for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for custom script
#50181 10/08/18 04:16 PM
OP Offline

I would like help in finding a Script that: Automatically moves the (incoming) contents from my AOL Junk and Spam Mailboxes to the AOL Trash Mailbox. Ideally, this would be in real, or near real-time.

Then, after my final review of the contents, and at a press of a keyboard shortcut, I could execute the script which would in turn would delete the contents of that AOL Trash.

Does that make sense or is it even doable on any practical level?

I realize this work may not be free, but do hope to keep the cost to a minimum. I just have no idea about this stuff and don’t even know where to begin.

Your thoughts, suggestions, & musings, are all welcome.

Last edited by cyn; 10/08/18 11:01 PM. Reason: Topic moved from the Lounge to the Networking forum.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Looking for custom script
Pendragon #50182 10/08/18 04:39 PM

You'd have to be logged in to AOL to accomplish that, and I've never gotten the impression that AOL made any provision for outside scripts...add-ons, so to speak, or that macOS could interact with it.

A call to AOL tech support may be a good idea.

(I HATE, HATE, HATE AOL! A pox on Verizon for sticking me with them. mad )

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50183 10/08/18 04:59 PM
OP Offline

Sorry, Artie. I should have been more clear.

Those mailboxes I described above are not resident on AOL, but rather, are part of Apple Mail (What I see is after AOL has sent the mail to Apple Mail.)

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #50184 10/08/18 05:05 PM

In that case, Harv, take a look at Mail > Prefs > Rules; you may be able to set it up yourself (except for the emptying the trash part).

Afterthought: Command-shift-delete empties Mail's trash when you're in Mail.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #50185 10/08/18 07:15 PM

There are three easy and automatic ways to get junk and spam into the same mailbox and trash is just another mailbox.
  1. In Mail > Preferences > Junk Mail
    1. Be sure Enable junk mail filtering is checked
    2. under When junk mail arrives select the Perform custom actions radio button
    3. at the bottom of the junk mail window click Advanced
    4. under Perform the following actions select the mailbox you want to move the junk mail to.
  2. Assuming the junk and spam is being sorted into the appropriate mailboxes by the Mail app the easiest "fix" to your problem would be to go to Mail > Preferences > Rules and click on Add Rule and set up a rule like this.
  3. In Mail > Preferences > Accounts select your AOL account then click on Mailbox behaviors and there you can specify the mailbox to be used for Junk and or Trash

NOTE: the first method has the advantage of being specific to one email account, while the others would apply to all your email accounts equally.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50187 10/09/18 05:08 PM
OP Offline

First, many thanks for the detailed options, Joe. Always, that is appreciated.

I have pretty much concluded #1 method is a non-starter because SpamSieve (which I generally like) mandates that junk mail filtering not be enabled.

When I looked at option #3, I found it of no real benefit.

But option #2 may hold promise, especially if it will move all junk directly to the (AOL) Trash.

Such that it is, I hope to put this matter to rest in the next day or so and will, FWIW, advise of my success (or not).

Harv

Pendragon #50188 10/10/18 05:32 PM
OP Offline

Thanks to the help y'all provided, I avoided wasting a few Zorkmids and 90% of my requirements are satisfied.

FYI: In a recent conversation with the developer of SpamSieve, he opined that in an upcoming version, he hopes to provide an optional setting/preference that would cause all Spam & Junk to be moved to the same destination.

Again, with appreciation-

Harv

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard