FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
More Adventures in MacOS — this time in the Mojave
#49238 06/27/18 11:19 PM
OP Online

Mojave (MacOS 10.14) is installed on my MacBook Pro and so far it is running perfectly. The 5.67GB download took over an hour, but I suspect the beta download server was hammered. Installation went smoothly except there was a freeze during the initial setup and I had to reboot. The change that really smacks you in the face is dark mode and IMHO it is GORGEOUS. The desktop picture of a sand dune that changes through the day is neat, but no where near as striking. I haven't had time to do much experimentation yet but there is at least some Good News and some maybe not so good…

GOOD NEWS: for all of you clinging to beloved 32 bit applications they should still run in Mojave.

BAD NEWS: based on the warning messages when launching 32 bit applications Mojave will unquestionably be the last MacOS to run 32 bit applications. Now we have a definite hammer to hold over the head of those developers who have been dragging their feet on updates.

ASIDE: I know there are at least a few developers, who are taking advantage of the necessity to go to 64 bit and starting over with a clean sheet, which is almost always for everyone's good. (I have had to look back at some of my earlier code and wanted to somehow deny any relationship with it.)

NOTE: I have had a couple of minor 64 bit applications crash reliably every time I attempt to open them but that is what betas are supposed to ferret out.

DISAPPOINTMENTS: Time Machine is still limited to drives formatted MacOS extended (Journaled) — at least for now.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: More Adventures in MacOS — this time in the Mojave
joemikeb #49240 06/27/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The change that really smacks you in the face is dark mode and IMHO it is GORGEOUS.

What's the big deal?! I can't understand the hype behind this feature. Once I set my screen brightness, I have never changed it — day night, night day — it's all the same.
So, if there's something I'm missing which would also extend my healthy lifespan by a couple decades, let me know.

grelber #49246 06/28/18 01:43 PM
OP Online

Dark mode will not extend your life span or mine. Neither does it have anything to do with screen brightness. It shifts from a light background with dark text to a dark background with light text as in this sample of the General preference pane in Mojave. To my eyes the darker background causes less eyestrain and the light content really pops. I won't swear to this yet, but dark mode also seems to be far more eye friendly when working in bright sunlight. The downside is that for the moment only Apple apps such as Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are dark mode capable. Recently several apps have instituted a dark mode on their own but that does not mean they have tapped into Apple's dark mode API. From the response of the developers at WWDC I suspect that will be appearing in new apps and upgrades very soon.

Did I mention dark mode saves battery power on laptops?

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/28/18 01:52 PM. Reason: battery

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49248 06/28/18 04:03 PM

Dumb Question (?) : How does one know if they are running 32-bit or 64-bit applications?

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #49250 06/28/18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
Dumb Question (?) : How does one know if they are running 32-bit or 64-bit applications?
Go to the Apple menu, click About This Mac, and then click System Report. Expand the Software triangle and then click Applications. It will take several minutes to load everything so be patient. Then, you'll be able to see which apps are 64 bit and which are not.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #49251 06/28/18 04:27 PM

Followed the directions and it looks like 95% of what I have is 64-bit.

Many thanks,
MG2009
joemikeb #49252 06/28/18 05:02 PM

GOOD NEWS: for all of you clinging to beloved 32 bit applications they should still run in Mojave.
By any chance, are you running Entourage 2008? That's a 32-bit app that runs OK in High Sierra (with some minor glitches) and I would like to continue using it.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
MG2009 #49261 06/29/18 12:25 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: MG2009
Followed the directions and it looks like 95% of what I have is 64-bit.

Given developers have had at least two years warning already, the only thing that should be surprising about that is that you still have 5% that have not been updated. Look carefully at those apps and see how long it has been since they were last updated. It may well be the app is no longer actively supported and you need to start looking for a replacement.

Or, as in the case, with the apps that support my scanner. When I contacted the manufacturer about their plans for a 64bit update their response was basically, "Huh?" Turns out they were unaware of any need for an upgrade as they are 100% PC in house and had allowed the contract with the third party software house that developed the software for Mac to lapse and had not heard of the upcoming 64bit only support. They were grateful for my heads up and asked if I knew of anyone who might be interested in the project.

App Store apps are safe as Apple no longer accepts Apps unless they are 64 bit and actively supported. NOTE: There are one or two Apple Apps in High Sierra that are still 32 bit. Those are replaced with 64 bit versions by the Mojave installer.

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #49262 06/29/18 12:34 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
By any chance, are you running Entourage 2008? That's a 32-bit app that runs OK in High Sierra (with some minor glitches) and I would like to continue using it.

I have no Apple software but Entourage will probably continue to work in Mojave but definitely not its successor. Given it is an EOL product it won't ever b fixed either.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: The security experts are now recommending all email and texts should be end to end encrypted. We may all be looking for new email and messaging clients.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49263 06/29/18 01:39 PM

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: The security experts are now recommending all email and texts should be end to end encrypted. We may all be looking for new email and messaging clients.

How to get free, built-in end-to-end encryption for your email:

1: browse here and sign up. you don't have to provide your real name but you might want to. https://secure.comodo.com/products/frontpage?area=SecureEmailCertificate

2; you will receive an email in a few minutes. click the Collect url

3. download the certificate.

4. Collect.p7s will download and SHOULD automatically go into your user's keychain under Certificates. You can store the p7s file in something secure or you can throw it away. you have it in your keychain, and you don't want ANYONE to have access to that file or they could impersonate you in email. I store my certificates in an encrypted disk image, along with my password list and license keys.

5. quit and relaunch your email client (mac mail)

6. compose a new email message. if you have more than one email account configured, select the email account that you entered for the certificate

7. you will now see two new buttons near the upper right of the email. an unlocked (and grey) padlock and a blue selected check.

the blue check indicates the email will be signed. you can click it to unselect it and not sign the email. users receiving your email that are not signature-aware will show the signature as an attachment and it may confuse them. (can you say "Windows Users"?) Signing is the default action for emails that you have a certificate for.

Users with signature-aware email clients will show the email received as signed, and will automatically import your public key into their keychain. they can then reply to that email (or make a new one to that address) and they will see the padlock also, but this time it will be enabled. if they select it, the email will be encrypted and only you will be able to read it. they DO NOT have to apply for an email certificate to send you encrypted email, but if you then try to reply to them, you won't have the padlock available because you don't have a public key from them.

If the user already has done this and has a key, when they reply (whether or not it's encrypted) you will receive their public key and can then reply back to them with the padlock locked.

Mac OS Mail makes this process SOOOOOO easy. Even compared to add-on packages like PGP, this is just effortless and built-in.

your certificate will only last one year, you have to re-apply for it again after that. I think I'm on certificate number 12 or so. My first few were from Thawte, and when they stopped offering free personal certs for email I switched to commodo. I don't know if it's possible or easy to find that sign-up link from their main page, they may have made it a bit hard to get to since it's free. I think you can pay for a longer (3 or 10 year?) certificate from them if you'd rather.

IN THEORY, they don't keep your private key after you collect it, so IN THEORY nobody can read stuff you encrypt. But that all depends on whether or not you trust Comodo.

I had to use this a few years ago at a place I worked because they required us to email our mileage claims signed. This makes it impossible to argue over mileage being altered by either party, since only the employee could have sent the email, and the employer could not have altered it.

After the first time you send someone a signed email, mac mail will verify future email signatures. Unsigned emails I think are not flagged. However, if the email is signed, and the signature does not match, it will pop a notice. New signatures will NOT replace existing ones unless they have expired. It's not very aggressive this way, but it does work. It's more intended for encryption than for aggressive signing.

Sometimes geeks will get together in person for a "key signing party" aka a key exchange, where everyone has their flash drives and is handing out copies of their public key to each member of the group. Getting a key from someone via email is insecure by design, as you don't know for certain that's the person you think it is, unlike meeting them in person. This method of automatically adding keys the first time you see them just being hopeful that the first time you interact with them you can trust them to be who you think they are, which is good enough for most people.

Mac Mail WILL NOT WARN YOU if your certificate expires, it will just stop signing emails. You have to keep tabs on this and remember to renew your certificate (get a new one really) every year.

Lastly, if you want to see what the encryption checkbox looks like immediately, just try to send an email to yourself. As soon as you enter yourself on the TO line, the blue encrypt check will enable and select because of course you have your own public key in your keychain. (it's always included with the p7s private key in the certificate)

(MFIF may want to consider making this process a Sticky somewhere)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
joemikeb #49272 06/29/18 11:37 PM
OP Online

Most of my time with Mojave so far has been confined to testing my critical applications to be sure they run under Mojave. So far the only one that does not is Evernote (and of course I use it several times every day)*. I have also been trying out the crossovers from iOS: Home, Stocks, & Voice Memos.

HOME: I have a lot of Homekit enabled gadgets including door locks, Video Doorbell, Apple TVs, light switches, lamp controllers, wall plugs, light bulbs, lawn sprinkler, etc. and IMHO Home is long overdue on MacOS. It took a while for Mojave Home to populate with all of the devices, but populate it did with no input on my part. Apparently getting its settings from my iOS devices via iCloud. It didn't get the photos I used to illustrate the various rooms, but all of the devices, scenes, and automation routines came through nicely. It looks and works pretty much the way the Home app works on my iPad and that is very good.

STOCKS: has been available on iOS for a long time. Like HOME it populated itself based on what I had on my iOS devices but it is new and improved on iOS 12 and that carries over to Mojave. I don't spend a lot of time following the market, but the improvements may induce me to watch a bit more closely. It is well done.

VOICE MEMOS: There is no reason voice memos won't work as well on MacOS as on iOS and being able to share those across devices makes all kinds of sense to me. I don't know how much I will use it — that remains to be seen heard — but I suspect my wife, who is more orally oriented than I (as a minister she did a lot of preaching to me and her congregation) will ver likely love it!

NEWS: is not new to MacOS but this iteration feels new and a LOT better to me. Apple is spending a lot of time, money, and effort curating content and perfecting the app. I have never been a fan of News Reader apps but this may change the way I get the bulk of my news. Only time can tell, but so far I am impressed.

FOOTNOTES:

* Apparently it takes a beta to work with a beta: Evernote 7.3 beta 1 does work with Mojave, but you have to know where and how to find it and Evernote does not make that obvious. Betas are available through Evernote itself, but in this case the app would not stay open long enough to check for availability. 🙄 I had to launch the Evernote beta three times before it stabilized but now it appears to be working as it should.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/30/18 04:32 PM. Reason: Add footnote

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49377 07/06/18 05:42 PM

I don't see how a dark background is better, not worse, for your eyes. I see web sites and software doing this, too. Why are we returning to 1980?

deniro #49385 07/06/18 08:41 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dinero
Why are we returning to 1980?

Market demand. It is an option and certainly you do not have to choose it.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49386 07/06/18 10:09 PM
OP Online

THIS IS A CHANGE

After years of getting MacOS updates via the App Store there is a change in Mojave. Updating MacOS has moved from the App Store to System Preferences > Software Update and optionally (don't panic all you late adopters) can be set to Automatically keep my Mac up to date. You have the choice of…
  • checking for updates
  • downloading new updates when available
  • install MacOS updates
  • install app updates from the app store
  • install system data files and security updates
For the betas this is the ONLY update source for Mojave. I don't know if combo updates will be available, and I suspect OS updates will not appear in the App Store but only time will tell about that.

An FYI to those of you who eschew the use of iOS devices this is the way iOS devices have always received their OS updates and although automatic app updates have been available for a while in iOS the two processes and App Stores are now pretty much the same. NOTE it appears both MacOS and iOS will attempt to perform the actual installation late at night if possible.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/07/18 12:45 PM. Reason: formatting

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49408 07/10/18 05:05 PM
OP Online

LIFE IN THE STACKS

Another new feature in Mojave is desktop Stacks. Desktop Stacks are a variant of stacks in the Dock. Stacks are activated from the View menu in Finder and the rest is automatic. When desktop Stacks are switched on all the files on your desktop of a particular type are moved to a stack containing all the files of that type. For example when I turned it on I immediately had two stacks appear one labeled PDF Documents and the other Images. Images includes a host of different image formats including HEIF, JPG, GIF, etc. Unlike Dock Stacks the Desktop variant does not include folders and as far as I have been able to determine there is no way to customize the contents or name. Stacks certainly clean up a cluttered desktop in a hurry. Not necessarily a show stopper, but useful.

Personally I like Stacks because it cuts down on visual clutter and I have more than enough of that on my physical desktop. My wife on the other hand puts everything on her computer desktop and likes it that way. I'll give her credit — she knows where everything is and I often have to resort to Spotlight.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49507 07/18/18 03:34 PM
OP Online

SNAPSHOTS

Snapshots — a feature of APFS — have been available since High Sierra, but there has been no convenient way to use them. But Michael Bombich has added a feature to Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1 that makes it a first class Snapshot manager. So what the H____ is a Snapshot? Snapshots...
  • are a feature of APFS
  • are enabled by default when a volume is formatted APFS
  • are created automatically at "senisble" intervals
  • Originally Posted By: Mike Bombich
    Snapshots are read-only copies of your volume. Not only is it impossible to modify the content of those snapshots, but it’s also not possible to delete those snapshots without a special entitlement granted by Apple. What that means is that malware and ransomware can't delete your snapshots. So if you were somehow affected by ransomware and it started encrypting your files, you could remove the ransomware, then restore your files from the snapshot. CCC backups could literally save you thousands of dollars!
  • are relatively small -- on my system they average 237.8MB, are taken at roughly hourly intervals and only the last 15 are retained.
  • restoration to a previous version — even restoration to a previous OS version — is virtually instantaneous
  • are NOT a replacement for either Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper
  • a useful supplement to Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper
Hopefully Snapshots won't be needed very often, or at all, but they may be very useful if they are. I can envision Snapshots being combined with Time Machine as a seamless backup system.

— Albert Einstein
Virtual1 #49508 07/18/18 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

Thanks for that.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #49509 07/18/18 06:53 PM
OP Online

FINDER ADDITIONS

Changes to Finder were talked about at the WWDC, but for me at least they have been easy to overlook. You can see the additions here.

Adding the ability to select 3rd party Action menu items, Finder Extensions, Photos editing, Share options, Today list, and FInder Quick items and Preview pane to the quick view panel seems a curious choice. Obviously those various menus are all subsidiary functions of Finder but I would have expected the options to appear on the Finder Menu or even in System Preferences not as an icon in the quick view panel.

I had forgotten the Markup feature until I was preparing this post and realized how easy and convenient it is to access and use. It is easy enough that there is almost zero learning curve for someone with only a modicum of experience with graphics editing. There is nothing here that threatens Graphic Converter or Affinity Designer, but it could potentially replace Evernote's Skitch (which I use a lot) and several document signing apps that simply add an image of your signature to a document. All in all I think it will be very useful in the future. I did encounter a couple of minor glitches, but this is still a relatively early beta.

DARK MODE

I just noticed that each beta update it seems there are additional Apple apps that support Dark Mode. Finder and Safari are the most noticeable in beta 4.

DYNAMIC DESKTOPS

By now, everyone has probably seen the Mojave desert dune dynamic desktop that slowly changes during the day. There is also a new dynamic desktop in beta 4 called Solar Gradients. No picture just a color gradient with sky blue at the top shading to what I would describe as sunrise yellow/orange at the bottom and slowly changing through the day. I haven't seen it at night yet, and I am curious what it will look like after dark.

Neither is a deal maker, but both are nice eye candy.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/18/18 09:21 PM. Reason: Eye candy

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49513 07/19/18 09:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Bombich
...it’s also not possible to delete those snapshots without a special entitlement granted by Apple.

Do you know how that reconciles with
Originally Posted By: CCC Help
Additionally, CCC allows you to find and delete specific snapshots with ease. Simply click on a snapshot in the Snapshots table, then press the Delete key to delete that snapshot.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49514 07/19/18 01:48 PM
OP Online

Ask Mike Bombich. He is the source of both statements.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #49516 07/19/18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
...it’s also not possible to delete those snapshots without a special entitlement granted by Apple.

Do you know how that reconciles with
Originally Posted By: CCC Help
Additionally, CCC allows you to find and delete specific snapshots with ease. Simply click on a snapshot in the Snapshots table, then press the Delete key to delete that snapshot.

The "Help" file for CCC 5.x says: "CCC starts with sensible defaults, but you get to decide how frequently CCC creates snapshots and precisely how CCC will retain snapshots over time."

To me that sounds as if CCC is creating its own snapshots. piggybacking off of Apple's new feature.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #49519 07/19/18 04:09 PM

Ask Mike Bombich. He is the source of both statements.

Originally Posted By: artie
An on-line correspondent has quoted Mike as saying that "...it’s [also] not possible to delete [those] snapshots without a special entitlement granted by Apple."

At the same time, though, CCC help says: "Additionally, CCC allows you to find and delete specific snapshots with ease. Simply click on a snapshot in the Snapshots table, then press the Delete key to delete that snapshot."

How do the two reconcile?

The former is quite a bit older than the latter. CCC has supported snapshots since 5.1, which we released back in April.

I guess that as with all things beta, things change.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #49533 07/20/18 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck

Thanks for that.

So how would you rate those instructions? It's a somewhat difficult process to walk someone through / to make bulletproof instructions.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #49535 07/20/18 11:48 PM

So how would you rate those instructions? It's a somewhat difficult process to walk someone through / to make bulletproof instructions.

....and particularly difficult in writing. It takes time and thought, which you clearly invested. The instructions are quite clear to me. I haven't used them yet but have pasted them into a note for future use. I've recently been thinking along these lines.

If I run into any bumpy spots, I'll seek direction.

Last edited by ryck; 07/20/18 11:50 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #49557 07/22/18 11:29 PM
OP Online

MISSING IN ACTION

GRAB is gone having been replaced by SCREENSHOT. Functionally they are similar, but when activated Screenshot displays an icon bar with selections for…
  • Capturing the whole screen
  • Capturing the selected window
  • Capturing the selected area
  • Recording the entire screen
  • Recording the selected area
  • Options
    • Where to save the image
    • Timer:
      • None,
      • 5 seconds,
      • 10 seconds
    • Capture/Record
    • Options (yes this is a second set of options appearing on the Options menu 🤷‍♂️
      • Show floating thumbnail (it appears on the screen for several seconds and then disappears🤷‍♂️)
      • Remember last selections
      • Show Mouse pointer
  • A camera icon shows Screenshot is ready to take a picture
  • Screenshot Keyboard Shortcuts
    • ⇧⌘3 — Save a picture of screen to the clipboard
    • ∧⇧⌘3 — Copy a picture of the screen to the clipboard
    • ⇧⌘4 — Save Picture of selected area as a file
    • ∧⇧⌘4 — Copy picture of selected area to the clipboard
    • ⇧⌘5 — Screenshot and recording options
  • I still haven't found a convenient way to change Screenshot's image format other than that is Marcel Bresink's Tinkertool that is.

• Last edited by joemikeb; 07/23/18 02:07 PM. Reason: Add Tinkertool

— Albert Einstein
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard