FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sierra/AdobeCS5/Suitcase Fusion 6
#41964 09/26/16 12:13 PM
OP Offline

I upgraded to Sierra over a Yosemite system. I only have a couple difficulties:

I've been managing my fonts with Suitcase Fusion 6, using Kurt Lang's suggestions for a minimum font install in the System/Library/Fonts and Library/Fonts.

InDesign refused to see fonts controlled by Suitcase. I resorted to deleting Suitcase and managing my fonts with Font Book. It was a very laborious procedure, but InDesign and all other AdobeCS applications see the fonts okay.

InDesign will often "quit unexpectedly" when I quit the application. Illustrator does as well, but it did that under El Capitan, too.

Anyone else experiencing font problems/coming up with solutions?

(Edit) I also get a very scrambled print window when trying to print from Acrobat Pro 9.5.5. I've had to download Acrobat Reader and print PDFs from that.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Re: Sierra/AdobeCS5/Suitcase Fusion 6
freelance #48497 04/03/18 07:42 AM
OP Offline

It's two years since I asked these questions. I tried Sierra and went back to Yosemite. Time passes and things improve...

I've finally made the leap from Yosemite to High Sierra with the 10.13.4 combo update.

I have abandoned Suitcase, which I used for 20 years. I'm retired and don't need 2K fonts at my fingertips any more. Font Book is fine for my needs now, so I don't have to invest in Suitcase 8.

The Acrobat Pro 9.5.5 printing problem seems to have disappeared.

The only remaining issue was the "Indesign/Photoshop/Illustrator quit unexpectedly" dialog every time I quit these CS5 applications. Amazingly, yesterday, I stumbled upon a solution to the problem. It's a bit long-winded, so if you're interested, reply to this post.

Cheers, Jerry

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #48502 04/03/18 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
I'm retired and don't need 2K fonts at my fingertips any more.

I'm always amazed by huge font libraries. (I remember one poster with 10k fonts, and I imagine that there are bigger libraries than that.)

Are your 2k fonts an actual working database, or did it just get to be a collection after a while.

Can you really put your finger on precisely THE right font out of 2,000 or 10,000 of them?

Just wondering.

I recently trashed around 150 fonts that I had in ~/Library/Fonts going back to OS X 10.2/Jaguar days (when Apple actually gave us stuff like that), and with those still in place I had about 400, half of which looked identical when I scrolled through Font Book.

Being be able to hit on precisely the right font is, indeed, quite a (rare?) talent.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48503 04/03/18 06:23 PM
OP Offline

My fonts are a collection from every place I ever worked. Client fonts, bulk library purchases, freebie downloads, etc.

I spent hours/days/weeks organizing them into font categories: scripts, casual, headliners, families, etc.

When you needed something for a logotype, yes, you would spend the time to find precisely the right font.

The supplied Apple fonts are enough for me now, though I still use Quay Sans and Expert Sans for my letterhead and other personal stuff. I still have 30 fonts added to my user/library/fonts, some from Adobe, some from LibreOffice, which I expect will replace the Adobe products some day.

Suitcase was very good for managing loads of fonts and getting quick previews of fonts that weren't even installed. I'm liking Font Book now.

artie505 #48505 04/03/18 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: freelance
I'm retired and don't need 2K fonts at my fingertips any more.

I'm always amazed by huge font libraries. (I remember one poster with 10k fonts, and I imagine that there are bigger libraries than that.)

Oh dear lord yes. Go check out a newspaper or publisher's computer.

One of my first big "on-site" jobs was to a newspaper. We were upgrading their computers and sooooo many fonts, scattered everywhere. One of their biggest problems was they'd pass off a document to someone else and the font would change, because they didn't have one specific font on their computer as the author did.

And they had fonts that were TWO font-types back from current, I'm amazed they still worked at all. We ended up buying Font Foundary (iirc) for them for its organizing, collecting, combining, and error checking. I think I ran 8 computers through there, each of which had 3-7 different folders of fonts at up to 15,000 fonts in a folder)

after deleting corrupt fonts, updating types, merging families, fixing names, and deduping, I think I had one master folder of 34,000 fonts to distribute to all the computers. Took all day!

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard