Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Safari may have broken autofill log-ins
#48428 03/30/18 04:56 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I've never had any issues with my log-in to FTM. I had checked "Remember me on each visit" and, thereafter, clicking on Log In autofilled the name and password.

This morning I updated Safari to 11.1 and autofill no longer works even though, at every log-in, I specified "remember Me". And, one of the choices that pops up is an email I haven't used for a year.

And, so far, the same thing is happening at another site although it doesn't suggest the old email.

Do I need to clear something out, or restore something from my backups?

Last edited by ryck; 03/30/18 05:03 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Safari may have broken autofill log-ins
ryck #48429 03/30/18 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
This morning I updated Safari to 11.1 and autofill no longer works even though, at every log-in, I specified "remember Me". And, one of the choices that pops up is an email I haven't used for a year.

One of what choices?

Thanks for the heads-up; I was, literally, 15 seconds from updating, but now I'll wait.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48430 03/30/18 06:03 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
One of what choices?

It looks to me like two choices from my keychain. The pop-up box has a picture of a key beside which is my name. The pop-up box also has a picture of a second key beside which is my current email address. Under each are the words “From this site”.

For some reason, this time around, it did not have the one with the old email.

Beneath the two selections, there is a separate line with “Other Passwords”. Clicking on it brings up a dialogue box “Safari Passwords Are Locked. To unlock Safari Passwords, enter the passwords for the user “_____”.

When logging into FTM, clicking on the right choice pops in the password and I enter the site, so it's not the end of the world. However it is a bit of a pain because it was so much easier before when, as soon as I clicked on "Log In", the User Name and Password were automatically entered.

Last edited by ryck; 03/30/18 07:16 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #48435 03/30/18 08:28 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Autofill is unrelated to FTM's "Remember me on each visit" option.

Regardless of your browser's autofill settings, if you check the "Remember me" box at FTM when you log in you will remain logged in until you log out (either deliberately or when your FTM cookies expire). IOW, check the box, log in, don't log out, and you'll automagically be logged in whenever you come to the Forums.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #48436 03/30/18 08:38 PM

ryck seems to be saying that when he does log out of FTM the login box is not automagically filled in by Safari when he tries to log in again.

Last edited by artie505; 03/31/18 10:14 AM. Reason: Delete incorrect part

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #48437 03/30/18 08:40 PM

This may help: When I go to FTM's My Stuff tab and update my profile, I get an option to have Safari save my password, which happens to be the incorrect one (I opted not to save it). If I change it to the correct one, it reverts to the incorrect one. Consequently, I went to Safari > Preferences > Passwords, entered my admin password to access them, and then searched for FineTunedMac. I deleted the incorrect one and that allows me to log in via Autofill.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
ryck #48441 03/30/18 09:02 PM

Nothing is broken, that is the way it works now, and has worked for some time in Safari Technology Preview. I know that assumptions are always risky, but my assumption has been this is security related, but I don't know what the reasoning behind it is. I do know that on some sites in addition to being presented with options "from this site" I have "From iCloud Keychain", encrypted ids from the site I am accessing, and if I go far enough down the list I get to "other passwords" and clicking on that option asks for my userid password to open the Safari password list and you can then choose any password from that list.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #48443 03/30/18 10:53 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

ryck seems to be saying that when he does log out of FTM the login box is not automagically filled in by Safari when he tries to log in again.

That's correct.....and it has always autofilled prior to today's Safari update.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #48444 03/30/18 10:58 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
This may help: When I go to FTM's My Stuff tab and update my profile, I get an option to have Safari save my password.....

I just gave that a shot and changed my password. However, I wasn't offered the "Safari save my password" option. I then logged out and logged in, but got the same dialogue box as earlier.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #48445 03/30/18 11:02 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Nothing is broken, that is the way it works now, and has worked for some time in Safari Technology Preview

Okay. So, to make sure I understand.....if artie now updates his Safari, he would get the same kind of log-in if he was ever to log-out?

Last edited by ryck; 03/30/18 11:03 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #48447 03/31/18 12:40 AM

Okay. So, to make sure I understand.....if artie now updates his Safari, he would get the same kind of log-in if he was ever to log-out?

If Artie updates to MacOS 10.13.4 he will automatically get Safari 11.1 in the bargain, and if he updates to Safari 11.1 in an earlier version of MacOS the results will be the same.

NOTE: this only occurs when the site specifically prompts for userid and password entry to access the specific site. If you have previously logged into a site and checked the "Remember me" option (which stores the login in a cookie and not in Safari, iCloud, keychain, etc. the userid and password will not have to be re-entered until the cookie expires (that time limit is set in the cookie by the site developer but HTML standards impose a maximum life of one year) or the user deletes the cookie in a fit of house cleaning. There is a myriad of possible variations, but this seems to be the basic scheme.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48450 03/31/18 01:51 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Interesting......I just came to the site with my iPad and the log-in information loaded as soon as the site loaded.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #48451 03/31/18 04:21 AM

This is exactly what I reported on this forum after the previous update of Safari. Apparently wan't happening to anyone else. I think it is a cookie problem. I've deleted all the files in the ~Library - Cookie folder and that didn't alter the behavior.

What is really strange, I updated to Safari 11.1 this morning and so far I'm not having any trouble with long-ins when I check the 'remember me' box. I'll see how tomorrow goes

I'm sorry you are experiencing this problem, ryck, but at least now I know I'm not crazy.

ryck #48452 03/31/18 10:08 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I've never had any issues with my log-in to FTM. I had checked "Remember me on each visit" and, thereafter, clicking on Log In autofilled the name and password.

This morning I updated Safari to 11.1 and autofill no longer works even though, at every log-in, I specified "remember Me"

Originally Posted By: cyn
Autofill is unrelated to FTM's "Remember me on each visit" option.

Regardless of your browser's autofill settings, if you check the "Remember me" box at FTM when you log in you will remain logged in until you log out (either deliberately or when your FTM cookies expire). IOW, check the box, log in, don't log out, and you'll automagically be logged in whenever you come to the Forums.

Seems like my post might not have been fully absorbed, so allow me to try again.

Whether you check the "Remember me on each visit" box or don't has zero effect on autofilling of the Username and Password fields. The point of the "Remember me" feature is simply and solely to keep you logged in, so if you're going to log out anyway then checking the box serves no purpose. In fact, leave it unchecked and you can even skip the log-out step, it'll just automagically happen when your session expires.

Can't help with the autofill issue itself, but hopefully I've cleared up the confusion with the "Remember me" feature.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
ryck #48453 03/31/18 10:16 AM

Nothing is broken, that is the way it works now, and has worked for some time in Safari Technology Preview

I updated and logged out of FTM to see what would happen, and I got the same dialog box that you got, but it's nothing new; I've gotten the same box for some time now.

cyn #48454 03/31/18 10:18 AM

We crossed, cyn.

I finally absorbed what you said and was deleting my comment as you posted.

As per my immediately preceding post, ryck's problem is not a problem nor is it new.

ryck #48455 03/31/18 02:05 PM

Returning to the preamble to the original complaint ...

Using Firefox (now Firefox Quantum) I find this weird. Once logging into FTM (such as after the auto-login has expired) — which autofills because it's so designated in Firefox — and checking "Remember me", every time I click on my FTM bookmark, it immediately opens the home page — ie, there's no going to the signin page and no autofill.
Maybe that's how Safari handles things, which is another good reason to use Firefox.

grelber #48456 03/31/18 02:46 PM

On a tangential note: The latest Safari update moved the Keychain Access drop-down menu, in the username and password fields, from the latter to the first. Which makes sense, as one normally clicks first in the username field.

grelber #48457 03/31/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Once logging into FTM (such as after the auto-login has expired) — which autofills because it's so designated in Firefox — and checking "Remember me", every time I click on my FTM bookmark, it immediately opens the home page — ie, there's no going to the signin page and no autofill.

That's how Safari works; ryck's problem was that he was logging out of FTM after each visit.

Urquhart #48458 03/31/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Urquhart
On a tangential note: The latest Safari update moved the Keychain Access drop-down menu, in the username and password fields, from the latter to the first. Which makes sense, as one normally clicks first in the username field.

Sorry, but I don't follow that.

artie505 #48459 03/31/18 03:36 PM

I think that Urquhart means Safari > Preferences > Passwords, not Keychain Access (which is an app separate from Safari).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #48460 03/31/18 03:49 PM

That's what I think, too, but I still don't follow what the change is.

joemikeb #48462 03/31/18 04:24 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Nothing is broken, that is the way it works now, and has worked for some time in Safari Technology Preview.

I updated and logged out of FTM to see what would happen, and I got the same dialog box that you got, but it's nothing new; I've gotten the same box for some time now.

As per my immediately preceding post, ryck's problem is not a problem nor is it new.

Except, this is absolutely brand new Safari behaviour for some.

Originally Posted By: Douglas
This is exactly what I reported on this forum after the previous update of Safari.

Okay, I don't want to keep beating a dead horse but, assuming Douglas and I are the only ones experiencing a change in Safari’s login behaviour, what would be the reason that:

a) everyone else has been getting the box with the keys and choices all along, but we haven’t?

b) my iPad has a totally different and easier approach?

Last edited by ryck; 03/31/18 04:26 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #48463 03/31/18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Returning to the preamble to the original complaint ...

Using Firefox (now Firefox Quantum) I find this weird. Once logging into FTM (such as after the auto-login has expired) — which autofills because it's so designated in Firefox — and checking "Remember me", every time I click on my FTM bookmark, it immediately opens the home page — ie, there's no going to the signin page and no autofill.
Maybe that's how Safari handles things, which is another good reason to use Firefox.

What you are describing as happening in Firefox Quantum is exactly what has been happening for many years and is still happening in Safari and all other standards compliant browsers. When "Remember Me" is set the browser stores cookie on the host computer that the site was successfully logged onto and there is no need to go through the logon process again. There is no automatic fill in or prompting for the userid or password because the cookie "REMEMBERS" you are logged on and bypasses that step. The ONLY time the remembered site will prompt for a userID/Password is when the cookie is either allowed to expire or has been deleted (in other words the logon has been forgotten).

I can personally attest that Safari, Safari Technology Preview, Chromium, Chrome, Firefox, Slepnir, and TOR browsers all work the same way. As they should since all are built to conform to the same W3C standards.

What has changed in Safari and safari Technology Preview is the Automatic Fill In procedure which has been adapted to provide access to multiple keychains from multiple sources including the MacOS keychain, the iCloud Keychain, and Safari's own userid/password store.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48466 03/31/18 06:07 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

What has changed in Safari and safari Technology Preview is the Automatic Fill In procedure which has been adapted to provide access to multiple keychains from multiple sources including the MacOS keychain, the iCloud Keychain, and Safari's own userid/password store.

Would that be why I get two choices, one with a correct Name and one with a correct Email Address, but both specifying "From this site", and yet only one works?

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard