An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Anyone using Office? Advice on upgrading.
#48280 03/20/18 11:30 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Anyone else using Office 2011? Should I upgrade to 2016? They just stopped supporting 2011.

There is nothing I need beyond what I have, but I did read that 2016 is good. Any opinons? Could 2011 stop working with Mac OS sooner than 2011? Thanks

Re: Anyone using Office? Advice on upgrading.
kevs #48281 03/21/18 12:16 AM

I'm still getting updates to 2011...got one today, so they haven't stopped supporting it just yet, but since it's 32 bit, it will run only through macOS 10.14 (the next version, which is due out in the fall), but maybe not with full functionality, and it absolutely will NOT run in macOS 10.15.

I use only Excel, and plan to switch to Apple's Numbers, which looks like it won't be a problem for me once I get over the GUI shock; I'll lose available functionality, but none that's necessary.

I haven't investigated 2016, but I expect that it's 64 bit and will run after 2011 has become a dead issue.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48282 03/21/18 12:44 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Artie so 2011 wont work long term? Darn But I'm thinking of Office 2016, which is still a one time stand alone price, not subscription... That will have same functionality. I only use Word and Excel. 2

BTW, I see offers for $30 but would you only trust buying from Microsoft?

Also I have old copy of Quicken for Mac 2007, which I'm happy with. Their new version 2108 is subscription only which I loathe-- to pay annually. Will that stop working with future Quicken 2007 ?
computers?

I've never heard about this 32 bit issue. Everything has to be beyond 32 bit?

kevs #48283 03/21/18 01:19 AM

I can't give you any real details, but I can tell you that apps are either 32 or 64 bit, and that ALL your 32 bit apps will cease to be functional in macOS 10.15. (I expect that I'm not the only one here who's going to lose cherished, irreplaceable apps. frown )

I'm still considering Office 2016 (if I can't get acclimated to Numbers), which I'd buy on eBay, as I did with Office 2008 and 2011, but only in original, sealed Microsoft packaging. (I once bought an Office 2011 cheapie on eBay, and it turned out to NOT be a d/l from Microsoft as advertised. eBay took care of me, though...even banged the offender for $8 return postage on a useless CD, and I learned my lesson in the bargain.)

I've got no knowledge of Quicken, but I'll guess that the 2007 version is 32 bit.

The "smart" (read "greedy") developers out there, one of which I'll guess is Microsoft, saved 64 bit as an excuse to force users into a paid upgrade.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48284 03/21/18 01:28 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Interesting stuff, now gotta go to 64 bit..
But now no packaging..? All download... and worse going to yearly subscription?

Others try Numbers?

kevs #48285 03/21/18 01:50 AM

I hope that if any of my apps ever require my going on a subscription basis I'll be able to find replacements.

As an experiment, you can launch Numbers and use command-O to open an Excel file to get an idea of what its GUI looks like; you can also experiment with its functionality and just not "Save Changes".

kevs #48286 03/21/18 02:33 AM

Office for Mac 2016 is a stand alone suite of programs that lives on your computer just like Office for Mac 2011......Office 365 is the subscription version of those same Office 2016 programs and requires an annual renewal to keep functioning.

I've purchased and installed the Office 2016 suite and it works just fine.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #48287 03/21/18 02:39 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Mac, yes I knew it was standalone, sadly, it probably is last before they go to the gauging subscription method that Adobe pioneered right?

Do you concur with Art that software's will need to be 64 bit?

How do you like 2016? How much did you pay and where did you buy?

If Art is right about 64 bit, then I should get it in any case right?

On Microsofs website it says "For One Mac", what does that mean?

Last edited by kevs; 03/21/18 03:57 AM.
artie505 #48289 03/21/18 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I'm still getting updates to 2011...got one today, so they haven't stopped supporting it just yet, ...

Hah?!

The last (and apparently final) update was 14.7.7 on September 7, 2017. What did you get?

grelber #48290 03/21/18 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Originally Posted By: artie505
I'm still getting updates to 2011...got one today, so they haven't stopped supporting it just yet, ...

Hah?!

The last (and apparently final) update was 14.7.7 on September 7, 2017. What did you get?

Huh? I got 14.7.7, dated 9-7-2017, for at least the third time, now that I think about it.

Dunno what's up with that.

artie505 #48293 03/21/18 11:31 AM

FWIW: My Office 2011 apps themselves did not get an update yesterday, but the AutoUpdate piece did. It is now version 3.17.18031100 (21 Mar 18).

Perhaps that's what happened...

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #48294 03/21/18 11:53 AM

Thanks for that, Harv.

I've got the same version of AutoUpdate as you've got, so that's probably what my update was; I never look at what Microsoft has bestowed upon me...just click on "Go!" shocked

As I said, I've gotten multiple 2011 updates since Microsoft stoped supporting it, so I guess they've all been to extraneous components of 2011, maybe all to AutoUpdate, rather than to the apps themselves.

Which of course leaves me wondering why Microsoft is updating the auto-update component of an app that's no longer being updated? confused

kevs #48296 03/21/18 02:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mac, yes I knew it was standalone, sadly, it probably is last before they go to the gauging subscription method that Adobe pioneered right?

Do you concur with Art that software's will need to be 64 bit?

How do you like 2016? How much did you pay and where did you buy?

If Art is right about 64 bit, then I should get it in any case right?

On Microsofs website it says "For One Mac", what does that mean?

I agree that 64 bit applications are soon to become a requirement to work under future versions of Mac OS.....for now, 32 bit apps are still supported through the current Mac OS. I updated to Office 2016 for this reason. I watched for a discounted sale version through several online vendors, and ultimately pulled the trigger using Fry's Electronics. It was about 25% off of suggested retail.....

At some point in the future, you will need to face the 64 bit issue with replacement apps for those programs you wish to continue using once 32 bit apps are no longer supported.

"For one Mac" is the legal phraseology in the license agreement....it simply means that Microsoft doesn't want to allow you to use their software on multiple computers. It implies that you will need to buy a new license if you change computers, but that was not my experience when I migrated to my new computer. The new me still had a functional Office suite while the old me retained functionality as well.....legally, I did the right thing by removing Office 2016 from my prior MBP before passing it to its' new owner.

MacManiac #48299 03/21/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
"For one Mac" is the legal phraseology in the license agreement....it simply means that Microsoft doesn't want to allow you to use their software on multiple computers. It implies that you will need to buy a new license if you change computers, but that was not my experience when I migrated to my new computer. The new me still had a functional Office suite while the old me retained functionality as well.....legally, I did the right thing by removing Office 2016 from my prior MBP before passing it to its' new owner.

When I worked for Microsoft Tech Support the official interpretation of "for one Mac" was you could only use it on one Mac at a time. Other phraseology in the license agreement permitted installation on a work computer and a home computer but legally you could not have the Microsoft app open on both computers AT THE SAME TIME. Enforcing that turned out to be highly problematic and I believe was a significant driving factor in Microsoft's decision to go to a software leasing model as opposed to sales. (A bigger driving factor in that decision was market saturation in a declining market and the necessity to generate stable cash flow to keep Microsoft in business.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48300 03/21/18 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
legally you could not have the Microsoft app open on both computers AT THE SAME TIME. Enforcing that turned out to be highly problematic and I believe was a significant driving factor in Microsoft's decision to go to a software leasing model as opposed to sales.

Adobe (luckily) still allows [1.1] office and home copies (2 devices, but not in use simultaneously), even with their leasing model, just as before the leasing model. How their software is used is easier to track now, and it is easier to do something about (serious) license violations.

MacManiac #48304 03/21/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac

When I got my new MBP I had forgotten that my Office 2011 was "For One Mac Only", so I didn't uninstall it from my old one, but, same as you, I was able to install it all the same. (My old MBP went back to Apple, so my having failed to uninstall it was legally inconsequential.)

MacManiac #48306 03/21/18 04:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Mac, does the one computer mean I can have it on my desktop and my laptop without having to pay twice? (this is what all previous version have allowed), still confused. Though when I do upgrade either of those it is indeed a pita with office to get it back on. Will that be an issue? But you think it should be one time fee for both laptop and desktop?

I see it advertised $29 on I think bonanza site, this guy selling it says it's good for 5 devices. I called him on phone, and he was nice/ professional, seems ok but who knows? You wonder if Chinese/ Russians have invented a perfect clone and are selling around..? Is there a way to preview 2016 office to see what it looks like first from microsoft?

BTW Artie mentioned numbers. I'm Excel Word guy for 15 years, could you get used to using Numbers? They would both convert word/ excel files ok? I still think easy to get Office 2016 for one time fee, and should last another 5-6 years, but then it's toast right once subscription only, concur? How do you like 2016 vs 2011?

Joe, thanks! "or one Mac" was you could only use it on one Mac at a time"
Ok finally have an definitive answer.... and I never use it more than on one Mac at a time, so laptop/ desktop should be ok as before?

Leasing, I'm going it with Adobe now $10 month, but I get LIghtroom and PS and free Portfolio. For Office or Quicken Leasing is about 5 times as expensive as before.

kevs #48312 03/21/18 05:28 PM

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is....."

That sounds very much to me like an eBay / CraigsList scam for pirated software.

YMMV / Buyer beware....

MacManiac #48313 03/21/18 05:34 PM

I bought my scam-ware Office 2011 on eBay...risked it only because I know they do a good job of covering users' butts.

I wouldn't risk any other source!

artie505 #48315 03/21/18 06:59 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Mac, but the guy advertising on I think Bonanaza.com, lot good reviews. Answers phone... Not worth a shot? $30!

(then where would you buy after that.. $129 Amazon, which is a tad better than $150 Microsoft)

kevs #48320 03/21/18 10:04 PM

The Amazon price is close to the best legitimate price that I've seen on the open market....FWIW, my price was under $120.

MacManiac #48321 03/21/18 10:38 PM

kevs may be able to do better on eBay, but navigating the options, the "Buy It Now" options in particular, is NOT easy, and an unwary buyer can be mesmerized by price and wind up with a headache.

Microsoft Office Home & Business 2016 for Mac

and

MS Microsoft Office MAC 2016 Home and Business for 1 User 1 Mac

both look good to me, BUT THAT'S ONLY ME.

(As a matter of fact, I'm going to keep an eye on both.)

artie505 #48322 03/21/18 10:58 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Mac where did you buy?

You would not buy from Artie's Ebay links correct?

kevs #48327 03/22/18 01:26 AM

After talking up a $30 option with no real idea of what you'd actually be getting, why are you so quick to talk down sealed Microsoft packaging backed by eBay's Buyer Protection Policy?

artie505 #48328 03/22/18 03:11 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Is 2016 software still sealed? Isn't all downloads now?

What all think ---legit?

Can't it be Chinese counterfeit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard