for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Removing Facetime Call History from Mac
#49417 07/11/18 10:57 PM
OP Offline

I can't get rid of my FaceTime history in my mac. I got these instructions from the web:

Image result for how delete facetime from mac sierra
One by one
1) Launch the FaceTime app on your Mac.
2) Click the Video or Audio tab.
3) Right-click on an entry on the list and select the Remove from Recents option in the pop-up menu.

It doesn't work when I do #3. There is no Remove from Recents option. Nothing happens when I right click on an entry. Any ideas?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Removing Facetime Call History from Mac
plantsower #49420 07/12/18 04:27 AM

I think you m might not be getting the right click done correctly.....the contextual menu pops up for me and includes the remove from recents option.

As an alternative to a right click, try using a Control-click to see if that alternative gives you the desired result.

Let us know....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #49423 07/12/18 04:58 AM
OP Offline

The only way I know how to right click on my mac is to hold down control and click the trackpad. I had also tried command and option. I even went under Edit and "delete" was in the drop down box but was grayed out. I have Sierra, and I read where others who have Sierra have the same problem so I am wondering if that's the problem.

Update: Sorry for all the almost duplicate postings. Lately Safari won't take my posting and I have to go to Firefox. Then somehow they both go through.

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
I think you m might not be getting the right click done correctly.....the contextual menu pops up for me and includes the remove from recents option.

As an alternative to a right click, try using a Control-click to see if that alternative gives you the desired result.

Let us know....

Last edited by plantsower; 07/12/18 05:06 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49431 07/12/18 02:50 PM

Using Sierra on a Mac Mini to duplicate your issue with no response to Control-Click....if you are using the track pad on your MB Pro, you can get the "right-click" by using a gesture on the trackpad as well.

Try clicking the track pad using two fingers spread apart about an inch....you should be able to see what gestures are enabled by going to System Preferences.

Now let us know how that works.

FWIW, I'm using a third-party Kensington Trackball and the right click for that device works properly to get the pull down menu as your quoted procedure expects.

MacManiac #49434 07/12/18 03:16 PM
OP Offline

Thank you! Swiping to the left worked though the trackpad in system prefs never said how to do a right click specifically. But I can only do one at a time. There is no drop down box. I just clicked on one person's FaceTime phone call and swiped to the left and the word "delete" showed up, so I deleted it. It's not what you saw, but I can at least get one done at a time. I have another problem with FaceTime that I will post in a new thread.

BTW, I don't do FaceTime. I only did it once. So why all these other people's names and number came, I have no clue. Now on to my new thread post.

Using Sierra on a Mac Mini to duplicate your issue with no response to Control-Click....if you are using the track pad on your MB Pro, you can get the "right-click" by using a gesture on the trackpad as well.

Try clicking the track pad using two fingers spread apart about an inch....you should be able to see what gestures are enabled by going to System Preferences.

FWIW, I'm using a third-party Kensington Trackball and the right click for that device works properly to get the pull down menu as your quoted procedure expects.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49435 07/12/18 03:19 PM

Your duplicate posts have been removed...just so you know, there is a thread in the Feedback forum that holds more info on the wonky behavior you've been seeing recently when you push the "Submit" button with a new post. It's a server-side glitch that is being run to ground and stamped out as we speak....nothing on your end with Safari on your computer.

MacManiac #49437 07/12/18 03:25 PM
OP Offline

Thank you! Swiping to the left worked though the trackpad in system prefs never said how to do a right click specifically. But I can only delete one at a time. There is no drop down box. I just clicked on one person’s FaceTime phone call and swiped to the left and the word “delete” showed up, so I deleted it. It’s not what you saw, but I can at least get one done at a time.

BTW, I don’t do FaceTime as a general rule. I only remember doing it once. So why all these contacts are in there I have no idea. Now on to a new post regarding another problem I’m having with FaceTime.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

MacManiac #49438 07/12/18 03:31 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the info. I emailed tech and got the same answer. Now I realize when I get that error, the post was actually submitted and I don't have to do another one from Firefox. Lesson learned (for now). smirk

Your duplicate posts have been removed...just so you know, there is a thread in the Feedback forum that holds more info on the wonky behavior you've been seeing recently when you push the "Submit" button with a new post. It's a server-side glitch that is being run to ground and stamped out as we speak....nothing on your end with Safari on your computer.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49439 07/12/18 03:33 PM

Well, that's progress! smile

Returning to my original suggestion, look into the System Preferences Trackpad PrefPane under "Point & Click" and you should find a checkbox for the 2 finger click that will give you a "Right-Click" (otherwise known as a "Secondary" click......)

Useful info for the next time you get confronted for a Right click need.....

MacManiac #49442 07/12/18 04:22 PM
OP Offline

I went back to system prefs and clicked on Point and Click. I didn't realize secondary click was a right click. It never said to swipe to the left, though, which is what worked for me. I don't find their instructions very useful. frown

Well, that's progress! smile

Returning to my original suggestion, look into the System Preferences Trackpad PrefPane under "Point & Click" and you should find a checkbox for the 2 finger click that will give you a "Right-Click" (otherwise known as a "Secondary" click......)

Useful info for the next time you get confronted for a Right click need.....

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49444 07/12/18 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
It never said to swipe to the left, though, which is what worked for me.

That swipe thing is a recent (Sierra?) totally undocumented, as far as I can tell, step in the process of equalizing macOS and iOS.

I first ran across it in Contacts and was like "Huh?"

I've got no idea where else it may exist.

Last edited by artie505; 07/12/18 04:48 PM. Reason: Expand

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49445 07/12/18 04:55 PM
OP Offline

I think I had the swipe thing available on Mavericks.

Originally Posted By: artie505
It never said to swipe to the left, though, which is what worked for me.

That swipe thing is a recent (Sierra?) totally undocumented, as far as I can tell, step in the process of equalizing macOS and iOS.

I first ran across it in Contacts and was like "Huh?"

I've got no idea where else it may exist.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49446 07/12/18 08:07 PM

A left swipe to delete is a very clear carry over from iOS standards...one of many deliberate similarities.

MacManiac #49448 07/12/18 10:18 PM
OP Offline

Right. I'm just surprised that the trackpad page doesn't say how to right click without a mouse.

A left swipe to delete is a very clear carry over from iOS standards...one of many deliberate similarities.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49449 07/12/18 10:55 PM

I'm just surprised that the trackpad page doesn't say how to right click without a mouse.

It actually does, but awfully obscurely.

If you select "Secondary Click" you can see the contextual, i.e. control/right-click, menu come up in the accompanying video.

I've never seen the term "Secondary Click" other than in this particular instance.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49450 07/13/18 12:50 AM
OP Offline

That darn error message isn't fixed yet??? I looked at the secondary click again and I don't see any video. I see a picture and a hand moving to show the moves but that's it.

I'm just surprised that the trackpad page doesn't say how to right click without a mouse.

It actually does, but awfully obscurely.

If you select "Secondary Click" you can see the contextual, i.e. control/right-click, menu come up in the accompanying video.

I've never seen the term "Secondary Click" other than in this particular instance.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49451 07/13/18 12:56 AM

I looked at the secondary click again and I don't see any video. I see a picture and a hand moving to show the moves but that's it.

That's precisely it!

As the hand moves to show you the motion, the contextual, i.e. right/control-click, menu pops up to show you what's being accomplished.

artie505 #49452 07/13/18 02:58 AM
OP Offline

Wow, while they are tapping, I see menus popping up in the picture but no way can I read them! They are tiny and no way to enlarge that I can see.

I looked at the secondary click again and I don't see any video. I see a picture and a hand moving to show the moves but that's it.

That's precisely it!

As the hand moves to show you the motion, the contextual, i.e. right/control-click, menu pops up to show you what's being accomplished.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49465 07/13/18 03:21 PM

Wow, while they are tapping, I see menus popping up in the picture but no way can I read them!

You're supposed to recognize that it's (There's only one.) a contextual menu that's popping up and thereby realize that a two-finger swipe is the same as a right/control-click. tongue

As I said, "Awfully obscure!", and in my experience, totally unchracteristic of macOS.

artie505 #49467 07/13/18 07:15 PM
OP Offline

Ok, got it! Obscure. Wow, what a around about way to show us something. Not helpful at all. Thanks for the heads up.

Wow, while they are tapping, I see menus popping up in the picture but no way can I read them!

You're supposed to recognize that it's (There's only one.) a contextual menu that's popping up and thereby realize that a two-finger swipe is the same as a right/control-click. tongue

As I said, "Awfully obscure!", and in my experience, totally unchracteristic of macOS.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard