Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Google Home Mini & Internet Speeds
#49725 08/11/18 04:56 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Just wondering.

For years, I have been using Time Capsule/Time Machine to backup my MBPro by Wi-Fi. Yesterday, however, the backup time "suddenly" has become painfully slow (e.g. 26 minutes for 60mb).

The ONLY thing I can think of that has changed is that the day before yesterday I added a GOODLE HOME MINI to share the Wi-Fi in my home. Does it make sense that doing so has now caused the backup time needed for Time Machine to increase so dramatically?

Many thanks,
MG2009
Re: Google Home Mini & Internet Speeds
MG2009 #49726 08/11/18 05:29 PM

Check for two things....

DHCP IP address conflicts.

Network traffic loading when the Google Home Mini is active.

A reasonable indicator of network saturation is an increase in ping times on your LAN.....i.e., if normal ping times from your computer to your router are in the vicinity of 5 to 8 ms, and you then find MUCH longer ping times when trying to do your Time Machine wireless backup, that would tell me that your network is saturated.

If you have a dual band simultaneous WiFi router/access point, try connecting the Google Home Mini to the opposite band that the computer is connected to.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #49728 08/11/18 05:57 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

RE: If you have a dual band simultaneous WiFi router/access point, try connecting the Google Home Mini to the opposite band that the computer is connected to.

------------------------------------

You may be onto something there. grin

I have both 2.4 and 5. All gadgets are set to default to 5G - except the printer is set to 2.4 (which is rarely used).

I will play around and report back.

UPDATE : BINGO

Using the Google Home App, I "unlinked" the MINI from 5G and added it to the 2.4G so that only the desktop, laptop and iPad use 5G by default, when on.

The printer and MINI are linked to the 2.4G network. (I can temporarily switch to 2.4 whenever I want to print from desktop or laptop wirelessly through Wi-Fi.)

Backing up with Time Machine (on 5G) has returned to its usual speed.

P.S. I will chime in again if these changes don't "stick." wink

MG2009 #49731 08/11/18 08:18 PM

Great news!

Remember, your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks (and ethernet too) are linked, so you shouldn't need to do any juggling when you print....

(edited to add ethernet...)

Last edited by MacManiac; 08/11/18 08:22 PM.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #49748 08/14/18 05:27 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: " . . . so you shouldn't need to do any juggling when you print."

-----------------

You know, I would have thought so, too. However, when I try to print through 5G Wi-Fi, I get the message that "the printer is not connected." I switch to 2.4 and the printer is instantly found.

P.S. The printer is an HP PSC 1410 from 2006, so it may have some limitations (although the drivers for it are the latest versions).

MG2009 #49749 08/14/18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
You know, I would have thought so, too. However, when I try to print through 5G Wi-Fi, I get the message that "the printer is not connected." I switch to 2.4 and the printer is instantly found.

Assuming your Time Capsule is creating both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands everything connected to the network on either band or through ethernet SHOULD be available to everything else.

Can your Mac print to that printer from either band? If the answer is...
  • YES then the culprit is the Google Home Mini and this is an issue for Google technical support
  • NO reboot your Time Capsule (unplug the power wait several seconds and reconnect the power.)and see if that helps

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49752 08/15/18 01:59 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

i.e. However, when I try to print through 5G Wi-Fi, I get the message that "the printer is not connected." I switch to 2.4 and the printer is instantly found.

So, the short answer is "no" when trying to use "either" band.

Just thought of something else:

I know that the cable box/router has both the 2.4 and 5.0 bands. However, I am only presuming that the Time Capsule is set up to access to either/both bands.

Using AIRPORT UTILITY, under Edit/Wireless/Wireless Options, there appears to be two bands:

1. Wireless Network Name is titled 2.4

2. Enable Guest Network is titled 5.0

How can I confirm that the Time Capsule is set up to access/use both bands? Could it be that the GUEST NETWORK is misnamed and really only a second 2.4?

MG2009 #49759 08/15/18 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
Using AIRPORT UTILITY, under Edit/Wireless/Wireless Options, there appears to be two bands:

1. Wireless Network Name is titled 2.4

2. Enable Guest Network is titled 5.0

How can I confirm that the Time Capsule is set up to access/use both bands? Could it be that the GUEST NETWORK is misnamed and really only a second 2.4?

BINGO!

5 GHz is configured as the "Guest" Network. Guest network by definition ONLY has access to the Internet but does NOT have access to any devices on your LAN (Local Area Network). There is an easy fix for your problem
  • Open Airport Utility, select your Time Capsule, and click on Edit
  • Click on the "Wireless" tab
  • you should now see a screen like this.
    1. For the Wireless network name enter 2.4 GHz.
    2. For the Guest Network name enter Guest
  • Click on Wireless Options
  • YOu should now see a screen like this
    1. Be sure the box labeled 5GHz network name is checked
    2. Name this network 5GHz (it will pick up the password from the 2.4GHz network)
    3. Leave the channel settings on automatic (If you run into problems I can walk you through the process for picking channels that have the least interference.)
    4. If you want a guest network check the box labeled Enabler Guest Network, name it Guest, and choose a unique password
    5. Click Save
  • That will put you back on the Wireless screen
  • Click Update.
  • Wait until your Time Capsule has been updated, has rebooted, and reappears on the Airport Utility screen.
You may have to reconfigure some of your devices, but all devices on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz should be able to communicate with one another.

Hopefully these instructions are at least as clear as mud smile

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49760 08/15/18 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Click on the "Wireless" tab [*]you should now see a screen like this.

I don't think that link is the one you intended to post.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #49761 08/16/18 03:58 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Big Thank You!

I followed your written directions - which were very clear, BTW - even without the screenshot links. wink

From either the MBPro or the iMAC desktop, I can now print through Airport without having to MANUALLY select 2.4 as before. Whichever band I am on at the moment will (wirelessly) run the printer. Sweet.

Also, as you explained, the printer will not run wirelessly on my GUEST network since this configuration will only provide an internet connection for guests (which is perfect).

Many thanks,
MG2009

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard