An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Advice: Virtual machine or use thumb to boot in?
#50025 09/24/18 05:17 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I really like my old Dreamweaver CS3, and don't want to pay Adobe $240 years for DW. What is better, using Virtual Machine, or just getting an old OS onto a thumb drive and boot into that?

Also how get an old OS now? It's not like Apple keeps those handy somewhere do they?

Re: Advice: Virtual machine or use thumb to boot in?
kevs #50026 09/24/18 08:04 PM

I too really love(d) Dreamweaver, but have been priced out of the market and haven't found anything to replace it. If you can get an older MacOS version that will run CS3 I would recommend a 7200 RPM HD like this (bus powered, decently fast, very reliable, and reasonably priced) or if you just gotta have Solid State something along these lines (there goes the budget). Either will outperform a thumb drive. (I have used a thumb drive as an emergency boot drive with both TechTool Pro (Pro-To-Go) and Drive Genius (Bootwell) and both were agonizingly slow to boot from and painfully slow to run on. As to a virtual machine my only comment is, look at their declining popularity and consider there has to be reasons for that decline.

By-the-way, if you ever find an affordable or even not too unaffordable replacement for Dreamweaver there are lots of folks who would be grateful to know what it is.

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/24/18 10:58 PM. Reason: Corrected URL

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50028 09/24/18 08:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe!
You first link does not work, 2nd link 1TB drive $450? But there are many 1tb drives not for under 100 no?

Ok just boot into the drive with OS, no need for anything virtual? Someone suggested that on DW forum, probably misguided.

Yes, the gauging of the American consumer Joe! Adobe geez... there photo package is actually not so bad $10 month, and you get LR, PS, Bridge and a free web portfolio. Not much more that the $150 upgrade every year and a half I would pay for standalone.

What is the deal with DW?? $240 year year after year... Such grotesque greed.

That said, I've been on the forums and Wappler is new and the best deal, so far, there is a free version, check it out.

Also, Blu Griffon isn't bad, but it cost $100 and I'm not sure better than free Wappler. Tell me what you think between the two vs DW, Love your opinion.

That said, neither has the comfort level of DW, which I'm used to now for 15 years.

So still may try the boot into CS3 idea.. will be needed as 64 is coming. As it is all sudden, change a link site wide is now not working with CS3, not sure why, maybe some corruption..

kevs #50030 09/24/18 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe!
You first link does not work, 2nd link 1TB drive $450? But there are many 1tb drives not for under 100 no?

I fixed the link and there are 1TB drives under $100 but those are either really cheap with performance to match or don't have the necessary enclosure. The other drive is pretty high powered and the only thing holding it back would be the USB 3 link

Ok just boot into the drive with OS, no need for anything virtual? Someone suggested that on DW forum, probably misguided.

That is what I do with my recovery drives. I don't see any need for virtualization.

Yes, the gauging of the American consumer Joe! Adobe geez... there photo package is actually not so bad $10 month, and you get LR, PS, Bridge and a free web portfolio. Not much more that the $150 upgrade every year and a half I would pay for standalone.

Have you checked Adobe's prices lately? Single apps are running $12 to $30+ a month if you sign an annual contract — there is a slight , very slight, discount if you pay a year in advance. The packages run about the same as three major apps.

What is the deal with DW?? $240 year year after year... Such grotesque greed.

Adobe bought Macromedia to get Dreamweaver and Flash when Adobe's in house products proved themselves to be non-competitive and other than occasional glitz upgrades didn't do much with it. Dreamweaver is still competitive, but HTML5 and smartphones have pretty well put Flash out of the market. That still leaves DreamWeaver with no serious competition for the professional market so Adobe can and does charge what the market will bear.

That said, I've been on the forums and Wappler is new and the best deal, so far, there is a free version, check it out.

Also, Blu Griffon isn't bad, but it cost $100 and I'm not sure better than free Wappler. Tell me what you think between the two vs DW, Love your opinion.

THANKS I will check those out.

So still may try the boot into CS3 idea.. will be needed as 64 is coming. As it is all sudden, change a link site wide is now not working with CS3, not sure why, maybe some corruption..

Just to be sure we are in the same page of the manual, you would not boot into CS3, you would boot into a version of MacOS on that drive which will in turn run CS3. Just be sure to avoid APFS or you not be able to access files on a drive formatted APFS.

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/24/18 11:36 PM. Reason: typo

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50031 09/25/18 12:11 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe.

Never heard of APFS ever. What does it mean?

Yes, I meant boot into an external with old OS to use DW.

Your first link $140.00-- would this just as well do the job for this micro project, just booting into an old OS for DW CS3?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...bile_usb_c.html

When I've looked into it, I think DW is $20 month. Just sent Adobe a letter. I already buy the photographer package, maybe I would pay $10 month for DW, but more seems excessive. I'm not a pro with clients, just use it occasionally for one website I own.

Yes, let me know your verdict of those 2 especially Wappler, vs DW CS3 or DW CC.

For DW CS3 what OS would you choose to do this project with?

joemikeb #50032 09/25/18 12:14 AM

Price update on your suggestions:

Wappler does have a free version but it doesn't do a lot. To get significant functionality it runs 19€ ($21.66)/month and for full functionality 49€ ($55.87)/month. ($260/year to $670/year makes Dreamweaver at $240 look quite reasonable.)

BluGriffon is not rental but costs 75€ ($85) for the basic version and 195€ ($222.34) with EPUB.

NOTE both are available for MacOS in 64 bit only.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50033 09/25/18 12:18 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, Wappler the free does everything I think I would need for a simple old html site. What is the paid stuff I need? I think that's for serious developers.

Yes Blu Griffon is just one low price. I'm not sure I like it much though, I don't see a good project directory.

Be curious what you think after using them a bit..

kevs #50041 09/25/18 10:51 PM

I will be looking at those two plus Flux 7 ($99) and the open source Source Forge project Kompozer as well. Both look promising.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50042 09/25/18 10:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I'll wait for your verdict. I'm in touch with Adobe, so far they wont budge, very greedy.

See if those software, even ones I mentioned, if you can easily change a link sitewide. DW does this nicely.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard