FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Safari may have broken autofill log-ins
jchuzi #48467 03/31/18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I think that Urquhart means Safari > Preferences > Passwords, not Keychain Access (which is an app separate from Safari).

Oh, I assumed Safari used the Keychain for that, as I find the same entries in Keychain Access, with annotation “Kind: Web form password”.

In my experience, login form fields show a drop-down menu with the key icon when you click there, where I can select the username, and it auto-fills the password. Does it work differently for you?
In my experience, the previous version of Safari showed that key icon only in the password field, if I remember correctly. Now, with the 11.1 update, that icon appears in either field, the one where you click to put focus. Here’s a visual: https://i.imgur.com/2YxfsIw.png. That is the change than I noticed.

ryck #48468 03/31/18 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Would that be why I get two choices, one with a correct Name and one with a correct Email Address, but both specifying "From this site", and yet only one works?
I have found that on sites that use two-step login authentication when you enter the "real" userid and password the site then sets up a one time login id for actual site access and then emails, texts, voicemails the associated temporal password to you. (I used the term temporal because it is only good for several seconds before it expires.) Those are one time IDs but apparently Safari still records them as having been used to logon to that site. I have no idea of how long that memory persists but it doesn't appear to be forever.

Postscript: I haven't had a chance to verify this yet, but it just occured to me that since my iOS devices share the same Keychain information with my MacOS devices, some of those unrecognizable "from this account" ids may be login ids generated for use with facial and fingerprint authentication??? shocked

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/31/18 07:23 PM. Reason: Add Postscript

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #48471 03/31/18 09:53 PM

Unfortunately I had to re-signin in on all my sites this morning. Apparently the sign-in now lasts for only 1 day where previously it would last 1 to 2 weeks.

Urquhart #48475 04/01/18 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Urquhart
I think that Urquhart means Safari > Preferences > Passwords, not Keychain Access (which is an app separate from Safari).

Oh, I assumed Safari used the Keychain for that, as I find the same entries in Keychain Access, with annotation “Kind: Web form password”.

Safari's AutoFill info is stored in your keychain, but your referring to its drop-down menu as "the Keychain Access drop-down menu" is non-standard.

Originally Posted By: Urquhart
In my experience, the previous version of Safari showed that key icon only in the password field, if I remember correctly. Now, with the 11.1 update, that icon appears in either field, the one where you click to put focus. Here’s a visual: https://i.imgur.com/2YxfsIw.png. That is the change than I noticed.

I'm not sure which field, if either, was automatically selected in Safari 11.0.3, but I do remember the drop-down having been below "Password" rather than covering it.

In addition to the two current configurations shown in your screenshot, though, there's a third one with which I'm automatically presented at every FTM login attempt.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Douglas #48476 04/01/18 08:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Douglas
Unfortunately I had to re-signin in on all my sites this morning. Apparently the sign-in now lasts for only 1 day where previously it would last 1 to 2 weeks.

I just discovered that all my AutoFill "Password never saved" items have disappeared from my keychain since I updated to Safari 11.1; if it's recurring, it will be a nuisance!

I think this has happened to me before. Can you link me to your earlier thread in which I may have posted about it?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48478 04/01/18 02:17 PM

Here is my previous post on this issue.

https://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbt...46553#Post46553

Douglas #48479 04/01/18 03:05 PM

Thanks, but it's not what I was hoping for.

Last edited by artie505; 04/01/18 03:06 PM.

artie505 #48490 04/02/18 01:16 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
In addition to the two current configurations shown in your screenshot, though, there's a third one with which I'm automatically presented at every FTM login attempt.

That's the one I'm getting now but never got prior to Safari 11.1.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #48493 04/02/18 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Would that be why I get two choices, one with a correct Name and one with a correct Email Address, but both specifying "From this site", and yet only one works?

I am seeing exactly what you are after the Safari update: the login info is no longer automatically populated AND I get a popup with multiple choices.

The latter could be a security measure to require multiple attempts, although a nefarious user might have the patience to try all of them; or a password on a site may have been legitimately changed and Safari is just picking up all instances.

Regardless, things have changed and nothing seems to be broken. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #48496 04/02/18 10:55 PM

I see the same thing. One positive result is that I can log into my account at my local library, which Safari couldn't do before. The reason, apparently, was that my login ID is labeled Barcode instead of User ID or some other name. The previous versions of Safari didn't recognize that label and I had to type the number manually. Now, I can get Autofill complete the field.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #48508 04/05/18 02:57 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

One positive result is that I can log into my account at my local library, which Safari couldn't do before.

Now that I've been living with the new log-in for a while, I've noticed something else that may be a benefit - if it's not simply coincidence. At the FTM log-in I had often been getting a "Safari cannot open that page" dialogue and I would need to log-in a second time. That hasn't been happening.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard