FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Duplex AC USB Chargers
#48507 04/05/18 02:52 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Has anyone installed in their home one of those duplex AC outlets with the built-in USB chargers? If so, what did you choose and why?

In our kitchen one of our outlets is always having things unplugged in order to plug chargers in and, when my daughter visits, the plug-o-mania extends to a second outlet. I figure there must be an easier way.

However, with the concerns expressed elsewhere about the dangers of poorly designed chargers, it'd be good to know if anyone has researched the chargers in the AC/USB combos. I'd just as soon not have a fire potential built into the wall.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Duplex AC USB Chargers
ryck #48509 04/05/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Has anyone installed in their home one of those duplex AC outlets with the built-in USB chargers? If so, what did you choose and why?

In our kitchen one of our outlets is always having things unplugged in order to plug chargers in and, when my daughter visits, the plug-o-mania extends to a second outlet. I figure there must be an easier way.

However, with the concerns expressed elsewhere about the dangers of poorly designed chargers, it'd be good to know if anyone has researched the chargers in the AC/USB combos. I'd just as soon not have a fire potential built into the wall.

I bought two of the aftermarket wall plates that plugs into a dual outlet and provides SIX regular convenience outlets, in addition to two USB ports. I use them frequently without problems. And if there IS a fire or overheat, it happens out where I can see it.

Bear in mind that the IN WALL variety replace the outlet in the wall, which is INSDE a metal or nonflammable plastic box, which greatly reduces the chances of a fire spreading should sparks or fire be produced inside the box.

I like the exterior ones I have though because I can move them around if needed and offer more convenience outlets. But someday I may install a few of the internal ones around the house.

The external units I got were only about $10 ea. That was on sale, a typical unit costs around $15.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #48510 04/05/18 08:59 PM

I have several different versions of the kind that plug into the regular wall socket and is secured in place with an extended wall plate screw. My favorite is a Tripp-Lite that in addition to being a surge protector has 4 USB sockets, 3 110v sockets, and a pull out tray that can hold an iPhone while it is charging. As I recall it cost between $15 and $18 on Amazon.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #48512 04/06/18 12:55 AM

If you buy a reputable brand like Hubbell, Eaton, Bryant, Leviton, etc., then the USB charger should be fine.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Bob_00001 #48516 04/07/18 03:28 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob_00001
If you buy a reputable brand like Hubbell, Eaton, Bryant, Leviton, etc., then the USB charger should be fine.

My Home Depot carries Leviton duplex outlets c/w USB 2. I assume it only means that a USB 3 device would charge a bit slower.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard