FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Safari slower than Firefox on certain website
plantsower #49122 06/20/18 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Here you go! [url=Tellwut Vanguard Link]http://redirects.vanguard-research.com/g...jk2jj27-1839254[/url]

Clicking on your link got me this; it loaded slowly, but not extraordinarily so.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #49123 06/20/18 07:15 AM

Here you go! [url=Tellwut Vanguard Link]http://redirects.vanguard-research.com/g...jk2jj27-1839254[/url]

Hah?! Another inadvertent slip of the finger or fooling around? Assuming the former ...

In UBB U the URL (without the space following =, which I'm inserting for demonstration purposes) goes within the the first set of square brackets, followed by 'title', followed by closing/second set of square brackets, as in:
[url= http://redirects.vanguard-research.com/go/u/e93355e0852b68f2b6d860ca84f64caed88556bf385f3635385f313532363733303931385f54656c6c77757432/?sub=6dcnqz1igirf-eutjk2jj27-1839254]Tellwut Vanguard Link[/url].

plantsower #49126 06/20/18 01:43 PM

Safari recognized the URL as a URL and I clicked on it. All I get is…
Quote:
You have already attempted this survey.
Based on what Artie saw I would have to say that any problem you are having is local to you.
  • What is your current MacOS version?
  • What version of Safari are you running?
  • What Safari extensions do you have installed and their version?

To add to jon's comment and perhaps make the principal clearer: Since MacOS and Safari automatically recognizes a URL such as https://www.finetunedmac.com and makes it clickable there is no need to use the UBB URL form unless you want to give the link a title such as FineTunedMac The UBB format for that would be:
Code:
[url=http://www.finetunedmac.com]FineTunedMac[/url]

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/20/18 02:25 PM. Reason: add questions

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49128 06/20/18 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
What I get is…
Quote:
Ditto for me.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #49129 06/20/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
What I get is…
Quote:
Ditto for me.
I got that the second time I hit the link...after I posted my screenshot; I guess Rita hadn't clicked yet.

More: I guess it's a targeted link? Otherwise, why would you guys have gotten the "Already" screen after I clicked on it.

Last edited by artie505; 06/20/18 02:18 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49130 06/20/18 02:32 PM
OP Offline

Darn it!

Originally Posted By: artie505

Clicking on your link got me this; it loaded slowly, but not extraordinarily so.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #49132 06/20/18 02:42 PM
OP Offline

Safari recognized the URL as a URL and I clicked on it. All I get is…
Quote:
Based on what Artie saw I would have to say that any problem you are having is local to you.
  • OK. frown
  • What is your current MacOS version?
  • What version of Safari are you running?
  • What Safari extensions do you have installed and their version? My current Mac Version and current Safari version should be listed below my post. Not?? What ever versions I have of extensions, when I have a problem like this, I always test it by disabling all of them via the Develop Menu. Sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes not.

To add to jon's comment and perhaps make the principal clearer: Since MacOS and Safari automatically recognizes a URL such as https://www.finetunedmac.com and makes it clickable there is no need to use the UBB URL form unless you want to give the link a title such as FineTunedMac The UBB format for that would be:
Code:
Alright, thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #49133 06/20/18 02:45 PM
OP Offline

Again, Darn it!

What I get is…
Quote:
Ditto for me.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #49134 06/20/18 02:48 PM
OP Offline

Artie: I DID click on the link. That is the only I knew it was the Vanguard thing by looking at the URL after I clicked. I'm not sure why it said YOU had already clicked on it since you have a different computer, IP address, etc. It's weird how it works, I guess. Regardless, whenever a Vanguard survey comes up, I cannot load it up no matter what browser I use or extensions I have on or off. It's a mystery.

What I get is…
Quote:
Ditto for me.
I got that the second time I hit the link...after I posted my screenshot; I guess Rita hadn't clicked yet.

More: I guess it's a targeted link? Otherwise, why would you guys have gotten the "Already" screen after I clicked on it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49136 06/20/18 03:13 PM

To add to jon's grelber's comment and perhaps make the principal clearer: Since MacOS and Safari automatically recognizes a URL such as https://www.finetunedmac.com and makes it clickable there is no need to use the UBB URL form unless you want to give the link a title such as FineTunedMac The UBB format for that would be:
Code:
(Emphasis added)

I had actually written and deleted the equivalent of grelber's post before he posted; I figured that your intent was clear, and your link was clickable, so why bother the lady with details?

plantsower #49138 06/20/18 03:26 PM

Artie: I DID click on the link. That is the only I knew it was the Vanguard thing by looking at the URL after I clicked. I'm not sure why it said YOU had already clicked on it since you have a different computer, IP address, etc. It's weird how it works, I guess. Regardless, whenever a Vanguard survey comes up, I cannot load it up no matter what browser I use or extensions I have on or off. It's a mystery.

The only guess I can make is that the link is good for one use only, without regard to the machine or ISP address from which it's clicked, and that your click apparently didn't register, so I got in with my first click (as per my screenshot), and got the same "Already" screen as Jon and joemike thereafter.

Suggestion: Try from you husband's PC now and next time.

Last edited by artie505; 06/20/18 03:31 PM.

plantsower #49140 06/20/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Plantsower
My current Mac Version and current Safari version should be listed below my post. Not?? What ever versions I have of extensions, when I have a problem like this, I always test it by disabling all of them via the Develop Menu. Sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes not.

Okay! Earlier I thought you indicated you did not have the latest version of Safari — you do. Here is something to try that will save you having to use the Develop menu and unlike the Develop menu it will give you pinpoint control.
  1. Look on the Safari Tool Bar for an icon that looks like a Gearwheel.
  2. If it is not there, on the Safari menu bar click on View > Customize Tool bar and drag the icon labeled Website preferences to the tool bar then close the Customize Toolbar window
  3. When you encounter a problem with a website click on the Gearwheel icon (Website Preferences) and UNcheck enable content blockers. That will…
    • Disable any content Safari Content blockers or Content blocking extensions — FOR THAT ONE SITE
    • Force the page to reload
    • Hopefully eliminate any problem using the site
  4. Safari will remember not to allow any content blockers to be applied to that specific site until you change its setting
  5. Safari > Preferences > Websites will show you what features can be set and what the settings are for each specific website.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49141 06/20/18 07:05 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. I had the gear but never used it. I put it up there awhile back. To me using the Develop Menu was just as easy but the Gear is easier, and the fact that Safari remembers makes it even better. Thanks for explaining the Preferences > Website feature. I've seen it but didn't really understand it nor took the time to. Now I get it!

Originally Posted By: Plantsower
My current Mac Version and current Safari version should be listed below my post. Not?? What ever versions I have of extensions, when I have a problem like this, I always test it by disabling all of them via the Develop Menu. Sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes not.

Okay! Earlier I thought you indicated you did not have the latest version of Safari — you do. Here is something to try that will save you having to use the Develop menu and unlike the Develop menu it will give you pinpoint control.
  1. Look on the Safari Tool Bar for an icon that looks like a Gearwheel.
  2. If it is not there, on the Safari menu bar click on View > Customize Tool bar and drag the icon labeled Website preferences to the tool bar then close the Customize Toolbar window
  3. When you encounter a problem with a website click on the Gearwheel icon (Website Preferences) and UNcheck enable content blockers. That will…
    • Disable any content Safari Content blockers or Content blocking extensions — FOR THAT ONE SITE
    • Force the page to reload
    • Hopefully eliminate any problem using the site
  4. Safari will remember not to allow any content blockers to be applied to that specific site until you change its setting
  5. Safari > Preferences > Websites will show you what features can be set and what the settings are for each specific website.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard