FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Removing Cookies
#49171 06/24/18 04:11 AM
OP Offline

I like to remove cookies every night. I keep two. After I remove them for the first time, more show up and I delete them. The weird thing is some are cookies from websites I haven't visited in awhile. Why are there cookies on my computer from those websites; i.e. costco for instance?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Removing Cookies
plantsower #49174 06/24/18 06:44 AM

Your problem may be Evercookies.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49184 06/24/18 04:08 PM
OP Offline

Looks like I have to routinely empty cache and clear history. I use Disconnect which I thought was supposed to stop all that. The guy that invented it should be ashamed of himself unless I'm missing something.

Originally Posted By: artie505

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49186 06/24/18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Looks like I have to routinely empty cache and clear history. I use Disconnect which I thought was supposed to stop all that. The guy that invented it should be ashamed of himself unless I'm missing something.

I asked Cookie's developer if it could deal with Evercookies, and he replied

Originally Posted By: Russell
Yup,

Just make sure cache removal is enabled.

I've got Cookie set to clear cache whenever I quit Safari, and I sometimes do interim command-option-E clears. (Note that you can't clear cache while Safari is running by any method other than that command.)

What you're missing is that Evercookies are beneficial to those who place them.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49187 06/24/18 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: aratie505
I've got Cookie set to clear cache whenever I quit Safari, and I sometimes do interim command-option-E clears. (Note that you can't clear cache while Safari is running by any method other than that command.)

Another way is to use the Develop menu, which lists that keyboard shortcut as a reminder.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #49189 06/24/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Originally Posted By: aratie505

Another way is to use the Develop menu, which lists that keyboard shortcut as a reminder.

Why would I want to mouse up to my menu bar and click on "Develop" and then mouse down to and click on "Empty Caches" when there's a much quicker/easier key command?

I don't see the key command as a "reminder", but as a "this is how you really do it".

And I'm sure there are many who don't agree. tongue

artie505 #49192 06/24/18 08:54 PM
OP Offline

Where can I look to see the cache before I delete it?

I asked Cookie's developer if it could deal with Evercookies, and he replied

Originally Posted By: Russell
Yup,

Just make sure cache removal is enabled.

What you're missing is that Evercookies are beneficial to those who place them.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49193 06/24/18 10:29 PM

If you mean you want to examine what's in cache before you clear it, I don't know if it's possible.

artie505 #49195 06/24/18 10:40 PM
OP Offline

Yes, that's why I meant.

If you mean you want to examine what's in cache before you clear it, I don't know if it's possible.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49196 06/24/18 10:54 PM

I looked at a couple of apps on MacUpdate, and they seem to show no more than the URLs of the websites you've visited.

There may be a pertinent app, but I'm unaware of it.

artie505 #49198 06/24/18 11:53 PM

I looked at a couple of apps on MacUpdate, and they seem to show no more than the URLs of the websites you've visited.

I gather that Safari, unlike Firefox, does not allow examination of cache(s).
In Firefox I just enter about:cache in the URL window and thereby gain access to complete descriptions of each and every cached item.
Every cookie (and subordinate cookies) in Safari (as in Firefox) should be viewable and manageable in a straightforward manner.
It's unclear to me why there should be a problem here.

grelber #49199 06/25/18 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber

In Firefox I just enter about:cache in the URL window and thereby gain access to complete descriptions of each and every cached item.
Every cookie (and subordinate cookies) in Safari (as in Firefox) should be viewable and manageable in a straightforward manner.

If Safari has got such a feature I've never heard it mentioned. (I just looked in my "Develop" menu and didn't see anything pertinent.)

If it's not intrusive, would you please post a screenshot?

Why have you injected cookies into a cache discussion?

artie505 #49200 06/25/18 09:09 AM

As previously noted, when I enter about:cache into Firefox's URL window (in a new tab), I get a page with the title Information about the Network Cache Storage Service, within I can access information on 3 separate caches: memory, disk, appcache; the first two permit complete List Cache Entries.

I just looked through my Safari (9.1.2) and also found nothing equivalent. You may have to install a third-party extension to monitor the cache(s), which is what I had prior to Mozilla upgrading their browser to Firefox Quantum, which disabled many such extensions while at the same time providing their own internally secure and robust versions (although in this case the ability to access cache lists via about:cache, much like configuration via about:config, existed prior to that).

If it's not intrusive, would you please post a screenshot?

I'd like to supply a screenshot, but the last time I tried to do so using Imgur (as you may recall), it was so frustrating that I gave up (even after several days of exploring it). Plus I could figure out no way to do so without leaving "a trail of breadcrumbs".
Perhaps someone else who uses Firefox and and has better luck with Imgur could oblige.

Cookies were the original starting point for this thread (Removing Cookies).

grelber #49201 06/25/18 09:31 AM

As previously noted....

I'd like to supply a screenshot....

Oops! I forgot that I've got Firefox. I just took a look for myself. (I'll never understand why you had a problem with Imgur; it's not quite the MOST intuitive website I've ever seen, but it ranks high up there.)

Cookies were the original starting point for this thread (Removing Cookies).

Yeah, but your injecting them into the middle of a discussion about cache was confusing.

plantsower #49204 06/25/18 03:19 PM

In a FINDER window:

1. Go to the HD folder and open it. Open SYSTEM/LIBRARY and LIBRARY folders. There will be a CACHE folder in which you can see each item. Some items are "blocked" and cannot be deleted. At least, not by trying to simply move to the Trash. (In most cases, I would expect there is nothing of interest to remove there and probably not wise to do so. I never have.)

2. Also, go to your USER LIBRARY folder and open it. Note: This can be found using the FINDER Dropdown Menu = Go while holding the Opt key.

There will be a CACHE folder in there as well. Inside that is a COM.APPLE.SAFARI folder plus a METADATA folder which contains the SAFARI cache. (P.S. I only use the SAFARI browser, but I suspect with a little digging around, other browser caches will be nearby.)

Last edited by MG2009; 06/25/18 03:37 PM. Reason: Go + OPT instructions
grelber #49206 06/25/18 04:04 PM
OP Offline

I went to Google and found this because of your post regarding removing cache:

Firefox
From the History menu, select Clear Recent History. ...
From the Time range to clear: drop-down menu, select the desired range; to clear your entire cache, select Everything.
Next to "Details", click the down arrow to choose which elements of the history to clear; to clear your entire cache, select all items.

So thanks! At least it's out of Firefox for now which I use rare
ly.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

MG2009 #49207 06/25/18 04:16 PM
OP Offline

Funny, using Option to find the User Library doesn't work for me. It used to on my other laptop, but not this one.

Originally Posted By: MG2009
In a FINDER window:

1. Go to the HD folder and open it. Open SYSTEM/LIBRARY and LIBRARY folders. There will be a CACHE folder in which you can see each item. Some items are "blocked" and cannot be deleted. At least, not by trying to simply move to the Trash. (In most cases, I would expect there is nothing of interest to remove there and probably not wise to do so. I never have.)

2. Also, go to your USER LIBRARY folder and open it. Note: This can be found using the FINDER Dropdown Menu = Go while holding the Opt key.

There will be a CACHE folder in there as well. Inside that is a COM.APPLE.SAFARI folder plus a METADATA folder which contains the SAFARI cache. (P.S. I only use the SAFARI browser, but I suspect with a little digging around, other browser caches will be nearby.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49209 06/25/18 07:00 PM

Funny, using Option to find the User Library doesn't work for me. It used to on my other laptop, but not this one.

It is Shift+Command+G (⇧⌘G) while you are in Finder then enter
  • ~/Library — to get the User Library (Don't forget the tilde (~) before the slash)
  • /Library — to get the root Library
  • /System/Library — to get the System Library

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49212 06/25/18 10:24 PM
OP Offline

Thank you!!

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

It is Shift+Command+G (⇧⌘G) while you are in Finder then enter
  • ~/Library — to get the User Library (Don't forget the tilde (~) before the slash)
  • /Library — to get the root Library
  • /System/Library — to get the System Library

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49213 06/25/18 11:11 PM

Option is unnecessary In my High Sierra; clicking on Finder > Go shows "Library" (i.e. ~/Library) in the drop-down.

artie505 #49214 06/26/18 12:37 AM
OP Offline

Didn't Go used to show Library once upon a time, and then they felt the need to hide it?

Option is unnecessary In my High Sierra; clicking on Finder > Go shows "Library" (i.e. ~/Library) in the drop-down.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49216 06/26/18 01:03 AM

Didn't Go used to show Library once upon a time, and then they felt the need to hide it?

The default is hidden (10.7 and higher), but there is now (10.9 and higher) a setting to make it show (again) like a regular folder. But the setting only shows with your Home folder open, then ⌘J Show View Options.

artie505 #49220 06/26/18 01:34 PM
OP Offline

Artie: Did you remove your offer to give me a Terminal Command for Library? Because when I clicked on the link in my email I got an error message as such: There was a problem looking up this post in our database.
Please click [ Back ] to return to the previous pag
e.

I looked here and still couldn't find your offer.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49221 06/26/18 01:54 PM

I deleted it because Urquhart's method is easier.

artie505 #49224 06/26/18 02:59 PM
OP Offline

I just followed his instructions and found the "show library folder" is already checked, but it still doesn't show in my "Go" dropdown list.

I deleted it because Urquhart's method is easier.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard