FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: More Adventures in MacOS — this time in the Mojave
artie505 #50455 11/09/18 05:39 PM

Thanks for that.

Adding to the mix: Etresoft advises to download EtreCheckPro (directly from the etrecheck.com website) instead.
I was under the impression that that option came with a cost for purchase (license). I'll try that first to see what gives.

grelber #50456 11/09/18 06:02 PM

I looked at etrecheck.com, and it directed me to the App Store.

The basic d/l is free; there's an in-app option to purchase advanced features for Ca $20+.

The basic d/l is the same functionality as you've got now (which I'm still using because I hate the new GUI).

If you use MacUpdate, d/l from EtreCheck Pro 5.0.7. They offer a d/l option on their search page, but I'd be wary of it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50457 11/09/18 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I looked at etrecheck.com, and it directed me to the App Store.

That's true for EtreCheck 5, but not for EtreCheckPro (5.0.7).

grelber #50458 11/09/18 08:52 PM
OP Offline

I am running EtreCheck Pro 5.0.7 and I am trying to recall how I got it. Etrecheck.com no longer offers a direct download and as Artie505 says the web site directs you to the App Store which has EtreCheck 5.0.1.

If memory serves, I originally downloaded EtreCheck directly from the developer when it was not available though the App Store. Thanks to the ubiquitous "check for updates" feature I went through several updates/upgrades in the form of direct downloads from the publisher, until at one point an upgrade to Etrecheck Pro was offered and I took it — for a price. EtreCheck Pro still checks for updates each time it is opened and eventually migrated from version 5 to 5.0.7.

I am still trying to determine what the path is for new users to obtain EtreCheck Pro????? confused ADDENDA for $13.95 you can purchase some "power user features" but that still does not get you all the way to the Pro version, crazy

NOTES:
  1. There are functions and features in EtreCheck 5.0.1 that are only available after a $9.99 in-app purchase.
  2. Sandboxing prevents EtreCheck 5.0.1 from accessing all the data about all the files.
  3. EtreCheck Pro in addition to some additional in-depth analytical features has some "may I help you correct that" features as well.
  4. EtreCheck Pro 5.0.7 requires the user to grant full disk access to EtreCheck Pro in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy in order to get around the sandbox and perform all of its checks. This alone may be the reason EtreCheck Pro is not available through the App Store. Never the less IMHO EtreCheck Pro is worth the price.
  5. Grelber, FWIW I share your aversion to software aggregators and limit my downloads to the App Store or the developer's web site.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/09/18 09:05 PM. Reason: ADDENDA

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50459 11/10/18 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I am running EtreCheck Pro 5.0.7 and I am trying to recall how I got it. Etrecheck.com no longer offers a direct download and as Artie505 says the web site directs you to the App Store which has EtreCheck 5.0.1.

If memory serves, I originally downloaded EtreCheck directly from the developer when it was not available though the App Store. Thanks to the ubiquitous "check for updates" feature I went through several updates/upgrades in the form of direct downloads from the publisher, until at one point an upgrade to Etrecheck Pro was offered and I took it — for a price. EtreCheck Pro still checks for updates each time it is opened and eventually migrated from version 5 to 5.0.7.

I am still trying to determine what the path is for new users to obtain EtreCheck Pro?????

As I noted, I queried the developer directly:
"I tried both your sites (etresoft.com and etrecheck.com) in order to download EtreCheck 5. Both cases redirect to Apple's App Store. I do not have access to the App Store (because of lack of broadband/high-speed internet access). Any suggestions as to how I might download EtreCheck 5 safely off the internet?"

The developer's response was:
"You can download EtreCheckPro instead. Here is the download link: https://etrecheck.com/details".

It does. So I did.

The downside is that for most of the features of version 5.0.7, it is necessary to make an in-app purchase of a so-called Power User package (which is $23 CAD, which is ca $17.50 USD vs joemikeb's quote of $13.95 USD).

Under the circumstances, for my purposes EtreCheck 3 and Etrecheck 4 suffice. So I'll stick with those.

joemikeb #50460 11/10/18 09:22 AM

• EtreCheck Pro, current version 5.0.7 (Quote from "here" link: EtreCheckPro: Full powered. Up-to-date.), is available directly from EC, here, as well as from MacUpdate.
  • The App Store is currently offering EtreCheck 5.0.2. (Quote from "here" link: EtreCheck: Sandboxed. Probably an old version.)
  • In order to get anything more than the most basic report from v 5.0.7 you've got to buy the Power User Package, which I guess is what gives you full "Pro" capability. (The PUP is required to access the Hardware, System, Storage, Network, Software , and Performance tabs of a v 5.0.7 report.)
  • Although a v 5.0.7 report provides more info than one from v 3.4.6 which grelber and I are running, the latter actually provides free functionality that's part of PUP in v 5.0.7. (The red text in this v 3.4.6 report isn't visible in a v 5.0.7 report.)
(Note: The only d/l aggregator I use is MacUpdate; they've cleaned up their act, and after years of use I've got complete faith in them. True that a couple of their apps were hacked a while back, but it was an isolated incident to which developers' sites are also vulnerable.)

(We crossed.)

Last edited by artie505; 11/10/18 09:46 AM. Reason: Expand

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard