for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Disappearing "not saved" passwords
#49617 08/01/18 10:31 AM
OP Online

I'm not sure if this is a Safari or keychain issue.

Periodically, my "Passwords Never Saved" items disappear from both Safari > Prefs > Passwords and my keychain while my "Saved Passwords" items remain intact. This has happened in a few different versions of both macOS and Safari.

I'm not running any software or Safari extensions that are even remotely connected to passwords.

Anybody else?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Disappearing "not saved" passwords
artie505 #49620 08/01/18 04:34 PM

Maybe there is an internal limit on how many can be displayed. Since they are never saved, a coder may have thought you don't need them forever. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #49625 08/01/18 06:52 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Maybe there is an internal limit on how many can be displayed. Since they are never saved, a coder may have thought you don't need them forever. crazy

Well, I've only got 4 of them, and they've been consistent for years. while their disappearing act is relatively new.

Hmmm... I wonder if this is similar to FTM's password info requiring renewal every month?

I'm going to keep track of timing from now on.

Update: I thought I started a thread about this same topic sometime in the past, and I searched to see when, but I've been unable to locate it if it actually exists.

Last edited by artie505; 08/01/18 07:03 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49627 08/01/18 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hmmm... I wonder if this is similar to FTM's password info requiring renewal every month?

The FTM logon is contained in a cookie (ie. Client Side Storage) and that cookie is programmed to expire in a month. The W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) sets the maximum lifespan of a cookie at one year, so if a logon is carried by a cookie it will have to be renewed at least once a year, but it appears more and more sites are setting a shorter cookie expiration time.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49631 08/02/18 07:49 AM
OP Online

I was thinking that since "Not Remembered" passwords may/are likely to be for important websites, Apple may have decided to forget them periodically as a subtle suggestion to us to change them.

It seems far-fetched, but only those particular items disappearing is odd enough that anything's possible.

I guess a call to AppleCare is in order.

Re: Disappearing "Never Saved" passwords
artie505 #49638 08/03/18 06:44 AM
OP Online

Well, the first Apple tech called me, had trouble understanding my problem, put me on hold, lost me, and didn't bother to call me back.

The second tech had even more trouble understanding my problem and kicked me upstairs to a Senior Adviser who, when he finally understood it, did some research and advised me that what I've experienced is expected behavior that Apple began implementing in Sierra and fully implemented in High Sierra.

Apparently, there's a cookie somewhere that periodically causes the "Never Saved" info in Safari > Prefs > Passwords and your keychain to be wiped, the purpose of the exercise being to remind you that your password isn't saved and give you a new opportunity to save it.

Based on what I was told, everyone who has "Never Saved" passwords should be experiencing what I've reported.

At any rate, it's no real bother...just adds an extra click to our lives every once in a while.

(Note: I LOVE Apple's new tech support procedure that enables you to get a callback rather than wait on hold...IF you can navigate the winding road to the option.)

artie505 #49639 08/03/18 08:07 AM

Periodically, my "Passwords Never Saved" items disappear from both Safari > Prefs > Passwords and my keychain while my "Saved Passwords" items remain intact.

Okay….the penny just dropped. I almost never look in “Safari > Prefs > Passwords” so wasn’t certain about the issue. (although I just looked and realize it could use a bit of tidying)

Based on what I was told, everyone who has "Never Saved" passwords should be experiencing what I've reported.

Which, I assume, is the dialogue box that pops up asking if I want to save the password….and there are sites , like banking, for which I click “Never Save”. I have wondered why Apple doesn’t just take my word for it that I don’t want to save a record of them on my drive, and now I know…..they’re sure they know my wishes better than me.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #49764 08/17/18 09:14 AM
OP Online

Just happened again after little more than 2 weeks.

If it really is planned, that seems like an unreasonably short period of time between events.

artie505 #49924 09/09/18 04:26 PM
OP Online

And AGAIN! AAARGH!!!

This can't be by Apple's design; it's not regular.

artie505 #49950 09/13/18 04:04 PM

I don't ever recall something I've told it to "never save" having come back up.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #49951 09/13/18 04:26 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

Nor, judging by the response to this thread, has anyone else! (ryck, maybe?) confused

Nor can I even begin to guess what's causing it.

AAARGH!

Guess I'll give AppleCare another hard time...sooner or later...after all, it's really no more than a few annoying clicks every now and again.

artie505 #49954 09/14/18 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

Nor, judging by the response to this thread, has anyone else! (ryck, maybe?) confused

Yup. Was happening all the time although I got to a point where I just didn't pay attention.....just re-click and move along. However, now that you re-raise the issue vis-a-vis me, I now uncertain when it last happened. I wonder if it's gone away. I'll keep an eye out.

Last edited by ryck; 09/14/18 12:50 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #50227 10/16/18 06:19 AM
OP Online

It's been more than a month since the last occurrence, so I'll go out on a limb and guess that Safari 12 has fixed whatever was wrong.

Originally Posted By: artie
The second tech had even more trouble understanding my problem and kicked me upstairs to a Senior Adviser who, when he finally understood it, did some research and advised me that what I've experienced is expected behavior that Apple began implementing in Sierra and fully implemented in High Sierra.

Apparently, there's a cookie somewhere that periodically causes the "Never Saved" info in Safari > Prefs > Passwords and your keychain to be wiped, the purpose of the exercise being to remind you that your password isn't saved and give you a new opportunity to save it.

Well, so much for that; it never did make much sense, anyhow! crazy

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard