Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: High Sierra Beta
alternaut #47815 02/05/18 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: artie505
Well, that's curious! confused

Dictionary is badly broken... Strange app to have gone down in flames like that.

This sure is confusing. What exactly is curious? What makes you think Dictionary is broken? And have you selected the 'All' tab in Dictionary's window to see what's available?

What I initially found curious - sorry for being a bit obscure - is that as per joemike

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
(Type "OS X" in the Apple Dictionary.)

Originally Posted By: Apple Dictionary
No entries found.

Only Wikipedia has an entry for OSX or OS X either of which jump to MacOS.

Apple Dictionary in High Sierra dropped all OS X details without even cross-referencing it to macOS.

But even more curious is that when I booted into 10.13.3 just now I found that typing "OS X" in the Apple Dictionary (search box) generates the same results seen in my 10.12.6 "curious" screenshot.

Even if the originally noted anomalies didn't leave you thinking "broken", I think that as respects them in combination with what's been introduced here and in my immediately previous post, "broken" is an appropriate word.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48404 03/27/18 05:18 PM
OP Online

Installed MacOS 10.13.3 beta 7 this morning — This could be the GM (Gold Master) but general release should be expected very shortly.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48405 03/27/18 05:29 PM

Apple's recent release schedule has been about a year, and High Sierra was released last September, so "very shortly" would be a very significant change in the schedule.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48409 03/28/18 11:22 AM

I think Joe is referring to the Golden Master for 10.13.3, not for 10.14.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #48410 03/28/18 11:30 AM

Oops! The next version of macOS couldn't possibly be at .3 already, could it? shocked

"Gold Master " threw me, because I've never heard the term used other than with respect to a new version of macOS.

And it's really 10.13.4.

artie505 #48411 03/28/18 12:44 PM
OP Online

And, it's really 10.13.4.

OOPS! blush Yes it is really MacOS 10.13.4 beta 7. To my knowledge, the use of the term Gold Master in conjunction with updates began with the public beta releases of updates. Note too that updates may contain minor new features as well as bug fixes and security patches.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48416 03/28/18 03:29 PM

Note too that updates may contain minor new features as well as bug fixes and security patches.

I just ran across one in Sierra.

When it was released, disabling Notifications left an empty space at the right hand end of my menu bar, and since I reinstalled, the Notifications icon fills the space; I had to boot into an old clone to make sure that I hadn't lost my mind. tongue

More: And with luck, 10.13.4 will fix the Keychain Access bug that's kept me in Sierra.

Last edited by artie505; 03/28/18 04:23 PM.

artie505 #48499 04/03/18 01:07 PM
OP Online

iOS 11.4 Released for Beta Testing, can MacOS 10.13.5 be far behind?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48506 04/05/18 01:18 AM
OP Online

MacOS 10.13.5 beta 1 was about 24 hours behind iOS 11.4 beta 1. If anything the install went a bit more smoothly than usual so that is good. The only new thing so far is Messages in iCloud which means if a message is deleted on one device it is automatically deleted on all devices using the same Apple account. Hallelujah!

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48517 04/07/18 11:19 PM
OP Online

CONTENT CACHING A cool new feature for those of us with multiple devices. In MacOS 10.13.4 go to System Preferences > Sharing, turn Content Caching ON, allocate some disk space for the cache and to speed things up restart. This will cause updates and app installs to be cached on the system and when other devices make the update it will get it from this cache saving a LOT of download time. According to the documentation it can take a while for other devices to become aware of the cache, but supposedly it works with MacOS 10.13.4 and iOS 11.3 devices. I have just turned it on so I cannot vouch for how well it works yet.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48522 04/09/18 03:41 PM

"…and when other devices make the update it will get it from this cache saving a LOT of download time."

So the other devices obviously must be of the same ilk: computer or iDevice, and must be on the same network or just any network? And this would be faster than a high speed Ethernet connection to the download?

Enquiring minds want to know. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #48525 04/09/18 10:49 PM
OP Online

The only test I have been able to conduct is an update to my Apple Watch. I click on update on my iPhone expecting a delay of several minutes while the update was downloaded from Apple's servers, instead the actual installation began within a few seconds — apparently it had already been cached on my server where I had set up Content Caching. My wife updated her Apple Watch today and had a similar experience.

The devices must be running at least MacOS 10.13.4, iOS 11.3, Watch OS 4.2, or TVOS 11.3. (I think I have all the OS version numbers correct but I am not certain about TVOS), and they must all be on the same LAN (Local Area Network).

My internet download speed is generally in the vicinity of 66Mbps and my WiFi network theoretically tops out at 866Mbps. So even if I were using high speed ethernet for my LAN the downloads could not be any faster than I am getting with my WiFi connection because the choke point is Spectrum's cable and their servers, not my LAN. Transferring data between devices on my LAN would be faster which would be a plus for Content Caching. By-the-way actual download speeds from the App Store seldom get anywhere close to the 66Mbps available from my ISP due to the speed of Apple's servers, the instantaneous load factors on those servers, and how internet traffic routing is managed.

You might check out this CultOfMac article. You will find instructions for setting it up in this Mac Help Note. For really complex Content Caching situations see this Apple Knowledge Base article and follow the "See Also" links at the bottom of the article.

In my case Content Caching is a particular boon because I have it set to cache ALL content which included not only App Store content but iTunes Store, as well as iCloud content such as photos and Documents.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48529 04/10/18 03:55 PM

Thanks. Good info.

The Cult of Mac article had some good observations:
"The people who will see the biggest difference are those with slow internet connections, and those with networks that have a lot of users i.e. businesses, or organizations like schools. But if you ever sat waiting for your iPhone to upload a day’s worth of photos over a slow DSL connection, you’ll love content caching too. Your iPhone will sync to the Mac instead, which can then run in the background to do the dirty work of uploading. It’ll even save your iPhone’s battery."

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #48564 04/16/18 07:40 AM

...can MacOS 10.13.5 be far behind?

I guess I hope not. tongue

My keychain issue was still an issue in a clean install of 10.13.4, and for the first time I tried updating an existing 10.12.6 installation to see if I could make an end run around it, but with no joy.

At that point I remembered that I've still got AppleCare, but the tech to whom I spoke was a new hire and not at all up to snuff. (I'll report back on my next try.)

artie505 #48568 04/16/18 02:15 PM
OP Online

...can MacOS 10.13.5 be far behind?

I guess I hope not. tongue

Actually I am already running MacOS 10.13.5 beta 1 (and iOS 11.4) — the MacOS 10.13.4 golden master was barely a week old when 10.13.5 was released to beta testing. FWIW 10.13.5 has been remarkably problem free — only one app, Airport, has evinced any problem and that problem appears to me to be due to a build control issue on the developer's part and nothing to do with MacOS.

Unless the 10.13.5 beta is unusually short I think it is a tossup whether the next release will be 10.13.6 or 10.14 or the 10.13.6 and 10.14 betas will overlap one another.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48611 04/21/18 09:13 PM
OP Online

For all "end of the model year" OS adopters the time has come to make your move.

Although there has not been any announcement of a name for High Sierra's successor, according to this 9to5Mac article most of Apple's current software development efforts are going into MacOS 10.14, iOS 12, WatchOS 5, and TVOS 12. Developer betas should be locked by mid-May so they will be available at the WWDC. in June. Public betas should be available a week or two after that.

What major new features will be added is apparently pretty well under wraps, and Apple is taking stringent measures to shut down all new product development leaks. What is pretty pretty well a certainty is the end of support for 32 bit applications so if you still have some it is time to start leaning on their developers — hard!

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48613 04/21/18 09:35 PM

...if you still have some it is time to start leaning on their developers — hard!

I've had a bit of luck in that direction, but I've met with resistance in most instances.

One developer sent me a 64 bit version of his app back in August (but still hasn't released it to the public shocked ), and another did so several months ago, but I've found that my apps that are still 32 bit at this point are from developers who've either lost interest or just don't realize that their apps' functionality is as irreplaceable today as it was when they first released them.

What bothers me particularly is that developers have refused to open-source apps that they don't intend to update. That's just plain selfish!

artie505 #48618 04/22/18 02:11 PM
OP Online

I've had a bit of luck in that direction, but I've met with resistance in most instances.

One developer sent me a 64 bit version of his app back in August (but still hasn't released it to the public shocked ), and another did so several months ago, but I've found that my apps that are still 32 bit at this point are from developers who've either lost interest or just don't realize that their apps' functionality is as irreplaceable today as it was when they first released them.

You have had better response than I have. I have already gotten rid of or replaced most of the 32 bit apps on my system, but the remainder support very useful hardware, mostly scanners. (Don't bother to suggest Vuescan as an alternative, it is one of the remaining 32 bit apps.) One developer said they won't start working on 64 versions until the full release version of MacOS that won't support 32 bit applications ships and it will take 6 months to a year for the redevelopment cycle. 👎 Another appeared to have no idea what I was talking about and said they would contact the contractor that developed the software for them in the first place. 🤞

What bothers me particularly is that developers have refused to open-source apps that they don't intend to update. That's just plain selfish!

It would not surprise me to find the coding standards and practices in many of those apps are either so idiosyncratic or just downright poor the developer is unwilling for anyone else to see how bad it is because it might hurt their chances of getting another job. (I have known at least two software "wonderkids" who took great pride in writing code that no one else could understand or maintain. They called it job security — we called it grounds for termination.)

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/22/18 10:57 PM. Reason: There is now a 64 bit version of Vuescan and it is better then the 32 bit version I had been using

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48625 04/23/18 09:58 AM

I have already gotten rid of or replaced most of the 32 bit apps on my system, but the remainder support very useful hardware, mostly scanners. (Don't bother to suggest Vuescan as an alternative, it is one of the remaining 32 bit apps.) One developer said they won't start working on 64 versions until the full release version of MacOS that won't support 32 bit applications ships and it will take 6 months to a year for the redevelopment cycle. 👎

I've been looking for replacements for my not particularly critical but nonetheless cherished apps, but with no success, and I'm afraid that Canon is going to jump on this golden opportunity to stop supporting my printer force me to buy a new printer. mad

That one developer's position doesn't make the least bit of sense, especially if se's looking to remain a developer.

It would not surprise me to find the coding standards and practices in many of those apps are either so idiosyncratic or just downright poor the developer is unwilling for anyone else to see how bad it is because it might hurt their chances of getting another job. (I have known at least two software "wonderkids" who took great pride in writing code that no one else could understand or maintain. They called it job security — we called it grounds for termination.)

Hmmm... Never looked at it that way, but it's a possibility. frown

joemikeb #48632 04/23/18 04:32 PM

(Don't bother to suggest Vuescan as an alternative, it is one of the remaining 32 bit apps.)

Just to be clear, the strikethroughs indicate VueScan is available as 64-bit, and has been for quite some time.

On a Mac since 1984.
artie505 #48639 04/23/18 07:11 PM

My SIERRA dictionary has 25 dictionary options.

joemikeb #48679 04/26/18 04:57 PM

I finally bit the Keychain Access bullet and upgraded to 10.13.4...and Finder was corrupt: command-I, command-C, and other windows and screen artifacts wouldn't close by ANY means other than quitting Finder, and neither "Restart" nor "Shut Down" worked, and "Sleep" flashed on and immediately off, both from menu bar and control-power pop-up. (Maybe more, but I threw in the towel at that point.)

Back to 10.12.6....waiting for 10.13.5.

Aaargh!!!

MG2009 #48687 04/27/18 11:46 AM

Got me beat!

/Applications/Dictionary.app > Prefs still shows me 31.

artie505 #48690 04/27/18 01:40 PM
OP Online

I finally bit the Keychain Access bullet and upgraded to 10.13.4...and Finder was corrupt: command-I, command-C, and other windows and screen artifacts wouldn't close by ANY means other than quitting Finder, and neither "Restart" nor "Shut Down" worked, and "Sleep" flashed on and immediately off, both from menu bar and control-power pop-up.

As a beta tester I am installing upgrades every few weeks and I never have any problems — but then my user and keychain passwords are the same. Specifically what upgrade process did you follow? Have you considered changing your keychain password to match your user password then after updating changing your keychain password back to whatever you want it to be? Certainly not ideal but if it works you could use it as a workaround.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48692 04/27/18 02:11 PM
OP Online

BREAKING NEWS FOR ARTIE:

Check this OS X Daily article. This might explain your bad upgrade.

— Albert Einstein
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard