An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Way to delete contiguous multiple icloud.com?
artie505 #47986 02/14/18 02:42 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok setting all of Joe's settings, and I already seeing new activity (it's bringing back old deleted shots into my laptop I don't want!)

But let's see if if all settles downs and synchronized across lap/ desktop in couple days. Will remember that in case I need to fully nuke out images.

kevs #47988 02/14/18 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Ok setting all of Joe's settings, and I already seeing new activity (it's bringing back old deleted shots into my laptop I don't want!)

Those old deleted shots were/are hanging around somewhere in the system, maybe on iCloud, or I am betting on your iPhone, but they were/are obviously somewhere where they had not been deleted. They are showing up again/now because all of your systems are getting into synch via the iCloud Library.

My suggestion would be to use Photos on either your Desktop or your Laptop and delete them (it is much easier to select and delete groups of images on MacOS than it is on iOS or iCloud.) Because your Libraries are all synched (in fact mirror the iCloud Library) deleting them on either MacOS device will delete those unwanted images from iCloud and therefore from all your devices. With is what you want.

AN OBSERVATION: When you drag an image from Photos to say your desktop on your MacOS devices, if you watch the image icon title closely you may notice the size and resolution of the image will increase over a period of a few seconds. This is because the image in Photos is "optimized" for viewing on your Desktop/Laptop screen and there is a slight lag while the full resolution and size image is quickly downloaded from Photos on iCloud. (I hadn't observed/noticed this until I was experimenting to be sure of my facts in this thread — thanks for filling in that blank. cool )

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #47998 02/14/18 06:25 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Excellent Joe. So then no need to upload or download through icloud.com anymore? I've been doing that -- just take photos on phone and then download to desktop with image capture software.

The photos I take on the phone, just wait till they are in desktop photos and drag to desktop?

Same with bringing images on my hardrive at home to iphone?

kevs #48001 02/15/18 02:41 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ok Joe! Everything is coming up roses. All the devices are syncing, and not only did we solved the selection issue, but even conquered something super tedious I was not expecting: I no longer have to plug in my phone to the desktop and download iphone image to the desktop....amazing, I've been doing that rigormoral for the full three years I've had a smartphone. Thank again....

artie505 #48200 03/11/18 08:58 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Update on thread. Everything is synced and I'm free from having to visit icloud, which is great; but I added 16 photos to photos on desktop 2 days ago, and they are still not on photos on iphone, nor the laptop photos... so..? frustrating.. anything one can do?

kevs #48204 03/12/18 01:13 PM

That would be frustrating. A few of questions.
  1. Have you gone into Photos on iCloud to see if the new images are there?
  2. On your Mac: Photos > Preferences > iCloud is "My Photo Stream" checked?
  3. On your iOS devices: Settings > Photos is "Upload to My Photo stream" turned ON?
  4. On your iOS Devices: Are they turned on and connected to WiFI?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48205 03/12/18 02:01 PM

I was just editing my Photos Library, deleting a LOT of old Albums dating back as far as 2004 that had migrated through several versions/revisions of iPhotos, Photos, etc. and I happened to have iCloud open in a Safari window at the same time. I had been working for perhaps ten minutes when a popup appeared on the Photos icon in iCloud announcing "the database was undergoing maintenance and was not available". iCloud icon.

That should give you and me both, some idea of how quickly the synch occurs. By the way, those changes appeared on my iPad (which was locked and plugged in) by the time I could get to it to check.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/12/18 02:12 PM. Reason: add iPad comment

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48208 03/12/18 07:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, no the 16 photos have not gone to icloud photos, just checked which I hate to do as it involves the tedious log in. Those 16 photos added to desktop photos have not synced anywhere else.

Desktop, yes photo stream is checked.
iphone, turned on and connected to wifi, yes... but I often often turn them off too. Sometimes the laptop is off.. but they both will go on again at some point throughout the days for hours and hours.

Last night though, I took an iphone photo at a restaurant, and that one shot is everywhere: desktop, laptop, icloud.

But the 16 images I dragged into photos, desktop, two days ago is still only on the desktop. real bummer. I was hoping they would swiftly been seen on all other devices. Now 2 days.

Last edited by kevs; 03/12/18 07:42 PM.
kevs #48210 03/13/18 01:49 AM

In Photos the left hand column under Library you will see an item labeled "imports". Look there on your other devices to see if the 16 photos are there.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48212 03/13/18 02:29 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, on laptop, 16 are still not there.
I don't see library in left hand pane or imports.

I see: memories, activities, albums, people etc... no library..

kevs #48226 03/14/18 03:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Joe, I did test, a way, anyway to force the 16 images to the iphone from the desktop Photos. Share, and then software makes you create a new album. And even then it did not come up on iphone, I have to click share, then iphone chuggs along updating over 15 min. and even then is not in "ALL PHOTOS", only a special share folder.

But, they do appear in Instagram. So it works...

Bottom, line, I was very excited, to not have to plug in my iphone to the desktop to add photos. I could just drag them into photos-desktop- and they would efficiently make it to the iphone, but it does not seem a reality. I do have all the settings synced well per your nice screenshots in this thread.

So there is this workaround, but it's a few clicks a wait, a bit better than cording in the iphone to the desktop hub.

Conversely, When I take one image on an iphone that flies everywhere instantly, but dragging images into photos desktop.. real sluggish bummer of inefficiently with icloud.

Still this is all great info, thanks, any final ideas on this?

kevs #48228 03/14/18 05:41 PM

Normally I take pictures on my iPhone and forget about them until some time (hours? days? weeks?) later when I want to do some heavy-duty editing and I open Photos on my desktop the images all are. When I am in a hurry to move images from one device to another, I use Air Drop which takes only several seconds. To be honest, I seldom even think about iCloud, it catches up at some point.

I'm not sure whether images are "pushed" to iCloud or if there is some sort of schedule for database updates, I am inclined to think the images are "pushed" but there may be constraints such as the device is not busy❓

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48230 03/14/18 11:54 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Well clearly from phone to everything else is very rapid.

But from photos app on computer (desktop), you add photos in from a hardrive, they just don't move or get synced at all...

My point is sometimes I want to get photos from storage (hardrive) onto the iphone, and your method of using photos app on desktop is great (as opposed to having to plug in my iphone and do an upload), but it needs this push of sharing, creating an album to get icloud's attention.

kevs #48232 03/15/18 06:29 PM

You keep asking questions so I keep exploring and finding new things I did not know existed. smile

IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY TO GET AN IMAGE TO PHOTOS ON ICLOUD...
  1. Log onto your iCloud account and open the iCloud Photos App
  2. On the iCloud Photos toolbar click on the iCloud icon.
  3. Using the Finder navigation window that appears, navigate to the image(s) you want to upload.
  4. select the image(s) and click "Choose"
  5. A progress bar will appear at the bottom of the window indicating file upload progress.
COMMENT: The entire process can easily be performed in less that a minute to move an image from my desktop to iCloud Photos. That new image appeared in Photos on my iPhone approximately 14 seconds later. No folder or album was involved on the desktop, iCloud, or iPhone, just Photos > Moments > Today.

NOTE: I have tested this with a variety of image formats including JPG, JP2, GIF, MOV, PDF, PSD, TIF, PNG, and RAW. Unfortunately iCloud Photos currently recognizes only JPG for direct upload. FWIW I submitted an enhancement request that iCloud Photos should upload and import any file format supported on MacOS Photos.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/15/18 06:40 PM. Reason: clarification

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48234 03/15/18 08:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, your tests are appreciated! Will run this an time it as well.

One aspect that your previous tips helped was that instead of having to cord into my iphone to DOWNLOAD to my desktop the images, the iphone images do show up now in Photos desktop, this is great.

But from home hardrive to icloud (or iphone) that direction does not work or sync correct?

kevs #48235 03/15/18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
But from home hardrive to icloud (or iphone) that direction does not work or sync correct?

I have no problem with it myself. I just dropped an image on desktop Photos and by the time I could get Photos open on my iPhone 17 seconds later the image had been transferred to iCloud and from there to my iPhone. I have no clue why yours are taking so long other than all of my MacOS and iOS devices have high speed WiFi internet connections pretty much 24x7. I never turn any of them off.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48236 03/16/18 09:04 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks, interesting--
In direction of phone to photos desktop it's fine. Take image on iphone will appear on photos desktop quickly.

But if I copy from my hardrive to photos desktop - nothing moves. Now my desktop and laptop are not on wifi, but corded ethernet to internet (which is faster and more reliable than wifi), should be same then --. Other than that I'm clueless.

I got a stopwatch and it was 1 min 10 seconds to log into icloud and upload those 16 images. Thanks for the perspective, which I lose.. I hate logging into Apple, but the stopwatch does not lie. Its' not that long.

kevs #48237 03/16/18 09:48 PM

Whether your desktop is connected to the internet via. WiFi or ethernet might make make a few seconds difference in transfer speed but not what you are reporting. Al I can suggest is on your desktop check Photos > Preferences > iCloud settings and System Preferences > iCloud > Options one more time. FWIW mine look like this.

🤷‍♂️

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48238 03/17/18 01:37 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes Joe, I saved your screenshots and referenced them, triple check. It's just maddening then. So killer gremlin, the icloud Gods want me to go and log in to get those shots from desktop to phone!

kevs #48239 03/17/18 05:05 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Update Joe, good news, laptop.. to phone works.. continue detective work on desktop. thanks for letting me know this should work. that was important!

kevs #50179 10/08/18 03:16 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Update Joe others/ problem solved, 2 hours with senior supervisor Apple:

the issue why on desktop Photos, adding there, was not bringing them into iphone and elsewhere:

On Photos, desktop app, "copy items into the photos library" was unchecked. It needed to be checked. It was checked on the laptop.

All preference for icloud were ok, but photo general preferences was not in the mix there...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard