An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How long will ios updates work for phone 6?
#48120 03/05/18 01:23 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Navigation broke on my 6. I may then get a new 7. Honestly, if I knew ios would support a 6 forever, I may save few bucks and get replacement 6 six; hence for question: How long will ios updates work for phone 6?

Re: How long will ios updates work for phone 6?
kevs #48122 03/05/18 11:26 AM

Based on the past releases, I’d guess the iPhone 6 will see its final iOS update in 16 months (of a projected 58 months life cycle).

iPhone 1     intro: 2007-01-09    max: iPhone OS 3.1.3 (2010-02-04)    37 mos
iPhone 3G    intro: 2008-06-09    max: iOS 4.2 (2010-11-22)    29 mos
iPhone 3GS    intro: 2009-06-08    max: iOS 6.1.6 (2014-02-21)    56 mos
iPhone 4    intro: 2010-06-07    max: iOS 7.1.2 (2014-06-30)    49 mos
iPhone 4S    intro: 2011-10-04    max: iOS 9.3.5 (2016-08-25)    59 mos
iPhone 5    intro: 2012-09-12    max: iOS 10.3.3 (2017-07-19)    58 mos
iPhone 5s    intro: 2013-09-10    max: Current (2018-03-05)    54 mos+
iPhone 6    intro: 2014-09-09    max: Current (2018-03-05)    42 mos+
iPhone 6s    intro: 2015-09-09    max: Current (2018-03-05)    30 mos+
iPhone SE    intro: 2016-03-21    max: Current (2018-03-05)    23 mos+
iPhone 7    intro: 2016-09-07    max: Current (2018-03-05)    18 mos+
iPhone 8    intro: 2017-09-12    max: Current (2018-03-05)    6 mos+
iPhone X    intro: 2017-09-12    max: Current (2018-03-05)    6 mos+

kevs #48123 03/05/18 02:21 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks U, and others who would like to help:

1-So the 4 no longer is allowed to update?
2- And the 5 is on last breath?
3- And the 7 has how much life?

4-What are the main downsides to not being able to update the ios?

5- Would you have a full time phone without ability to update ios?

6-Do you consider this an important determinant of whether to continue with a model replacement?

kevs #48126 03/05/18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
5- Would you have a full time phone without ability to update ios?
Even the original iPhone will still work as a phone today [Forbes].

kevs #48127 03/05/18 03:15 PM

1-So the 4 no longer is allowed to update?

No the 4 is no longer supported

2- And the 5 is on last breath?

The 5 is no longer supported and the 5S will likely be dropped this year probably(?) with the release of iOS 12 this fall.

3- And the 7 has how much life?

If past history is a guide the 7 should be good for another 2 or 3 years (IMHO hardware-wise the iPhone 7 Plus is a "sweet spot" of functionality and features)

4-What are the main downsides to not being able to update the ios?
  1. you will not get security updates leaving you iOS device vulnerable to various exploits
  2. new applications and application updates may require later versions of iOS to run
  3. you are on your own for support
5- Would you have a full time phone without ability to update

Yes, but there could be limits imposed due to telco network changes

6-Do you consider this an important determinant of whether to continue with a model replacement?

Remember my bias toward the latest technology in this response. Yes I do and in addition I should point out there are important hardware driven functional changes and features in later model phones and probably even more important newer phones have newer batteries, use less power, and will last longer. If all you are using is the phone function and maybe text messaging your best buy would probably be a throwaway phone, but other posts indicate you are using more than just the phone and text. If you are like most of us you will find your "needs" will continue to grow the more you use your iPhone.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48128 03/05/18 03:28 PM

4.2.b Third party online services may require updates to keep working, and simply lock out older versions. That can be a problem for the user if the new version of the app is not compatible with the old device and/or iOS.

Urquhart #48130 03/05/18 04:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, U.

I have an iphone6 for 3 years or so. I would have kept it till dies, I'm happy with the 6, but navigation broke. Never used navigation in a car, but now I love it. It's hardware, I tested all the software at genius bar.

I was thinking of a used 6 on craigs list or a new replacement from apple store $300.

But yesterday the apple folks suggested getting new 7 for $550

I was not hoping to spend another $550... for one dang thing (navigation), but as you all point out it's more... so I'm leaning now toward a new 7.

Would either of you ever buy a used phone 3 party for you primary phone?

kevs #48131 03/05/18 04:19 PM

Would either of you ever buy a used phone 3 party for you primary phone?

Refurbished iPhone - Apple

The Apple refurbished Store is a much better option than craigslist (if, of course, you can find the model you want), because all of its offerings come with Apple's standard one year warrantee.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48132 03/05/18 07:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, and others. So you would not buy an iphone used from a stranger?

Ah.. see nice selection there, final question for all:

-- Go with refurbished for $500 over brand new $550?
(is a reburbished essentially new or is new worth extra $50 for new?)
I'll take all your opinions, thanks!

Last edited by kevs; 03/05/18 07:49 PM.
kevs #48133 03/05/18 08:09 PM

Personally I would not buy a used iPhone from a stranger. You never know how it has been handled, If proper care has been taken with the battery, if it has had frequent problems ie. a lemon and at that age there is no AppleCare or warranty. In fact if it hasn't been properly prepped for resale you could end up not even being able to get into it.

As Artie pointed out ,,,
Originally Posted By: Apple
We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty.

All refurbished iPhone models also include a brand new battery, new outer shell and a new white box.
..,and I believe they are also eligible for AppleCare.

Having gone through several iPhones over the years I would not want one without the factory warranty and from what I have heard and reed third party warranties are not worth their price. Adding AppleCare to an Apple Refurbished iPhone 7 will likely push you over your $550 limit, but in my opinion it would be the best investment.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48134 03/05/18 08:44 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe thanks.
You would go with 7, not 6.

And would you spend $50 more for brand new over refurished? Or you think refurbished is 100% as good as brand new?

Apple care you recommend? But does not cover if lose it, though I think any homeowners policy might.. but they have nasty deductables

kevs #48136 03/05/18 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: keys
You would go with 7, not 6
Yes technically the 7 is a good step up from the 6 and should last longer
And would you spend $50 more for brand new over refurished? Or you think refurbished is 100% as good as brand new?
You haven't mentioned how much storage you are looking for and that makes a substantial price differential. A rebuilt 32GB iPhone 7 is going for $499 and the 128GB iPhone 7 is $589. That is a bigger lump than the premium for a new iPhone. I know several people who bought iPhones with minimal storage and most have regretted it. IF you are willing to maximize your use of iCloud storage and stringently limit the number of apps on your iPhone, you can get by with 32GB of storage but the additional $90 for the 128GB model will be a lot more comfortable and take a lot less data management time and effort. I am not ducking the question of new vs. refurbished but I think you need to make the storage capacity decision first. Then when you know the full cost you can look at the new vs rebuilt question. If I am correct that you can buy AppleCare for a factory rebuilt iPhone then an 8 to 10% premium for new would IMO not be worth it.
Apple care you recommend? But does not cover if lose it, though I think any homeowners policy might.. but they have nasty deductable
AppleCare covers
Originally Posted By: Apple
AppleCare+ provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians. Service coverage includes the following:

Your iPhone
Battery
Included earphones and accessories
Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage,2 each subject to a service fee of $29 for screen damage, or $99 for any other damage, plus applicable tax
...but it does not cover loss or theft. Talk to your insurance agent and they may offer a rider on your homeowners policy to reduce the deductible on an iPhone specifically listed on the policy. I know that is true on my policy under a section for computers and electronics. But then you have to weigh the premium cost in the decision equation.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/05/18 10:45 PM. Reason: I wish spell checker would stop mis-correcting my grammar

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48138 03/05/18 11:46 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, on my 16 GB I always seem to have 8bg free. What am I doing right??

Only reason I'm thinking of going to 32 gb is to do 45 min videos...

What takes up so much space?

I do have the icloud $1 month plan for 50GB

I don't keep many photos in photos. I use and then declutter.

Ok just checked on phone:
says icloud drive 25 gb of 50 gb is used
But the phone says 9gb of 16 is used.

What do you make of that..?
Thanks

Last edited by kevs; 03/06/18 12:01 AM.
kevs #48140 03/06/18 01:17 AM

Artie, and others. So you would not buy an iphone used from a stranger?

I recently bought two land line memory phones on eBay, both of which were "Brand new, tested, open box", and both were defective. (No refund problems, happily.) Luckily I was able to make the determinations instantly, but many electronic devices, e.g. iPhones, have so much functionality that it's virtually impossible to test it all on the spot, so I'll NEVER buy one such without a manufacturer's warrantee.

You could sell your iPhone as "fully functional", and if the next owner ever actually does find out that Navigation is kaput it may be too late to do anything about it.

And you could just as easily be on the receiving end.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #48141 03/06/18 02:20 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes concur with that. Leaning towards 32GB or or larger GB.... 7 refurbished with Apple care..

Last edited by kevs; 03/06/18 02:21 AM.
kevs #48145 03/06/18 03:42 PM

Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage and it will show a breakdown of storage usage on your iPhone by data type as well as an app by app detail of the size of the app and the data associated with it. For most people I think the biggest users of storage are unquestionably Photos and Music because for whatever reason they are reluctant to store their precious full resolution photos on iCloud, and they want to have every tune on their phone so it can be played without an internet connection.

I have Photos set to store optimized images on the iPhone and keep the full resolution images on iCloud Drive. As a result 4,867 optimized images occupy 1.03 GB on the iPhone and the same images in full resolution occupy 19.5 GB on the iCloud Drive. The images display and can be edited perfectly on the iPhone but if I share them they can be drawn from the full resolution images on iCloud transparently. Likewise I have all my tunes stored on Apple's iTunes Library (which does not count against my iCloud Drive allocation) and stream them from there to play them. Otherwise I would need much larger storage on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad (128 GB might not be big enough on the iOS devices).

Trying to compare iCloud storage size to iPhone is difficult for many reasons including data compression on the iPhone and the fact there are a lot of things stored on the iCloud Drive that do not show up in Finder such as iPhone backups. Don't forget that you may be storing a lot of data from your Mac up there as well. FWIW System Preferences > iCloud > Manage will give you an app by app breakdown of data stored on the iCloud Drive but that does not differentiate what device stored the data on iCloud Drive and in my case the biggest clump is labeled "Other" and I suppose contains the Desktop and Documents folders from my MacBook Pro.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/06/18 03:51 PM. Reason: clarification

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48147 03/06/18 04:12 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe good info.. Well being you see the phone is now 8GB or 16, you think then a 32GB should be good? Considering how trim things are now?

I do want to potentially shoot 1/2 videos -- and the info I got is that 1/2 hr takes up about 8GB.. that would still just put me at 16gb.

I use an old click click wheel ipod for music outside. I prefer forwarding songs with a tactile click.

kevs #48150 03/06/18 06:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok just ordered refurbished 32 GB 7 $499

Did not get apple care. I think that only gives one extra year and $129? seems pricey. My 6 I went 3 years without a hitch.

And they want $99 per incident for..?

Checkout on Apple site, surprised I had to fill in all address fields shipping even though that was in my account...

kevs #48168 03/08/18 06:37 AM

Navigation broke on my 6. I may then get a new 7. Honestly, if I knew ios would support a 6 forever, I may save few bucks and get replacement 6 six; hence for question: How long will ios updates work for phone 6?

It may be too late given your most recent post, but for what it's worth ...

In his Tech Fix column (Should You Get a Cheaper Phone?) in The New York Times Brian X. Chen opines inter alia:
"Another option, if you prefer iPhones, is to buy an older iPhone model. Apple is still selling the iPhone 6s, introduced in 2015, which is reasonably fast with a nice camera and a good screen. It costs $449 through Apple, but you may find it much cheaper elsewhere. What’s more, Apple typically supports its iPhones for about five years, so the 6s should continue to get software updates through 2020."

grelber #48172 03/08/18 04:23 PM

Like Chinese restaurants, bagels and cheesecake, everyone has their personal favorites. This Forbes article says that there are more under-the-hood improvements in the iPhone 7 that might make it a better choice. Specifically, added durability, water resistance, upgraded camera, performance gains, brighter display and bigger storage options.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #48177 03/08/18 05:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira, thanks nice info. The refurshed 7 just came by UPS in last hour.

The no headphone jack: there is an adaptor then for that?
Haptack feedback what is that?
3D touch easy way to get rid of that? I notice using keyboard on other phones this feature feels weird.

kevs #48188 03/08/18 11:54 PM

There is an adaptor to convert the lightning port to a heathen jack. You can find them less expensively on Amazon.

Haptick feed is when our iPhone vibrates instead or or in addition to making a noise to alert you to events such as the phone ringing, incoming texts, etc.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #48190 03/09/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
There is an adaptor to convert the lightning port to a heathen jack. You can find them less expensively on Amazon.

A "heathen jack"? Spits on the church altar, huh?

kevs's iPhone 7 should have come with a Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone heathen Jack Adapter in the box.

Last edited by artie505; 03/09/18 01:09 AM. Reason: Add link

artie505 #48192 03/09/18 01:17 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, adapter was not there.. so I'll get on Amazon.
I guess refurbished they don't provide?

kevs #48193 03/09/18 01:42 AM

Thanks, adapter was not there.. so I'll get on Amazon.
I guess refurbished they don't provide?

If you bought your iPhone 7 from the Apple Refurbished Store you should have gotten exactly what's shown in the screenshot I posted.

If you didn't buy an Apple refurb, you may be out of luck.

Update: I just searched Amazon for refurbished iphone 7 and found...

Quote:
This is a Certified Refurbished product on Amazon Renewed
Certified Refurbished products are tested and certified to look and work like new, with limited to no wear, by a third-party refurbisher. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, cosmetic inspection, and repackaging. The product is backed by a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic brown or white box. The product ships with a charger and cable, but does not include headphone, manual or SIM card. Accessories may be generic and not directly from the Manufacturer. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon Renewed. (Emphasis added)

You apparently didn't buy an Apple refurb, and "does not include" apparently includes a headphone jack. (You also got a minimal 90 day warrantee, NOT Apple's 1 year, nor can you buy AppleCare if you want it.)

Personally, I'd return it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard