FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New used iMac shakedown cruise
deniro #49792 08/23/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
I tried the link to the App store and when I tried to download El Cap I got the message "This version of OS 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer".

Do you get the feeling that the universe is out to get you?! confused tongue crazy

So much for technology doing our bidding. I too am ever so much closer to abandoning all tech, if only to create humongous gouts of time to deal with reading (all the materials saved up for retirement), great and not-so-great movies, sudoku in the intermissions. Banzai!

grelber #49793 08/23/18 07:13 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

If you live long enough, you see quality going down, down, down...

deniro #49795 08/24/18 06:33 AM

I tried the link to the App store and when I tried to download El Cap I got the message "This version of OS 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer".

My bad! The (unread, naturally tongue ) small print has struck again, but in blatant and unashamed contravention of Apple's attempts to limit us to our recovery partitions I'd be happy to burn my archived copy of the El Cap installer to a double-layer DVD for you, and you can use it to create a bootable installer on a 16 GB flash drive and/or simply save it on your iMac.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
deniro #49796 08/24/18 06:52 AM

If you live long enough, you see quality going down, down, down...

Apropos of which, after many years of waging a valiant and pretty darn clever battle against product degradation, the makers of M & Ms have finally succumbed to the inevitable and made them practically inedible.

A 65 year staple of my diet irreplaceably down the tubes! frown mad

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49797 08/24/18 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
... after many years of waging a valiant and pretty darn clever battle against product degradation, the makers of M&Ms have finally succumbed to the inevitable and made them practically inedible.
A 65 year staple of my diet irreplaceably down the tubes! frown mad

Please explain. I moved away from M&Ms when they (apparently) discontinued the almond variety with dark chocolate a few years back. What did Mars do now?

grelber #49798 08/24/18 10:01 AM

I started Ad astra: M&Ms to continue this discussion.

Last edited by artie505; 08/25/18 07:48 AM. Reason: Update

artie505 #49806 08/25/18 02:31 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

People all over the internet said that iMovie was free. They provided links.

Fewer people told the whole truth. It's free only if you have the latest OS. Those links don't lead to installers of old versions. They lead to updates to old versions. So, no, not really a great deal for everyone. According to Wikipedia, iMovie comes bundled with all new Macs and has been since the beginning. But I bought a used Mac, so it won't work for me. I suppose I can search ebay for an iLife disc.

As stated earlier, I was unable to download El Cap despite the fact that I'm running El Cap. I suppose I can search ebay for an El Cap disc, assuming they exist.

Apple has gotten quite good at forcing us to do things their way. Like the Kremlin in the 1930s.

deniro #49809 08/25/18 03:35 PM

Apple has gotten quite good at forcing us to do things their way. Like the Kremlin in the 1930s.

That’s not entirely true or fair. The fact that you bought a used Mac without the original software is not Apple’s fault, although I suppose you could blame Apple for the way it distributes its free software with new Macs, not that it’ll do you much good. However, you can be proactive (and I’d argue you should be) by downloading installers for each major new OS version as it appears, because that will herald the fact that the previous one will soon be no longer available for download; (combo)updaters remain available longer and are less of a problem. Even so, I’d keep copies of the latest versions of those as well.

AFAICT, the Kremlin didn’t have similar workarounds during most of the last century… shocked

alternaut moderator
alternaut #49811 08/25/18 04:04 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I was trying to be humorous. I don't even want to analyze whether there are in fact similarities.

I've only upgraded the OS once since I've had this computer. Where was the installer? I don't know. When I download programs outside the App store, I always keep the installers. I have a folder here on my hard drive marked "Installers". When I download "apps" from the App store, where are the installers?

I can fault Apple for changing the way they do things when it makes life harder for the customer and when no explanation is given. I can fault Apple for selling products and services that don't work. If there were competition, criticisms would be easier to dismiss. As it is, with little to no competition, Silicon Valley has people by the throat, and I have no qualms telling it like it is, even if that means exaggerating to reveal an inconvenient truth. The fact that I use this forum so often should indicate that I'm interested in solutions, too, not simply judging and complaining. I'm over the hill, now, and I don't have to rely on newspapers to tell me how it is. I have enough experience to see things change for the worse.

Windows users knew this before we did: "Free" on Planet Computer usually means there are strings attached. You can find games on Steam that advertise as "free" but really aren't. Don't cry umbrage at me for disliking deception. Let's also refrain from assuming that these changes come about naturally like changes in the weather. Someone caused them. They had reasons. During my recent years of using Windows, I've learned to be wary of freeware because it comes with the equivalent of a homing device which lets the mothership know what's on your hard drive and how you spend your time. It's not like buying a car or a book where it becomes your property to do with as you please. You don't get the software. You get a license to use the software.

To quote an old song, you're running to stand still. It doesn't take an MBA or a CS degree to figure out the path to wealth that's been used. Devise a system in which to function at its peak you are required to have the latest thing. Next, charge people for getting the latest thing. Then release the latest thing frequently while obsoleting yesterday's thing.

I digress...

I booted into the recovery partition to reinstall the OS. I never tried that before. You are taken to the App store, which has to approve you. I entered my Apple ID and password. Then when I tried to install, I got the message "That item is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Last edited by deniro; 08/25/18 04:12 PM.
deniro #49814 08/26/18 02:24 PM

People all over the internet said that iMovie was free.

As stated earlier, I was unable to download El Cap despite the fact that I'm running El Cap. I suppose I can search ebay for an El Cap disc, assuming they exist.

This is a long shot, but have you looked in your purchase tab in the App Store for iMovie?

I deleted it from my MBP, but the App Store knows I should have it and offers it to me, so perhaps you'll get lucky.

As for that El Cap d/l, it's apparently yours for the asking if you follow the link I posted while booted into OS X 10.6.8; it will look like you want to upgrade, and that should satisfy the App Store's d/l requirement. (I don't know if it's necessary, but I suggest that you first unmount any other bootable volumes so the App Store hasn't got access to info that might put the kibosh on the process.)

And finally, you can consider a Command-Option-R boot which will install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available. (How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support)

Note: Apple never issued El Cap discs, but you'll probably find any number of bootleg installers on Ebay.

artie505 #49818 08/26/18 06:02 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Right, no El Cap discs on ebay. I did read the Apple article. I did look under Purchased. No iMovie, but my purchased copy of Leopard is listed.

So there is a Mac OS under my Apple ID. Google will show you opinions about the "item not available" problem when trying to use the recovery partition. It has to do with a connection between your computer, your (purchased) OS, and your Apple ID.

I'll experiment.

deniro #49820 08/26/18 11:01 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I tried Command-R. There's no difference between that and holding down the option key to choose the recovery partition or any other partition. Both take me to the App store for "verification" and give me the "unavailable" message. Another failure.

More Google searching.

deniro #49821 08/26/18 11:09 PM

I tried Command-R.

The boot key combo I posted is command-option-R

artie505 #49825 08/27/18 04:27 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

That took me to internet recovery. I was given the option to install High Sierra (or Sierra, I forget) which I don't want to do.

deniro #49829 08/28/18 06:31 AM

That took me to internet recovery. I was given the option to install High Sierra (or Sierra, I forget) which I don't want to do.

Huh? I don't get it!

Originally Posted By: Apple Support
If you haven't already updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available. (Emphasis added)

I'm totally surprised that they didn't offer you an older OS; I certainly didn't expect Snowy, but I equally certainly expected El Cap at the least.

Are you sure you got that key combo right?

If you're really boxed out of Apple, though, you've still got three options (of which I'm aware) if you want that El Cap installer:
  1. Visit the App Store from a 10.6.8 installation.
  2. Take me up on my offer.
  3. Make a connection on Ebay.

artie505 #49832 08/28/18 06:03 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

It's not urgent. I may not need it all.

In a post above I mistyped. It should read "Lion". At the App store, "Lion" is listed under "Purchased" because I wanted to try upgrading to Snow Leopard on my Core 2 Duo but it was too slow. So I have copy of Lion that I never used. I have Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on disc and all the installers for upgrading to 10.6.8.

When I migrated from my Core 2 Duo, I made a disk image of the user account that I started on this i7. I got the Mac, was eager to play with it, and had some problems with migrating, so I delayed it. Then when I migrated, I used the migrated account as my default account, and that's one I'm using now. I had some doubts later about what to bring from my old computer. I didn't want to create software conflicts. Migration Assistant is a nice program but it ought to have more options and filters for transferring files. I should have put more thought into that, though I haven't noticed any conflicts. I know there are OS files from the old computer that I don't need, such as kexts, and I can also look at the modification dates of the files. I assume the OS knows what to activate and what to deactivate.

Last edited by deniro; 08/28/18 06:18 PM.
artie505 #49833 08/29/18 07:04 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I tried going to the App store from my old computer using 10.6.8. I got a message that my computer can't run El Cap., so no download.

deniro #49834 08/29/18 08:42 PM

I tried going to the App store from my old computer using 10.6.8. I got a message that my computer can't run El Cap., so no download.

That makes sense.

If you boot your old iMac into FireWire target disk mode, cable it up to your new iMac, and do an option boot so your new iMac is booted from it, i.e. Snowy, I think the App Store will give you the d/l, because your new iMac can run El Cap whereas your old one couldn't (I hope, anyhow. I don't remember which one it was.).

Thank you, Apple! tongue

artie505 #49835 08/30/18 12:34 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Can you clarify that?

deniro #49836 08/30/18 01:10 AM

Sure, but first, which exact model is you old iMac?

artie505 #49837 08/30/18 02:21 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

deniro #49839 08/30/18 08:48 AM

Sorry if this is overkill.

The link to the App Store in How to download OS X El Capitan is good only for Macs that are running either Snowy or Lion and support El Cap, and since your old iMac can't be upgraded past Lion, you were unable to d/l El Cap.

In order for you to get the El Cap d/l you've got to visit the App Store from your new, upgradeable iMac, but booted into either Snowy or Lion.

The easiest way for you to do that is to boot your old iMac running Snowy into FireWire target disk mode and cable it up to and option boot your new iMac from the Snowy volume (which will be identified as OS X 10.6.8).

I'm not sure if it's necessary, but after you've booted into Snowy I suggest that you go to /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and UNmount all volumes with any OS other than Snowy installed so the App Store can't learn anything from them that might prevent your d/l.

Under those circumstances, if Apple is to be believed, you should be able to d/l the El Cap installer, because it will appear to the App Store that you're running an upgradeable Mac with a pertinent version of OS X installed.

Hope that helps.

(I suggest that you take a look at Mactracker if you haven't already done so. I find its presentation considerably easier to follow than that of EveryMac, although I can't say which of them, if either, has got more, less, or better content.)

artie505 #49977 09/17/18 12:59 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

That worked.

deniro #49978 09/17/18 01:02 AM

cool !!!

artie505 #49989 09/18/18 04:24 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

A cruel irony occurred while running 10.6.8 on my new Mac via Target mode. I didn't have the font jaggies that I had when running 10.6.8 on my Duo or when running 10.11 on my new Quad. Can't win, right?

I'm still tweaking fonts, looking for ways to improve the system font, considering buying one except that when you buy fonts you don't get the whole family. You have to buy each member individually. Regardless, I'm inclined to think that Apple fonts will work better on the Mac than any third party font. At the moment I set Tinker Tool to Avenir Light, a change from Helvetica Neue Light. I plan to continue experimenting. The trick is to find one thin enough to avoid the jaggies but thick enough to be readable.

I don't know anything about buying fonts. Maybe someone here could advise me on that. Or on free fonts, which I find usually to be crap.

Last edited by deniro; 09/18/18 04:25 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard