for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Problems with Safari
#50166 10/07/18 06:58 PM
OP Offline

I am having more and more problems with pages, animated cards, etc. not loading up on Safari, but have no problem when I switch to FireFox. Anyone else noticing this?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Problems with Safari
plantsower #50169 10/07/18 08:32 PM

Have you emptied the Safari cache? The keyboard shortcut is Option-Command-E. Relaunch Safari and see if that helps. Please post a link to a problem site so that we can try it.

Also, you could update to Safari 12 via App Store.

Last edited by jchuzi; 10/07/18 08:33 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #50171 10/07/18 10:42 PM
OP Offline

Hi Jon:

I actually empty my cache quite often. I put my computer to sleep every night but I don't shut it down unless I have a problem. I didn't think about that. Next time I will reboot.

Well, FTM gave me a problem earlier but seems fine now. The other site was from an e-card I got from my sister which I ditched.

I have a survey site I go to every day, and when they send me third party surveys, they sometimes stall on Safari but not on Firefox. The only problem is the last time I had a problem on the survey site I brought it up here, but once I click on the link they give me, it is disabled by the company so I can't show you what happens.

If it happens again on a regular website, I will try to remember to reboot. If that doesn't work, I will post a link here.

I don't like to update Safari unless it becomes completely necessary. I usually end up losing something I really liked about the earlier version, so I am gun shy about updating. Same thing with my iPhone.

Thanks.

Rita

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Have you emptied the Safari cache? The keyboard shortcut is Option-Command-E. Relaunch Safari and see if that helps. Please post a link to a problem site so that we can try it.

Also, you could update to Safari 12 via App Store.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50172 10/07/18 11:15 PM

Hi, Rita,

FTM's not a good example, because since tacit changed servers a while back it's been temperamental.

If I remember correctly, you posted a problem with your survey site a while back, and I suggested that you try on your husband's machine. How did that work out?

As Apple has "locked down" Safari further and further, I've found myself having to go to Firefox too, but sometimes my problem has only been that I've needed to turn off my ad blocker and/or Ghostery (and I"ll note that unchecking "Enable content blockers" under my Website Settings icon does NOT turn off Ghostery, which must be turned off separately).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50173 10/08/18 12:46 AM
OP Offline

Hi Artie:

Yes, I had problems with the survey site before. I can't remember if I tried my husband's computer back then or not. But if you suggested it, I probably did. I just don't remember the outcome. tongue Ok, I didn't know that unchecking "enable content blockers" didn't include Ghostery. How did you discover that? Though usually I check "disable extensions" under the Develop menu.

What do you mean by Apple locking things down? I do get disgusted with them from time to time, and whenever I call them with AppleCare, the first thing out of their mouth is that I need to update to the latest version. I know that doesn't take care of everything and especially if it worked before (unless they are messing with prior versions on our computers. I don't even know if that's possible.) One thing that Firefox has that I like is an add-on that lets you know which YouTube videos you've already watched. That is handy, especially when I'm researching something. Safari does no such thing.

Rita
Originally Posted By: artie505

Hi, Rita,

FTM's not a good example, because since tacit changed servers a while back it's been temperamental.

If I remember correctly, you posted a problem with your survey site a while back, and I suggested that you try on your husband's machine. How did that work out?

As Apple has "locked down" Safari further and further, I've found myself having to go to Firefox too, but sometimes my problem has only been that I've needed to turn off my ad blocker and/or Ghostery (and I"ll note that unchecking "Enable content blockers" under my Website Settings icon does NOT turn off Ghostery, which must be turned off separately).

Last edited by plantsower; 10/08/18 12:48 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #50174 10/08/18 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Ok, I didn't know that unchecking "enable content blockers" didn't include Ghostery. How did you discover that? Though usually I check "disable extensions" under the Develop menu.

I used to use the Develop menu, but I found its forcing every open page, rather than only the one in which I was interested, to reload too much of a nuisance, so I switched to the Website Settings icon and learned about Ghostery in a lucky "Hmmm... I wonder" moment.

What do you mean by Apple locking things down?

I mean that they keep ratcheting up Safari's security features (and I've got no idea if their new "features" actually improve my total browsing experience, not just its security, or detract from it by forcing me to use Firefox on websites with which Safari is unable to deal).

I do get disgusted with them from time to time, and whenever I call them with AppleCare, the first thing out of their mouth is that I need to update to the latest version. I know that doesn't take care of everything and especially if it worked before (unless they are messing with prior versions on our computers. I don't even know if that's possible.) One thing that Firefox has that I like is an add-on that lets you know which YouTube videos you've already watched. That is handy, especially when I'm researching something. Safari does no such thing.

In Safari's case, updating to the latest version almost seems to be more likely to cause grief than joy these days.

I've looked at Firefox time and time again (thanks to grelber), but I just don't like the way it "flows" as compared to Safari; I'm willing to put up with switching to it occasionally, though, if it saves me from having to use it full time. But I may be forced to switch if the new AdBlock app doesn't incorporate the "Block an ad on this page" functionality that makes the extension so GREAT, because the Firefox AdBlock add-on does.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50175 10/08/18 03:31 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Ok, I didn't know that unchecking "enable content blockers" didn't include Ghostery. How did you discover that? Though usually I check "disable extensions" under the Develop menu.

I used to use the Develop menu, but I found its forcing every open page, rather than only the one in which I was interested, to reload too much of a nuisance, so I switched to the Website Settings icon and learned about Ghostery in a lucky "Hmmm... I wonder" moment. I didn't know "disable extensions" forced all my open tabs to reload. I'll have to think about that.

What do you mean by Apple locking things down?

I mean that they keep ratcheting up Safari's security features (and I've got no idea if their new "features" actually improve my total browsing experience, not just its security, or detract from it by forcing me to use Firefox on websites with which Safari is unable to deal). Right. I just remembered sometimes my bank site lags too with Safari.

I do get disgusted with them from time to time, and whenever I call them with AppleCare, the first thing out of their mouth is that I need to update to the latest version. I know that doesn't take care of everything and especially if it worked before (unless they are messing with prior versions on our computers. I don't even know if that's possible.) One thing that Firefox has that I like is an add-on that lets you know which YouTube videos you've already watched. That is handy, especially when I'm researching something. Safari does no such thing.

In Safari's case, updating to the latest version almost seems to be more likely to cause grief than joy these days. Right. That's why I always refused to do it when talking to AppleCare. And if they can't help me, it's back to "you need to upgrade." I say "nope" and that's the end of that.

I've looked at Firefox time and time again (thanks to grelber), but I just don't like the way it "flows" as compared to Safari; I'm willing to put up with switching to it occasionally, though, if it saves me from having to use it full time. But I may be forced to switch if the new AdBlock app doesn't incorporate the "Block an ad on this page" functionality that makes the extension so GREAT, because the Firefox AdBlock add-on does.
I think I must have all the Adblock Apps (Adblock, Adblock Plus, Adblock Ultimate and Adblock Engine.) They work great except with YouTube where they are playing more ads than ever. I also use Safari and then FireFox when needed. It's so handy to go to FireFox via the Develop menu.

Thanks again, Artie.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard