for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wired or Wireless, that is the question
#49712 08/11/18 04:30 AM
OP Offline

I have a weird question. It's kind of a Tivo question but also an internet question. My Tivo downloads shows and needs a wireless adaptor (usually) or a powerline to make a connection to do this.

Ordinarily, my Smart TV connects wirelessly to the internet. But now I have the power lines attached to the router and to my TV to accommodate my Tivo.

I am trying to follow directions regarding something with my Firestick. There are instructions for wired and instructions for wireless connections regarding the TV which are different.

Would you say that now that the powerline is attached, that it is now a wired connection? I have a question into the Tivo community, too, but so far haven't gotten a straight answer.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Wired or Wireless, that is the question
plantsower #49713 08/11/18 07:50 AM

The wired/wireless distinction can often have to do with getting a network connection over ethernet cable or over Wi-Fi.
Other signals can also be wired or wireless. It needs to be specified to be clear to others. E.g. antenna vs. coax cable for a TV signal.
I am confused by your use of the word ‘power line’. All electrical equipment needs electrical power. Either AC or DC, or USB, or batteries (or in very special circumstances even ethernet or HDMI). Wireless power would then be the batteries, but that is a weird way of saying that.

In regular conversational speech, the power cord doesn't make the device “wired,” as wired/wireless designation points to something else than power.

plantsower #49714 08/11/18 02:24 PM

Re: Would you say that now that the powerline is attached, that it is now a wired connection?

------------------

To be honest, your description is not very clear which may be why you have not received a response from the Tivo community. blush

If by "powerline" you mean CABLE, then it looks like you have a WIRED setup at the moment . . . Cable line (source) into the router, then two cables from the router - one to the Tivo and the other to the TV. It seems you no longer have a signal running from the Tivo to the TV (either wired or wireless) which is why you cannot view/record programs from the Tivo to the TV. In short, the Tivo and the TV are no longer talking to to each other.

If you are able to watch TV with the router turned on BUT the Tivo turned off, then it would appear that the TV is getting its signal through the cable running from the router to the TV (and not the signal from the Tivo). Therefore, you need to (re)connect the Tivo to the TV - either wirelessly or with a cable. Disconnect the cable running from the TV to the router and see if you can reconnect the TV to the Tivo - either (1) directly with a cable from the Tivo to the TV or (2) wirelessly from the Tivo to the TV. If using cables, be sure to use an OUTPUT jack from the Tivo to an INPUT jack on the TV. Sounds obvious, but sometimes the mixup is just that simple.

My guess would be that Number (2) is likely the wireless setup you had before you changed the "powerlines" around . . . in essence, disconnecting the TV from the Tivo, but connecting the cable signal (a) from the router to the TV and (b) from the router to the Tivo

Urquhart #49715 08/11/18 03:24 PM
OP Offline

Here is what I am talking about. After having read their description here, they said "wired" so that's probably the answer to my question. But I am not 100% sure. It does say ethernet adapter but I am not using my ethernet cord so that is why I was unsure. One is plugged into the device (in my case the smart TV) and one is plugged into the router. Bother are plugged into the wall. Power Line

Originally Posted By: Urquhart
The wired/wireless distinction can often have to do with getting a network connection over ethernet cable or over Wi-Fi.
Other signals can also be wired or wireless. It needs to be specified to be clear to others. E.g. antenna vs. coax cable for a TV signal.
I am confused by your use of the word ‘power line’. All electrical equipment needs electrical power. Either AC or DC, or USB, or batteries (or in very special circumstances even ethernet or HDMI). Wireless power would then be the batteries, but that is a weird way of saying that.

In regular conversational speech, the power cord doesn't make the device “wired,” as wired/wireless designation points to something else than power.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

MG2009 #49716 08/11/18 03:27 PM
OP Offline

I never disconnected the TV from the Tivo. I use the power line adaptors to make the Tivo download the programs everyday. One is connected to the Tivo and the other is connected to the router. The Tivo is connected to the TV. People use these for their computers, too.

Here is what I am talking about. After having read their description here, they said "wired" so that's probably the answer to my question. But I am not 100% sure. It does say ethernet adapter but I am not using my ethernet cord so that is why I was unsure. One is plugged into the device (in my case the smart TV) and one is plugged into the router. Bother are plugged into the wall. Power Line

Originally Posted By: MG2009
Re: Would you say that now that the powerline is attached, that it is now a wired connection?

------------------

To be honest, your description is not very clear which may be why you have not received a response from the Tivo community. blush

If by "powerline" you mean CABLE, then it looks like you have a WIRED setup at the moment . . . Cable line (source) into the router, then two cables from the router - one to the Tivo and the other to the TV. It seems you no longer have a signal running from the Tivo to the TV (either wired or wireless) which is why you cannot view/record programs from the Tivo to the TV. In short, the Tivo and the TV are no longer talking to to each other.

If you are able to watch TV with the router turned on BUT the Tivo turned off, then it would appear that the TV is getting its signal through the cable running from the router to the TV (and not the signal from the Tivo). Therefore, you need to (re)connect the Tivo to the TV - either wirelessly or with a cable. Disconnect the cable running from the TV to the router and see if you can reconnect the TV to the Tivo - either (1) directly with a cable from the Tivo to the TV or (2) wirelessly from the Tivo to the TV. If using cables, be sure to use an OUTPUT jack from the Tivo to an INPUT jack on the TV. Sounds obvious, but sometimes the mixup is just that simple.

My guess would be that Number (2) is likely the wireless setup you had before you changed the "powerlines" around . . . in essence, disconnecting the TV from the Tivo, but connecting the cable signal (a) from the router to the TV and (b) from the router to the Tivo

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49718 08/11/18 03:53 PM

The device you pictured that is plugged into the power socket is in fact ethernet over power connection that uses the home electrical system to carry an ethernet signal. Between that device and your TIVO there should be an ethernet cable connection.

In any case your system is definitely WIRED not WiFi.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #49719 08/11/18 03:56 PM

I use a "powerline" connection for one of our printers, and it is considered an ethernet connection, hence wired.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #49720 08/11/18 04:02 PM
OP Offline

The powerline adaptor is plugged into the wall and into the Tivo. The Firestick is plugged into a power strip and into the HDMI input into my TV. They are separate. So, now I am assuming that because the TV is hooked to the power adaptor for my Tivo, the Firestick is inadvertently considered wired. If I wasn't using the power line adaptor, I would know that it was wireless for sure.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The device you pictured that is plugged into the power socket is in fact ethernet over power connection that uses the home electrical system to carry an ethernet signal. Between that device and your TIVO there should be an ethernet cable connection.

In any case your system is definitely WIRED not WiFi.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Ira L #49721 08/11/18 04:06 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Ira. I guess my confusion comes from the fact that the Firestick isn't connected to the power adaptor, the Tivo and TV are. So I couldn't figure out if it was a separate entity and used wirelessly because it is not connected to the power adaptor per se. It is just attached to the TV HDMI input and plugged into a power strip. I didn't know if that would be considered independent of the rest and thus wireless.

Originally Posted By: Ira L
I use a "powerline" connection for one of our printers, and it is considered an ethernet connection, hence wired.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Urquhart #49722 08/11/18 04:08 PM
OP Offline

Sorry about that. I should have called it a power line adaptor. I just never call it that. We are also hooked up to an OTA antenna, no cable or satellite.

Originally Posted By: Urquhart

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49723 08/11/18 04:20 PM

Yikes. This is beyond me. I just presumed you had cable or satellite. I have no idea how an antenna would work in this situation. blush

A couple of links (you may have already discovered) :

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-powerline-adapter-1846813
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/network-wifi/what-is-powerline-3491484/

MG2009 #49724 08/11/18 04:36 PM
OP Offline

The antenna actually is a non issue. I will look at your links. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: MG2009
Yikes. This is beyond me. I just presumed you had cable or satellite. I have no idea how an antenna would work in this situation. blush

A couple of links (you may have already discovered) :

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-powerline-adapter-1846813
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/network-wifi/what-is-powerline-3491484/

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard