FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bluetooth and wireless keyboard issue
#50246 10/17/18 02:45 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I have an Apple wireless keyboard which is only used periodically. It won’t hook up either to my desktop (Retina 5k, 27”, 2017) running 10.13.6 or to my iPad (MD520C/A running iOS 10.3.3)

The keyboard has previously been used with the iPad and is shown in the Bluetooth list of discoverable items. However, after Bluetooth does a search, I get a dialogue box that says “Connection unsuccessful. Make sure “Apple Wireless Keyboard is turned on and with range”.

On the desktop, which has never has the keyboard connected, Bluetooth just does a search and fails without comment.

As a test, I tried hooking up to the old 21” Desktop which also has the keyboard in the Bluetooth list of devices. It hooked up BUT when I opened a Word document to test further, the keyboard signal was not appearing in the document.

Any ideas of what to try next? It’s most important that the keyboard connect correctly with the iPad.

Note: The wireless Magic Mouse, that came with the 27" desktop, hooks up to both desktops without issues.

Note: As a further test of Bluetooth, I used the link for hooking my iPad to the 27" desktop. Clearly it was ready to connect and all I had to do was complete the process by entering the code provided.

Last edited by ryck; 10/17/18 03:01 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Bluetooth and wireless keyboard issue
ryck #50249 10/17/18 05:04 PM

Is this a "Magic Keyboard" (built in battery chargeable via USB) or the older wireless keyboard that uses AA batteries?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50252 10/17/18 06:46 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

It's the older keyboard that uses 2 AA batteries.

Last edited by ryck; 10/17/18 06:47 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #50253 10/17/18 08:20 PM

We have both models at our house and their bluetooth abilities are very different. Different Bluetooth chip generations and different bluetooth protocol versions. With the older battery powered keyboard, my experience over the years has been...
  1. Be sure the batteries are fresh when pairing
  2. Don't use rechargeable batteries — their output voltage is a little lower and that can make a difference, especially when pairing the keyboard
  3. Don't use cheap batteries — stick to the major brands
  4. UNpair the keyboard from ALL other devices before attempting to pair it with a new device. (This can be tricky if the other device is no longer around)
  5. Other bluetooth devices within a radius of 30 feet or so can cause problems when pairing. Turn them off or move them further away until the keyboard is paired (I can't verify cause and effect, but In one case I was wasn't successful until I powered a nearby 2.4GHz band WiFi router down)
  6. I can verify this, the bluetooth chips and firmware version in the newer "Magic" Keyboard, trackpad, and mouse pairs automatically, is longer ranged, and more stable. (Their built-in Lithium batteries go a long time without recharging too.)
Hopefully one of these will help. My one remaining battery powered wireless keyboard is on my wife's computer and although she will accept software change with only a little little to no grumbling she will NOT let me switch her keyboard out because, "might feel different" and she will not try mine out to see. (Admittedly It does have a different touch smile )

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50258 10/18/18 03:04 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, I tried all that and still can't connect....even went out into the yard with the iPad and the keyboard.

What I don't understand in all this is that, although I have an older keyboard, my iPad is also old...purchased in 2012. It seems to me that two older devices should get along just fine.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #50259 10/18/18 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Well, I tried all that and still can't connect....even went out into the yard with the iPad and the keyboard.
Specifically and precisely what steps are you taking to pair your keyboard? I am away from home and I haven't paired that model keyboard in a great while but IIRC you have to press and hold the power button on the keyboard until the light flashes off and on to create the "I am ready to pair" signal.

Originally Posted By: ryck
What I don't understand in all this is that, although I have an older keyboard, my iPad is also old...purchased in 2012. It seems to me that two older devices should get along just fine.
Your keyboard should be capable of connecting with any bluetooth device either old or new. The newer Bluetooth chips and protocols are created to be capable of quick automatic pairing and that generally works even when connecting to devices with the older chips and protocols and that is simply a fact.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50263 10/18/18 06:47 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
....but IIRC you have to press and hold the power button on the keyboard until the light flashes off and on to create the "I am ready to pair" signal.

We have lift-off. That was the key, thank-you....it's so seldom I use the keyboard with the iPad that I had totally forgot any old directions. Good thing one of us is retaining more memory modules up top. grin

I'm sticking a reminder note in the keyboard box for next time....whenever that may be.

Last edited by ryck; 10/18/18 06:53 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #50273 10/19/18 06:05 PM

RE: " . . . press and hold the power button on the keyboard until the light flashes off and on to create the "I am ready to pair" signal."

------------

Unfortunately, that does not always work, either. I would get the "green light signal", but no pairing success. I had to switch out several pairs of batteries until it all kicked in. Once paired, however, any batteries I use now work as expected.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard