for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iMac 24" after startup freezes
#4821 10/09/09 10:06 AM
OP Offline

recently I installed eyeTV to my mac and left it on for 96hrs then turned it off ,turned it back on then had problems as it freezes up after each startup , thought it would be the software , so downloaded updates but to no avail still freezes
up what to do, hope somebody can help
mapumalanga

Re: iMac 24" after startup freezes
mapumalanga #4832 10/09/09 02:58 PM

• When you say "it freezes up", what is "it"? Is "it" the eyeTV or is "it" your iMac?
  • If "it" is the eyeTV can you force quit the eyeTV application?
  • Does this persist... after rebooting OS X? …after powering your iMac down and then doing a cold boot?
  • What OS X version are you running?
  • What eyeTV software version number?
  • Have you checked the Console logs to see if there is any indication of what is going on?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #4898 10/12/09 12:44 PM
OP Offline

The EYETV is version 3, I don't know how to check the console logs , it is my iMac that freezes & I don't know the version of my OS X but I know it's a early 2008 it's a 10.? . I have to press & hold the on/off button to turn it off ,sometimes when I reboot a beep,beep,beep sound comes on then I have to press & hold the on/off switch again to reboot, sometimes it reboots, I enter the password & within about a min it will freeze again & a message come up for me to press the on/off button to restart again
I've got so far as to update the software,but it again after that freezes again,I've also tried to do a hardware test & it gets to the piont that I have to click the test button,after a few seconds freezes it again. Hopefully this informatiopn will be enough to solve my problem.
I only found out recently that registering with iTunes does'nt necessarily register your unit with Apple, I bought the unit in early 2008 & only register it with Apple 2weeks ago shocked crazystuffed up

mapumalanga #4901 10/12/09 01:03 PM

A few things come to mind:

The three beeps indicate bad RAM or, possibly, a bad logic board. See Intel-based Mac Power On Self Test RAM error codes and Power Mac G4: Computer Beeps Three Times. Even though the second article refers to a G4, the error code is the same.

You are evidently having occasional kernel panics, which is consistent with RAM or logic board issues. See also Resolving Kernel Panics.

Assuming that the computer is running long enough to do this, go to the Apple menu and click About This Mac. That will tell you the specific OS that you are running. If you then click More Info in the About This Mac window, you'll launch System Profiler and will be able to see everything that you would ever need to know about your Mac.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
mapumalanga #4904 10/12/09 02:31 PM

The first thing that I would try is to reseat RAM. This involves removing the RAM module(s) and putting them back. It's possible that a bad or intermittent connection is causing the problem and this "solution" is both free and quick. If you don't know how to do it, the owner's manual should have instructions.

If the above is unsuccessful, Apple will fix it free providing that you have Applecare. You said that you registered the computer 2 weeks ago. Are you covered? Bear in mind that you have a year from the original purchase date to buy an additional 2 year coverage under Applecare. If you haven't bought that protection and you are within the year limit, it would pay to buy it and then use it.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #4925 10/13/09 04:19 AM
OP Offline

thanks for the info mate,before I take any further action could it be that the RAM modules could sort of move or unseat itselfs because recently I took my iMac with me on a plane trip and was wondering if any parts like the RAM could have moved I'm just giving that a thought
the date of purchase was on the 15/08/2008

jchuzi #4928 10/13/09 08:37 AM
OP Offline

Hi jchuzi I've got a iMac8.1 which is a OS X 10.5.8 version
with 4GB 667Mhz RAM,I've reseated the RAM Modules & the computer is working fine have'nt had any problem within the last 4hrs so I guess the problems been solved, I must thank you for the info to have helped with the matter,as I'm still a learner of Mac,Thanks again
Mapumalanga

mapumalanga #4930 10/13/09 10:57 AM

Wonderful news! It's always good when the solution is so simple. cool

Jon

jchuzi #5024 10/15/09 11:11 AM
OP Offline

well it's been 6 days and my Mac was running OK every now & then it would make the same 3beeps or the minute it bootsup the screen would darken & tells me to hold down on the on/off button to restart & after awhile it would work like normal, today I'v decided to put the EYETV USB thing in again to watch TV, as soon as I've done that the screen darken & a window come up to restart, I immediatly unplug the EYETV and now as soon as I restart there is 1 of 3 things that happen (1)the 3 beeps (2)bootup & the screen darken & tell me to reboot (3)2 very dull noises and a loud noise,I think there is more to than just reseating those RAMs,do you think I should just take it to Mac Shop

mapumalanga #5025 10/15/09 12:43 PM

I think that you're right; take it to the shop. From where I sit, it looks like a hardware issue. You might want to wait 24 hours or so, in case someone else has a better idea.

Jon

mapumalanga #5032 10/15/09 06:14 PM

When I get in a machine with intermittent issues that may be memory, I try to find something (anything) that makes them misbehave. Then I try multiple tests with only one memory stick installed at a time, and try them in the different slots. Usually it becomes apparent that the problem occurs with one specific stick in either slot but not at all with the other stick, or if either stick is in one specific slot, which tells you where the problem is.

Had one in last week that would ONLY crash when booted up and in use, even on an OS hardware test. Never got a memory test to fail. But was able to determine one memory stick was bad and replaced it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
jchuzi #6040 11/23/09 10:22 AM
OP Offline

Hi everybody ,it's me again Mapumalanga ,well friends it's all sorted out , when I bought the Mac I ask the seller to add 2gig of ram so that I can have 4gig which they did and it worked untill I moved the Mac from state to state by plane then something must have happend , so I took it to the shop where they found that the 2 gig ram that was put in,was not of the same speed as the original shocked and it only cost me $87.00AU
So I thank you all for the good advise have a good Xmas & new year guys smile

Ram module was not compatible with the iMac model,
Ram spec is 667Mghz where it should be 800Mhz, so I purchase 2GB 800Mhz SODIMM module
again thank you smile

Last edited by mapumalanga; 11/23/09 10:25 AM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard