for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Problems playing YouTube Videos
#49012 06/05/18 04:28 PM
OP Offline

Now and again I am getting this error message on Safari: THE VIDEO IS BAD OR IN A FORMAT THAT CANNOT BE PLAYED ON YOUR BROWSER Error Code: MEDIA_ERR_DECODE Technical details : The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support. Session ID: 2018-06-05:3efcdde5e37be80151f2d390 Player ID: dc-video-5793443132001 I am running Safari 11.1 which has never given me any problems in the past. I then revert to Tor or Firefox (same thing I guess sort of) and it plays fine. Any ideas? I shouldn't have to upgrade since I had no problems before unless this is Apple's way of making me do it.

Thanks. Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Problems playing YouTube Videos
plantsower #49014 06/05/18 04:57 PM

I haven't had that specific message, but when I can't play a video in Safari, I disable extensions (easily done via the Develop menu, but you'll have to reload the page afterwards) and that works. You can play with disabling individual extensions but, if you're like me, there are so many that it's easier to use the nuclear option.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #49016 06/05/18 06:28 PM

Given you are using Safari 11.1, which is the latest release in any version of MacOS, upgrading the OS would be highly unlikely to effect this. I have encountered it recently in Safari Technology Preview Release 57 (Safari 11.2, WebKit 13606.1.18) which is later than Safari 11.1 but only on YouTube. It appears that a content blocker (ad blocker) is interfering with the comercial video that precedes so many YouTube videos which results in the message we are receiving.
Originally Posted By: jchusi
I disable extensions (easily done via the Develop menu, but you'll have to reload the page afterwards) and that works.
In Safari 11.1 that is unnecessary.
  1. On the Safari menu bar go to View > Customize Toolbar
  2. Drag the Website Preferences icon and drop it on the Safari toolbar
  3. Click on Done
After that any time you get the "THE VIDEO IS BAD…" message, click on Website preferences then uncheck "Enable Content Blockers". That disables any content blockers (which are the most likely reason for the error message) and automatically reload the page. You only have to do that once because Safari will remember the action and disable content blockers every time you visit that page. Disabling blocking is site specific and does not effect any other web site.

Safari > Preferences > Websites will show you site-by-site what you special conditions you have set including:
  • Using Reader mode when available
  • disabling content blockers
  • disabling auto-play of audo and video media
  • setting a site specific page zoom
  • disabling the camera (major security and privacy issue)
  • disabling the microphone
  • disabling location reporting
  • disabling notifications

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #49017 06/05/18 06:38 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I haven't had that specific message, but when I can't play a video in Safari, I disable extensions (easily done via the Develop menu, but you'll have to reload the page afterwards) and that works. You can play with disabling individual extensions but, if you're like me, there are so many that it's easier to use the nuclear option.

Thanks. I do use the develop menu to open a different browser to play mentioned video which also works. I did what you said and it worked also. Thanks for that. I never thought of it being an ad blocker issue.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #49018 06/05/18 06:39 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Given you are using Safari 11.1, which is the latest release in any version of MacOS, upgrading the OS would be highly unlikely to effect this. I have encountered it recently in Safari Technology Preview Release 57 (Safari 11.2, WebKit 13606.1.18) which is later than Safari 11.1 but only on YouTube. It appears that a content blocker (ad blocker) is interfering with the comercial video that precedes so many YouTube videos which results in the message we are receiving.
I disable extensions (easily done via the Develop menu, but you'll have to reload the page afterwards) and that works.
  3. Click on Done
After that any time you get the "THE VIDEO IS BAD…" message, click on Website preferences then uncheck "Enable Content Blockers". That disables any content blockers (which are the most likely reason for the error message) and automatically reload the page. You only have to do that once because Safari will remember the action and disable content blockers every time you visit that page. Disabling blocking is site specific and does not effect any other web site.

Safari > Preferences > Websites will show you site-by-site what you special conditions you have set including:

Thanks. I will do that. So helpful.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49019 06/05/18 06:40 PM
OP Offline

Oh wait. What is the website preferences icon? Huh?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #49023 06/05/18 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
When you follow Joe's procedure and go to View > Customize Toolbar, the website preferences icon will be labeled.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
joemikeb #49024 06/05/18 08:12 PM

3. Click on Done

Many thanks, Joe. I do have that icon enabled in my toolbar but have never used it. Your suggestion seems to be much easier than disabling all extensions.

Jon

jchuzi #49025 06/05/18 08:20 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Originally Posted By: plantsower
When you follow Joe's procedure and go to View > Customize Toolbar, the website preferences icon will be labeled.

Thanks. I didn't see it the first time around!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #49026 06/05/18 08:50 PM

Many thanks, Joe. I do have that icon enabled in my toolbar but have never used it. Your suggestion seems to be much easier than disabling all extensions.
…and the fact it is site specific and persistent is the icing on the cake. My only Safari complaint now is they have moved the extensions to the App Store and several of my favorites such as 1Password no longer work. frown

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49027 06/05/18 10:13 PM

You can access 1Password at https://1password.com I hope that this helps.

Jon

jchuzi #49029 06/06/18 12:51 AM

Thanks Jon. I have downloaded the 1Password Safari extension from their website, but the installation fails with an error. 1Password is apparently going to have to make changes on their end and perhaps release it through the App Store? If you attempt to install any extensions in Safari 11 and the only source is the MacOS App Store. It appears Apple is vetting Safari extensions for Mac the same way they do on the iOS App Store so they can enforce their security and reliability rules.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49030 06/06/18 01:13 AM

I have downloaded the 1Password Safari extension from their website, but the installation fails with an error.

I had that problem with my SessionRestore extension d/l, and in the end I learned that it had moved from the dev's website to the Safari Extensions Gallery (and changed its name...and left it to users to figure it all out).

1Password may already be in the Gallery. Have you checked?

More: iPassword - Safari Extension Gallery

I don't understand why rather than clarifying this on their websites the devs allow d/l's (theoretically) knowing that they're going to fail.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #49031 06/06/18 10:00 AM

If you attempt to install any extensions in Safari 11 and the only source is the MacOS App Store. It appears Apple is vetting Safari extensions for Mac the same way they do on the iOS App Store so they can enforce their security and reliability rules.

I've been wondering about that for a while... iOS was a newly created platform, and I suppose Apple had the right to impose any restrictions on it that they wanted, but "freestanding" extensions have been permissible for years, and any attempt by Apple to totally restrict them for any reason could be considered censorship, perhaps even monopolistic. I certainly hope they'll continue to allow user discretion as they have in the past.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49032 06/06/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I've been wondering about that for a while... iOS was a newly created platform, and I suppose Apple had the right to impose any restrictions on it that they wanted, but "freestanding" extensions have been permissible for years, and any attempt by Apple to totally restrict their content for any reason could be considered censorship, perhaps even monopolistic. I certainly hope they'll continue to allow user discretion as they have in the past.

A major rationale for App Store exclusivity on iOS has been to help ensure stability, reliability, and security of iOS devices particularly in light of the fact iOS has less protection from ill behaving third party software. As far as I know there has been no indication of Apple's adopting that model for MacOS. Instead Apple relies on ease of use and automatic updates to encourage users to go first to the App Store for their needs and billions of dollars in sales to attract third party developers. That strategy has certainly worked on me. smile.

If you think about it, Safari extensions are more akin to iOS apps than MacOS apps. Apple has a vested interest in assuring the stability, reliability, and security of their flagship browser and that is a lot easier to do when they can control new extensions through the App Store mechanism. It hasn’t been that long ago when you and others were questioning the functionality of allowing or disallowing content blockers on a site-by-site basis in Safari. It turns put the feature works well IF the content blocker developers used a new API to connect to Safari, but many developers continued to use the older deprecated API. Of course the blame fell on Apple not on the third party developers when the feature did not work. The App Store model allows Apple to control this sort of thing as well as watching out for unintended (or intended) vulnerabilities to mallicious operators.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard