Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Back up and running!
#49321 07/04/18 08:58 AM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

FineTunedMac is now up and running on its new home. The transfer to the new server was rougher than I anticipated, as the database is now quite large indeed, so the transfer took a lot longer than I expected and produced some weird errors along the way. Sorry about that!

The new server gives us considerable room to grow, so I hope this is the last move.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Re: Back up and running!
tacit #49322 07/04/18 09:01 AM

Originally Posted By: tacit
FineTunedMac is now up and running on its new home.

Indeed it is. And with none of the access glitches which you suggested might occur (although I did clear my DNS cache in anticipation of such).

Mazel tov.

tacit #49323 07/04/18 09:12 AM

Originally Posted By: tacit
The new server gives us considerable room to grow, so I hope this is the last move.

I hope we outgrow it by next year!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #49325 07/04/18 02:41 PM

I'm finding that the new server is responding a bit more slowly than the previous one did...not major...a second or two...but definitely noticeable and quite annoying.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49326 07/04/18 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I'm finding that the new server is responding a bit more slowly than the previous one did...not major...a second or two...but definitely noticeable and quite annoying.
I see that also.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #49332 07/04/18 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I see that also.

Interesting. I'm finding just the opposite, albeit only slightly so. But then it may be due to my dialup connection's slow speeds. Who knows?

grelber #49341 07/05/18 12:35 AM

I just tried disabling content blockers to no avail. frown

Really terribly annoying! mad

To quantify, even when I've seen "Generated in 1.493 seconds", it has often taken as many as 5 seconds to get to that screen.

Update: It's faster in the dead of night.

Last edited by artie505; 07/05/18 06:29 AM. Reason: Update

grelber #49342 07/05/18 07:23 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Interesting. I'm finding just the opposite, albeit only slightly so. But then it may be due to my dialup connection's slow speeds. Who knows?

I spoke too soon. I too am finding significant slowdown (compared with FTM's previous server and other websites').
Curiouser is that every so often — and the fact that it happens at all is disconcerting since I've rarely seen such — access crashes with the warning: Firefox can't find the server. Since the new server came on line, that's popped up about a half dozen times.

grelber #49343 07/05/18 07:29 AM

Curiouser is that every so often — and the fact that it happens at all is disconcerting since I've rarely seen such — access crashes with the warning: Firefox can't find the server. Since the new server came on line, that's popped up about a half dozen times.

I haven't seen that at all in Safari.

grelber #49347 07/05/18 02:12 PM

I spoke too soon. I too am finding significant slowdown (compared with FTM's previous server and other websites').

I'm noticing delays when submitting new posts. Sometimes it's fine, other times there's a 5-10 second lag before it takes me to my successful post, and on rare occasions the page times out.

Me being the paranoid person that I am, I try to copy my post before hitting submit, so if it eats it, I have it on my clipboard to try again. If I forget, unfortunately the bbs locks the edit field from copying and I have to hit the browser STOP to unlock it, then select-all/copy, then load the thread again to see if it's there. (it usually is) If not, I try again. But at least I don't lose my diligent work wink

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #49355 07/05/18 10:34 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Huh. I'm not seeing that. I'll keep an eye on the logs and see if anything shows up. It might be coincidence, or it might be that there's network connection (the new server is on the east coast).

Virtual1 #49364 07/06/18 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

I'm noticing delays when submitting new posts. Sometimes it's fine, other times there's a 5-10 second lag before it takes me to my successful post, and on rare occasions the page times out.

Me being the paranoid person that I am, I try to copy my post before hitting submit, so if it eats it, I have it on my clipboard to try again. If I forget, unfortunately the bbs locks the edit field from copying and I have to hit the browser STOP to unlock it, then select-all/copy, then load the thread again to see if it's there. (it usually is) If not, I try again. But at least I don't lose my diligent work wink
I see the same thing.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #49370 07/06/18 04:29 PM

I too see delays in posting of the same durations mentioned.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
jchuzi #49399 07/09/18 04:43 PM

I am seeing massive delays in posting, some with freezes and no indication that the post went through (except to see it later in the forum).

I just got this error message:
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@finetunedmac.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #49401 07/09/18 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
I am seeing massive delays in posting, some with freezes and no indication that the post went through (except to see it later in the forum).
I just got this error message:
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@finetunedmac.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Yup. All that and more.

You might want to check out the doubling of your response (posts #49397 and #49398) in The Death of "lie" thread. That's happened to me several times since server turnover.

And it just happened again while trying to submit this:

Internal Server Error

(Look familiar?!)

How about this one ... which also pops up with the new server (and not with previous servers):

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.
We can’t connect to the server at www.finetunedmac.com.

tacit #49409 07/11/18 01:33 PM

Generated in 3.521 seconds in which 3.117 seconds were spent on a total of 40 queries.......

Saw the above on initial logon this morning.

Worse than that, encountered the following when I tried to submit this post the first time:

Internal Server Error

FWIW, I had good internal and external ping speeds and throughput speeds both up and down when I checked my end....

edited to add the error message that occurred on submission....the post had gone through properly despite the error message received.

Last edited by MacManiac; 07/11/18 01:40 PM.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #49410 07/11/18 02:25 PM

All of the above except I haven't seen the error messages yet.

I Spoke too soon when I submitted the previous i got…
Quote:
Internal Server Error

UPDATE:

I am now getting the error message with every submission and have to re-enter the site to find the post has been made.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/11/18 09:20 PM. Reason: Update

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
grelber #49414 07/11/18 05:05 PM

The increasing frequency of internal and other server errors manifesting across a variety of platforms and browsers leads one to believe that HAL-like insanity has gripped the new server. crazy
And we all know how that problem was resolved. tongue (Can you say "lobotomy"?) blush

grelber #49426 07/12/18 06:07 AM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Ugh. I've been tangling with this problem for days.

According to what I'm reading on the UBB.threads developer forum, UBB.threads does not play nice with the newest versions of PHP and with the security modules installed on this new server I've rolled back to an earlier version of PHP and tried to work around the security mods problem. I hope (fingers crossed) that fixes the slowness and the Internal Server Error problems.

If it doesn't, I'll keep tinkering. I'd hate to have to disable the added security modules, but if I have to, I have to.

tacit #49427 07/12/18 06:18 AM

I don't know if it's pertinent, but I've found that I experience the "error" problem only when posting a new post; editing an existing one goes through more or less smoothly, i.e. with only a several second delay.

More: Nothing had changed when I posted this.

I've taken to waiting a few seconds after hitting "Submit" and logging out/in. (...which has now stopped working, so I quit/relaunch Safari...GIANT PIA!. frown )

Last edited by artie505; 07/12/18 09:02 AM.

tacit #49428 07/12/18 07:51 AM

Add this issue to the list of problems to be addressed:

Several (new) threads now have replies but zero views, eg —

Mac OS X Applications > Mail Junk mail: Replies 3 Views 0

Networking > Removing Facetime History from Mac: Replies 3 Views 0

So, latter-day HAL continues to flip out. tongue

grelber #49429 07/12/18 08:58 AM

I've never figured out what "Views" actually means.

Is a poster (also) counted as a viewer or is a viewer someone who's done no more than look?

More to the point, have you viewed those threads (which still show -0- Views)?

Last edited by artie505; 07/12/18 10:33 AM.

artie505 #49430 07/12/18 01:06 PM

Is a poster (also) counted as a viewer or is a viewer someone who's done no more than look?

The original poster (ie, the original post) doesn't count. See some of the new threads that read: Replies 0 Views 0.
Anyone who clicks on the thread normally (ie, in the past, prior to this latest 'error') gets registered as a View; if that person then replies, it gets registered as a Reply.

More to the point, have you viewed those threads (which still show -0- Views)?

Yes, and none of them has changed despite repeated views.

tacit #49432 07/12/18 03:03 PM

Yeah, so far I've had to remove two duplicate posts from Networking caused by this issue....Rita saw the first attempt using Safari "hang" and so went to Firefox to submit, then found that both attempts had gone through.

I'm still seeing the "hang" on submission as of this morning, but it no longer generates an error response. Attempting to re-submit using Safari results in the ubb message that the submit button is disabled now because the post has already been submitted.

Hope this additional info is helpful.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #49441 07/12/18 04:08 PM

I wonder if it's significant that my first four posts in this thread were processed slowly but were NOT affected by the error problem?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard