 10/20/18 04:06 PM
OP Offline

I know it's weird. But I just checked and I still don't have any ever cookies. I only had two cookies I didn't want in "manage my cookies". The long list of repeat cookies isn't coming back for some reason.

If I told Cookie to not let me log in, it was an accident and I don't know what I did, but I can log in now that Cookie is gone. I can also log into the Cookie forum which I couldn't do after I installed Cookie.

I know it's simple for some people to use but not for me. I don't do well figuring out how things work on my own without a manual.

Cookie doesn't do anything that could affect your login unless you tell it to.

Also when it showed me my favorites list it included FinetunedMac. I was able to check the box next to it but for some reason the words FinetunedMac were grayed out.

That computes. Once you check a site as a Favorite it remains as a place holder even if you inadvertently delete its cookies, and your FTM cookies periodically disappear until your next login, so that's probably why it was greyed out.

Something doesn't sound right there.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50287 10/20/18 04:25 PM

I know it's simple for some people to use but not for me. I don't do well figuring out how things work on my own without a manual.

For sure, Cookie isn't the most intuitive app I"ve ever run across.

It's just that I"ve been with it and its ins and outs and ups and downs for so long that it's kinda second nature to me.

I'd love to have been looking over your shoulder.

artie505 #50288 10/20/18 09:21 PM
OP Offline

I wish you could look too like when Apple gets into my computer and points out where to click. So helpful.

Also, have you heard of Ccleaner? It's supposed to clean cookies also. And the Bleachbit owner says Bleachbit will get rid of ever cookies. Maybe I'll go that route.

For sure, Cookie isn't the most intuitive app I"ve ever run across.

It's just that I"ve been with it and its ins and outs and ups and downs for so long that it's kinda second nature to me.

I'd love to have been looking over your shoulder.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50290 10/20/18 11:10 PM

I use Bleachbit on Windows and it's good for deleting everything. It applies to more than just cookies and isn't as selective or customizable.

The only time I have gotten any kind of malware (virus or other) was in Windows because I downloaded CCleaner from File Hippo. I had used it a lot and downloaded it many times. It's constantly being updated. Then one day it came piggybacked with a virus. Malwarebytes detected it after a scan. I had to erase my hard drive and start over. I had a partial backup, but on Windows starting over with a clean system still takes a long time. That was the last time I used CCleaner. Download sites are supposed to check the programs they offer for download, but I didn't see so much as an apology at File Hippo.

That's the Windows world.

deniro #50291 10/21/18 12:26 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for the info. I think I will steer clear of CCleaner. As far as not being as customizable, can I at least pick and choose which websites I want to clear cookies from in Bleachbit? Thanks.

I use Bleachbit on Windows and it's good for deleting everything. It applies to more than just cookies and isn't as selective or customizable.

The only time I have gotten any kind of malware (virus or other) was in Windows because I downloaded CCleaner from File Hippo. I had used it a lot and downloaded it many times. It's constantly being updated. Then one day it came piggybacked with a virus. Malwarebytes detected it after a scan. I had to erase my hard drive and start over. I had a partial backup, but on Windows starting over with a clean system still takes a long time. That was the last time I used CCleaner. Download sites are supposed to check the programs they offer for download, but I didn't see so much as an apology at File Hippo.

That's the Windows world.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50292 10/21/18 09:21 AM

...can I at least pick and choose which websites I want to clear cookies from in Bleachbit?

You can do that in Safari...no 3rd party assistance necessary.

In Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Manage Website Data... you can retain and delete cookies as you like, but not automatically as an app would allow you to do (but bear in mind that some come back automatically...nothing you can do about them except quit Safari).

joemike has been high on Cookie Stumbler, but its dev's website is gone, and even though you can still d/l it you can't so much as initiate a trial period.

(From a very cursory look, I'd say that neither CCleaner nor Bleachbit enables you to selectively clear cookies.)

artie505 #50294 10/21/18 04:18 PM
OP Offline

Hi Artie:

I already do that. But it didn't do any good because the other cookies joined in after I deleted them. I want something that will get rid of the repopulating cookies for good until I go to their site or a site that uses a third party cookie where I have no choice. That's what's usually happening, cookies from unknown entities.

Also, Safari has been very slow, and in reading up on all the things I can do to speed it up, CleanMyMac X was recommended with a lot of good reviews. Do you know whether that app is safe or not?

...can I at least pick and choose which websites I want to clear cookies from in Bleachbit?

You can do that in Safari...no 3rd party assistance necessary.

In Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Manage Website Data... you can retain and delete cookies as you like, but not automatically as an app would allow you to do (but bear in mind that some come back automatically...nothing you can do about them except quit Safari).

joemike has been high on Cookie Stumbler, but its dev's website is gone, and even though you can still d/l it you can't so much as initiate a trial period.

(From a very cursory look, I'd say that neither CCleaner nor Bleachbit enables you to selectively clear cookies.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #50295 10/21/18 04:25 PM
OP Offline

I tried and never did see an icon that lets me select data when autofill refuses to fill in a form.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Well, maybe I am on some level, but when I intentionally tried to use it, I didn't like it. And now, for some reason, my autofill has decided not to work most of the time. frown

Autofill uses the keychain to store userid's and passwords and it still works, but in the data field you may see a little icon at the far right side, click on that and you will get a prompt asking what data you want to use. Select the data set and it will be filled in.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50297 10/21/18 09:07 PM

I thought Bleachbit was Windows only.

deniro #50298 10/21/18 09:11 PM

I thought Bleachbit was Windows only.

Mac OS X | BleachBit

plantsower #50299 10/22/18 12:57 AM

I already do that. But it didn't do any good because the other cookies joined in after I deleted them. I want something that will get rid of the repopulating cookies for good until I go to their site or a site that uses a third party cookie where I have no choice. That's what's usually happening, cookies from unknown entities.

Hi, Rita,

You're going to have to be specific about what's happening or link us to a website where it's happening. If your repopulating cookies are evercookies, Cookie should be able to get rid of them (I'm not aware of any alternatives.), and if they're something else, I can't be sure what they are without experiencing them. (I haven't gotten the impression that evercookies are prevalent.)

Nor do I follow "the other cookies joined in after I deleted them". What's it mean?

Also, Safari has been very slow, and in reading up on all the things I can do to speed it up, CleanMyMac X was recommended with a lot of good reviews. Do you know whether that app is safe or not?

I just looked at CleanMyMac X 4.0.4, and it's awfully pricey for what appears to be functionality that's can be had at -0- cost elsewhere.

And aside from that, a brief look didn't give me any reason to believe that it would speed Safari up. (For what it's worth, I'm finding Safari 12 to be slow...don't remember about 11.)

artie505 #50300 10/22/18 04:14 AM
OP Offline

Hi, Rita,

You're going to have to be specific about what's happening or link us to a website where it's happening. If your repopulating cookies are evercookies, Cookie should be able to get rid of them (I'm not aware of any alternatives.), and if they're something else, I can't be sure what they are without experiencing them. (I haven't gotten the impression that evercookies are prevalent.)

Nor do I follow "the other cookies joined in after I deleted them". What's it mean?

I mean after I get rid of cookies of all but the 3 cookies I want to keep, all the cookies that I just got rid of come back, even if I don't have a tab or window open for that cookie. They just keep coming back over and over and over again. That's why I think they are ever cookies. They are also for sites I've never been to.

I just looked at CleanMyMac X 4.0.4, and it's awfully pricey for what appears to be functionality that's can be had at -0- cost elsewhere.

I just used the free version but even though it said it freed up my ram, I didn't notice a difference on my old mac. Under storage it says that both of my 2 gig storages of RAM are in use. So even though I hardly use any of my other memory, my RAM is almost filled up for some reason. I wonder if that's why it's so slow and has the beachball.

And aside from that, a brief look didn't give me any reason to believe that it would speed Safari up. (For what it's worth, I'm finding Safari 12 to be slow...don't remember about 11.)

I will probably dump it even though it's free. I didn't notice a difference.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50301 10/22/18 11:05 AM

Those cookies from sites to which you've never been are probably tracking cookies, and many different sites place the same ones, so even if you close one window that utilizes them they may respawn because they're still being used by a window that's still open. (What are your cookie settings in Safari > Prefs > Privacy?)

You're gonna hate this, Rita, but I think it's time for you to upgrade to Safari 12, because it's got new security/privacy features that l suspect address your issue...at least in part (because you may, in fact, have some evercookies). If you're wary of it, experiment on your old MBP or on a clone, and see what happens.

As for CleanMyMac X, you got sucked in; there is no free version, only a free d/l, which is a sneaky way of getting you to try it and see "how many times over it's worth the $40/year or $90/one time buy price", so when the "buy it or lose it" screen pops up you'll bite. (Check out MacPaw's website, and see if you see so much as a hint of a free VERSION.)

artie505 #50302 10/22/18 04:01 PM
OP Offline

Those cookies from sites to which you've never been are probably tracking cookies, and many different sites place the same ones, so even if you close one window that utilizes them they may respawn because they're still being used by a window that's still open. (What are your cookie settings in Safari > Prefs > Privacy?)

I keep changing my cookie prefs but Safari seems to work best if I accept all cookies from sites I visit.

You're gonna hate this, Rita, but I think it's time for you to upgrade to Safari 12, because it's got new security/privacy features that l suspect address your issue...at least in part (because you may, in fact, have some evercookies). If you're wary of it, experiment on your old MBP or on a clone, and see what happens.

That's a good idea about my old MBP. It's still buggy and lots of beachballs but it probably can't hurt. It says I'm using nearly all my RAM but I don't know how to remedy that. I did take down lots of log in items but it still says I'm using almost all my RAM. I have 4 gigs in the old MBP and 8 gigs in the new one of which I am using over 6 gigs of ram at the moment!

As for CleanMyMac X, you got sucked in; there is no free version, only a free d/l, which is a sneaky way of getting you to try it and see "how many times over it's worth the $40/year or $90/one time buy price", so when the "buy it or lose it" screen pops up you'll bite. (Check out MacPaw's website, and see if you see so much as a hint of a free VERSION.)

Yeah, I did get a free d/l and it supposedly cleaned up some stuff, but in order to get rid of all of it I have to buy it, and you're right, it's very pricey. Is there another cleanup app that is free that does a good job? I use OnyX but it never really helped my old MBP. I want to be able to clean out all the trash that I can't tell is trash so that it will run smoothly and not use so much RAM.

Do you like 12?
What will I lose from 11 that might tick me off?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50304 10/22/18 06:26 PM
OP Offline

Diagnostic Results from Activity Monitor

These look like temporary files. I would like to delete them if it's safe.

That's a good idea about my old MBP. It's still buggy and lots of beachballs but it probably can't hurt. It says I'm using nearly all my RAM but I don't know how to remedy that. I did take down lots of log in items but it still says I'm using almost all my RAM. I have 4 gigs in the old MBP and 8 gigs in the new one of which I am using over 6 gigs of ram at the moment!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50305 10/22/18 09:44 PM

I just used the free version but even though it said it freed up my ram, I didn't notice a difference on my old mac. Under storage it says that both of my 2 gig storages of RAM are in use. So even though I hardly use any of my other memory, my RAM is almost filled up for some reason. I wonder if that's why it's so slow and has the beachball.

Just saying your RAM is almost filled up means very little in MacOS any more because of the way memory is used. In older versions of OS X when the system got short of RAM it would immediately dump data to swap files on the hard drive which materially impacted performance. In MacOS much of what used to go into swap files on the HD is now compressed and remains in RAM which takes almost no time to decompress and use when needed so it MacOS tries to keep the RAM filled as much as possible to make the system run faster and more efficiently.

Open Activity Monitor (it is in the /Applications/Utilities folder) and click on the Memory tab at the top of the window. Then look at the bottom of the window where you will see a box labelled Memory Pressure and in that box is an interactive graph of "Memory Pressure" if the bar is Green then no matter how much of your RAM is being used the system is operating at peak efficiency, but if it is Red and/or nearly fills the box then you are short of memory and the only relief for your slow speed is more RAM or fewer open applications. Another indication on that same screen is how much Swap is used. If that is a large number that is not good.

If you want to see what Task is using your memory, click on the Memory column and that will sort the running tasks by the amount of memory they are using. Safari 12, like almost any browser, is a big memory user but for example at this moment on my system it is using less than ½ GB of RAM with one window open, so it is pretty efficient in memory usage.

There are two apps that can tell you a LOT about your system and identify potential problems. Etrecheck that will scan for lots of problems that can effect system performance. It is a free download and will provide lots of usable information (it keeps getting more informative) but some of the really detailed analysis and automatic scanning requires a paid subscription. The latest version offers explanations that do not require a PhD in computer Science to interpret but if you have trouble with interpretation, someone here can surely help you. MalwareBytes also has a free download and 30 day trial to rid your system of malware that may also negatively impact your systems performance.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard