for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Donald Trump's Despicable Practices
Virtual1 #49080 06/13/18 08:32 AM

This thread has gotten too depressing for me to continue dealing with it, so, as I did with the other PENUS (President Elected Nearly Unanimously, Sir) thread, I'm dropping out.

But as a parting gesture, I'll recall the Village Voice cartoon of the '70's in which Richard Nixon was portrayed as the Sphinx and referred to as "King Sphinxter"...indeed, the most memorable pun I've ever run across.

I submit that it's time to reprise it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #49082 06/13/18 01:16 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
This thread has gotten too depressing for me to continue dealing with it.....

To give you a bit of levity as you depart, I've seen an item that says Triple Crown Winner, Justify, turned down an invitation to visit the White House. His reason was: "If I wanted to see a horse's ass, I would have finished second."

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #49083 06/13/18 02:40 PM

Thanks for that! grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #49086 06/13/18 10:26 PM

It occurs to me that threads such as this and lots of others in this an other venues may be exactly what Trump is counting on to keep himself in office. We vent our spleen and disipate our anger and dismay here rather than actually engaging in the political process. Instead of posts about how terrible "he" is we should be attending political rally's, bombarding not only our Congressional representatives and Senators but our governors, state representatives with letters, phone calls, emails and even our physical presence protesting the actions of Trump and his coterie of sycophants. Supporting more rational candidates for office with our time and money. In general getting off our comfortable backsides and getting engaged in the process.

I admit to my guilt. I am a former a Republican, and a member of the NRA for many years, but by my own inaction I tacitly permitted both to be taken over by hard line extremists who in no way represent anything I believe in or stand for. It is time to act, and take back our party and our nation from the extremists. So hopefully I will be doing what I am calling on you to do, quit waiting for someone else to do it and engage or re-engage in the process.

And I am not going to climb down from this soapbox.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
grelber #49117 06/19/18 12:29 AM

😢 Mr Potus regrets ...

"I don't like taking children away from their parents, but we don't know that they are their true parents. They could be murderers and thieves and so much else. Maybe by doing what we're doing we'll stop this flow of felonious migrants. But since we probably can't, we're going to have to get ahead of this thing and turn our detention facilities into concentration camps with the requisite gas chambers for real deterrents. It almost worked back in the '40s and we're so much wiser and more sophisticated now that it should work just fine. And we'll get them to pay for it too. If only the Democrats would get on board. So sad."

grelber #49137 06/20/18 03:16 PM

Now Mr Potus is targeting infants and toddlers in his rage to engage.

I know it would be too much to ask him to fall on his sword literally or figuratively for the good of humanity or even the honor of his country, but his administration's actions are about as close to 'war crimes' as one can get in a civil situation.

When all is said and done, everyone — and I mean everyone — who was actively or passively complicit in this outrage needs to be tried in the equivalent to the Nürnberg trials.

In a world closing in on a population of 8 billion, a few hundred lives is a drop in the bucket. It would be for a good cause.

(I know that the logic is somewhat incoherent, but sometimes justice is served in mysterious ways.)

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière
grelber #49177 06/24/18 08:37 AM

There must be an awful lot of lead in America's drinking water to account for so much mental defectiveness! tongue

As Critics Assail Trump, His Supporters Dig In Deeper

• With President Trump’s approval rating at 90% among Republicans, his supporters say they defend him because they feel criticism of him is constantly overblown.
• Their resilience suggests a level of unity that could help mitigate Mr Trump’s low overall approval ratings and help his party’s chances of keeping control of the House in November.

grelber #49183 06/24/18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
There must be an awful lot of lead in America's drinking water to account for so much mental defectiveness! tongue

As Critics Assail Trump, His Supporters Dig In Deeper

• With President Trump’s approval rating at 90% among Republicans, his supporters say they defend him because they feel criticism of him is constantly overblown.
• Their resilience suggests a level of unity that could help mitigate Mr Trump’s low overall approval ratings and help his party’s chances of keeping control of the House in November.

I have seen this behavior recently in several Christian and non-Christian religious organizations where conservative elements find themselves an ever decreasing minority. They are invariably highly motivated to retain their ascendency and get very organized to dominate and exclude anyone less conservative than themselves from the power structure. As their numbers continue to decrease and they find themselves losing more and more popular support they resort to "anything goes" dirty tricks to hold onto power. While they still have enough representation to be credible they resort to threats to withdraw from the institution and form their own group of the "true faith". In the end they eventually break off into splinter organizations based around everything they are opposed to while the remaining group of loyalists breathes a sigh of relief and goes on about the regular business of the church. Finally, because the conservatives are focused on conflict they begin to feud among themselves and continue to splinter into ever smaller groups of fewer and fewer people.

I am hopeful this scenario that has played out in many religious organizations will play out in politics.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49205 06/25/18 03:44 PM

Plus, in general, Conservatives really value their right to vote which is often driven from the pulpits of America. Liberals tend to be a little more apathetic when it comes to heading to the polls.

When voting time rolls around, get to the booth and CANCEL a Republican ballot . . . which is especially crucial in the "swing states."

MG2009 #49210 06/25/18 07:34 PM

When SCOTUS rules that congressional districts 300 miles long and for much of that distance are bounded by the left and right shoulders of an Interstate Highway are not discriminatory it is going to be VERY difficult to breakup the GOP hegemony in my home state. Even when virtually all of the major Christian denominations, including Roman Catholic and the Southern Baptist (politics does indeed make strange bedfellows) are opposed to them.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49211 06/25/18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
When SCOTUS rules that congressional districts 300 miles long and for much of that distance are bounded by the left and right shoulders of an Interstate Highway are not discriminatory it is going to be VERY difficult to breakup the GOP hegemony in my home state. Even when virtually all of the major Christian denominations, including Roman Catholic and the Southern Baptist (politics does indeed make strange bedfellows) are opposed to them.

You may just have to start your own militia. tongue
Alternatively, you could pack up and move north of the 49th parallel. You could even stay on the same longitude if you wanted to live in Winnipeg. Just ask for asylum when you cross at Emerson.

grelber #49217 06/26/18 08:32 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

You could even stay on the same longitude if you wanted to live in Winnipeg. Just ask for asylum when you cross at Emerson.

Or, someone might have joemike committed to an asylum just for asking to live in Winnipeg. laugh I grew up there and even now remember some -35F winter days and +90F summer days.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #49218 06/26/18 08:58 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
I grew up there and even now remember some -35F winter days and +90F summer days.

And ain't it just grand?! laugh Probably provided you with the true grit which persuaded you to pursue Ogopogo. crazy
Elsewhere on the prairies — dead north of El Paso (52°N) — yesterday it hit 31°C/88°F with humidex 34C/93F. tongue

grelber #49219 06/26/18 10:04 AM

grelber #49227 06/26/18 05:24 PM

I read the article and initially agreed with it, but in when I paused to think, this viewpoint could easily be used to justify denying splinter groups the right of free speech. I would be more comfortable with "The Ignorant Do Not Have a Right to make an Audience Attend, Listen, or in any way enforce their opinion". Even that would need a codicil that although the Ignorant do have a right to their opinion and to free speech, they do not have the right to publicly incite acts of harm or violence to others.

Then the really tricky question arises of WHO ARE THE IGNORANT. It would be all too human to assume the ignorant are anyone whose opinion is different from our own, or anyone who is from an identifiable minority group, speaks a different language, isn't financially successful; doesn't attend our church, synagogue, mosque, meeting, Gurdwara, temple, coven; has a different sexual orientation, their family did not come on the Mayflower, their ancestors were here before Columbus, are a different gender, don't have a degree or diploma, didn't graduate from the "right schools" — I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the idea.

So maybe the best construction of the authors premise would be: "EVERYONE has a RIGHT to free Speech but NO ONE has a RIGHT to an Audience".

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49228 06/26/18 06:05 PM

... this viewpoint could easily be used to justify denying splinter groups the right of free speech.

That's nowhere implied and is pretty much precluded by the discussion.

Then the really tricky question arises of WHO ARE THE IGNORANT. It would be all too human to assume the ignorant are anyone whose opinion is different from our own, or anyone who is from an identifiable minority group, speaks a different language, isn't financially successful; doesn't attend our church, synagogue, mosque, meeting, Gurdwara, temple, coven; has a different sexual orientation, their family did not come on the Mayflower, their ancestors were here before Columbus, are a different gender, don't have a degree or diploma, didn't graduate from the "right schools" ....

I think that's pretty much precluded from the way the argument is presented.

So maybe the best construction of the [author's] premise would be: "EVERYONE has a RIGHT to free Speech but NO ONE has a RIGHT to an Audience".

Isn't that what the last sentence states?
"The invincibly ignorant and the intellectual huckster have every right to express their opinions, but their right to free speech is not the right to an audience."

grelber #49237 06/27/18 10:12 PM

I totally agree that everyone has the RIGHT to Free Speech . . . BUT such should be exercised responsibly. A recent case in point : Roseanne.

grelber #49299 07/02/18 08:53 AM

grelber #49356 07/06/18 10:01 AM

Another piece of rotten, incompetent Trumpian scum bites the dust ...

Scott Pruitt Exits, Sticking You With the Tab

grelber #49359 07/06/18 01:38 PM

If the past is any guide his replacement will be even less competent and more arrogant.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49400 07/09/18 08:15 PM

Trump has reached the bottom of the barrel and is starting to dig: Why Breast-Feeding Scares Donald Trump

I read a quip that says that the devil is an optimist if he thinks that he can make people worse than they already are.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #49403 07/10/18 08:46 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Trump has reached the bottom of the barrel and is starting to dig: Why Breast-Feeding Scares Donald Trump

Following the orange-tinted Godzilla's perverted 'logic' and attitude towards women, breasts are only there for the grabbing by adults. Nursing infants just get in the way, and they aren't part of his base.

grelber #49411 07/11/18 03:08 PM

Based on Tsar Trump's comments after the NATO meeting this morning I am convinced he is either:
  1. psychotically delusional
  2. Is on some really high grade psychotropic drugs
  3. both a & b

Maybe the sane citizens of this country should offer to pay for him to take an extended rest at a really first class facility like Menninger's Psychiatric Hospital in Houston.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49412 07/11/18 04:23 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Based on Tsar Trump's comments after the NATO meeting this morning I am convinced he is either:
  1. psychotically delusional
  2. Is on some really high grade psychotropic drugs
  3. both a & b

Or

d. hoping Putin will say: "Thanks Donny. In return, we promise not to release the video."

Last edited by ryck; 07/11/18 04:28 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #49413 07/11/18 04:53 PM

Maybe the sane citizens of this country should offer to pay for him to take an extended rest at a really first class facility like Menninger's Psychiatric Hospital in Houston.

A much better alternative would be Joseph Mengele's Home for the Irreparably Delusional, and he could get a price break by offering to be an experimental subject. Keep in mind that if he doesn't offer such, they'll do it anyway.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard