for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
App? System? Plugins? Capturing LARGE Google Maps
#4790 10/07/09 10:52 PM
OP Offline

(Posted also at MacOSXHints and MacNN forums. You may also want to view those threads.)

I'm trying to capture LARGE Google maps (in excess of my largest possible monitor resolution).

I tried the tutorial at the link below, and followed it to the letter.

http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/how-to-capture-large-maps-from-google-maps.html

After saving the text file as "***.html" I try to open it in Firefox and all I see is the actual code. It doesn't open the big map in my browser window. JFI, I tried also after disabling the NoScript and AdBlock Plus extensions. I also made sure to allow java, javascript and pop-up windows in Firefox prefs...that's all I can figure out to do.

Long-Time user "Las_Vegas" over at MOSXH Forums has no trouble with the method. He made a couple recommendations but I've had no luck. I know this almost like asking someone to become a mindreader, but since I can't get this to work in ANY browser I'm wondering if the culprit might be in my ../BootVolume/Library/Internet Plug-Ins. I can't figure out how I could tell without trading them in and out. BUT, If I trade them out of that folder for testing purposes, what I'm trying to access and do through the Google API might not work.

[img]http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1wZJzPSTfADr1yw7bjtw1TYUklyvv[/img]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In case anyone can suss the problem just by looking at the code, or wants to try the capture for themselves, here it is. I'm using Seinfeld's apartment address from the TV show as an example:
Code:
<iframe width="6000" height="6000" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=129+W.+81st+Street+New+York+NY&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=43.393645,63.017578&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=129+W+81+St,+New+York,+10024&amp;ll=40.783614,-73.97535&amp;spn=0.000636,0.000962&amp;t=h&amp;z=20&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=129+W.+81st+Street+New+York+NY&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=43.393645,63.017578&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=129+W+81+St,+New+York,+10024&amp;ll=40.783614,-73.97535&amp;spn=0.000636,0.000962&amp;t=h&amp;z=20" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Last edited by Phos....; 10/08/09 12:44 AM. Reason: Fixed URL

We write what we are.
Re: App? System? Plugins? Capturing LARGE Google M
Phos.... #4791 10/07/09 11:14 PM

if you're using TExt Edit, or any text editor, I would guess, don't use the " " around the Save As, it should just be mymap.html

that's what worked for me.

FF opened it just fine, and ScreenGrab did the job.

pretty cool, actually.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #4792 10/07/09 11:46 PM
OP Offline

I didn't use quotation marks in the file name. That was pasted from another forum wherein I was lazy about the formatting, so I used the quotes as erstwhile separators from the rest of the text.

(In fact, I'm not sure I've ever used quotation marks in any file name...and I've been known to push the limits with odd characters! [Windows users have threatened to set me on fire over this tongue ] )

I can't get it to work in ANY version of ANY browser...when "Las_Vegas" from the MacOSXHints forum had no problems...

Last edited by Phos....; 10/07/09 11:53 PM.

We write what we are.
Phos.... #4794 10/08/09 12:19 AM

Hello, Phos....

Just to let you know, using Safari, Firefox, and Camino, I clicked on your link which begins
http colon slash slash www dot dq dot winsila dot com slash etc

Here is what I see:
Quote:
Page not found — Digital Quest
You 404'd it. Gnarly, dude.

Surfin’ ain’t easy, and right now, you’re lost at sea. But don’t worry; simply pick an option from the list below, and you’ll be back out riding the waves of the Internet in no time.

• Hit the “back” button on your browser. It’s perfect for situations like this!
• Head on over to the home page.
• Punt.

I am wondering if this is correct?
How to easily capture large maps from google maps?

Last edited by dianne; 10/08/09 12:20 AM. Reason: moved from the "Mac OS X Applications" forum.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #4795 10/08/09 12:33 AM
OP Offline

Yeah, that's the proper link, Dianne...Thanks. I copy/pasted from my original posting elsewhere, and missed the truncation.

Whoopsie-Daisy! wink cool

(It'd be cool by me if you could fix it in my thread starter post, as well). EDIT/ADD: I'm so used to forums where editing is closed after a reply is made that I didn't realize I could fix it myself. Soooo...the URL is FIXED! smile

(Also, as a point of order, I'm not sure "Networking" is the most likely place people would look to place email and browser questions, particularly those which have more to do with the browser APPLICATION as opposed to connectivity issues. Take that for whatever value you find in it... smile )

Last edited by Phos....; 10/08/09 12:46 AM. Reason: Clarification

We write what we are.
Phos.... #4798 10/08/09 04:15 AM
OP Offline

Solution found!

My pal James Dempsey from The Graphic Mac popped into my thread about this over at MacTech's forum and offered the following solution:

Quote:
Follow the steps as stated in the first link. When you paste the code into TextEdit, make sure you go under the Format menu and choose Make Plain Text (Command + Shift + T). Now go to the Save As dialog box, make sure that just below the file list the dropdown menu "Plain Text Encoding" has Unicode (UTF-8) selected. Name your file and add .html as the extension.

That should work for you. The key is making sure it is a Plain Text file before saving

For practically ever, I've had TextEdit's preferences set to create all new documents in *.rtf (Rich Text Format). Command + Shift + T on the selected text makes the document Plain Text, and makes it work.

Thanks to those here who participated...and help me thank James for getting it sussed by taking a jump over to his The Graphic Mac blog for "Tips, reviews & more on all things OSX & graphic design."

We write what we are.
Phos.... #4808 10/08/09 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Phos....
I didn't use quotation marks in the file name. That was pasted from another forum wherein I was lazy about the formatting, so I used the quotes as erstwhile separators from the rest of the text.

glad you got it worked out, but the quotes I mentioned are in the original artivle you linked to:
Quote:
(Tip: In the Save dialog box enter the name as “mymap.html” including the quotes to force Notepad to save the file with the extension .html and not .txt) (emphasis mine)

and I did change to Plain Text, just forgot to mention it.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard